WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Manfredi makes his comeback

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com Manfredi makes his comeback

Re: Manfredi makes his comeback
Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:04 pm
Posted by CobraCraig on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:04 pm
CobraCraig Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 123
Rep Position: 124th / 77,612

Quiz Score: 0

Not come on for the second half but I don’t think he’s injured as he seems in good spirits chatting away on the sideline
Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:56 pm
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:56 pm
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 34
Rep Position: 208th / 77,612

It was a decent effort from Dom given how long he's been out. He's obviously a long way from match fitness but that 40 minutes should give him confidence. The game wasn't great though. Looked like men against boys at times as Fax had a very big side that was struggled to deal with. Samy Kibula was our best player and played about an hour. A good first stint as a ball playing 13 and was a key part of the attacking structure. Had to be more direct in the second half but created a try with a very good pass.
Sam Grant was also very impressive at centre and caused problems. Our halves really struggled though.
Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:01 pm
Posted by CobraCraig on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:01 pm
Cheeky half-back

I like Kibulas handling skills but he doesn’t hit the ball up enough for me and he is very work shy defensively. He is very good at passing on the line ala James Graham and his show and goes he looks like a half back but im not sure where he is going to go in his career,maybe trim up and be a ball playing 13 or a short stint bartering ram prop?
Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:03 pm
Posted by Cherry.Pie on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:03 pm
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 34
Rep Position: 208th / 77,612

CobraCraig wrote:
I like Kibulas handling skills but he doesn’t hit the ball up enough for me and he is very work shy defensively. He is very good at passing on the line ala James Graham and his show and goes he looks like a half back but im not sure where he is going to go in his career,maybe trim up and be a ball playing 13 or a short stint bartering ram prop?

That's why I think he's better off as a ball playing loose forward. If he plays the same way as Lockers he'd do half as many drives as the props but get his hands on the ball quite often as first receiver. As you mention at the moment his issue is his defence. I don't think the issue is necessarily that he's work shy, but that he's slow in and around the tackle. He turns his back too often when he's slow to retreat and sometimes when he's not first or second to the tackle he's left grasping or slow to bring the man down. Best thing he could do IMO is work with Ben Flower as there's nobody at the club better at controlling the tackle and making sure the defenders have enough time to retreat.
Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:46 pm
Posted by wiganermike on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:46 pm
wiganermike Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 226th / 77,612

Quiz Score: 68

Excellent news about Dom getting through 40 minutes with the tries being a nice bonus. Doesn't matter for me if he doesn't manage to play for the first team this year so long as he can stay injury free and get his career back on track.
Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:51 pm
Posted by CobraCraig on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:51 pm
Cheeky half-back

Cherry.Pie wrote:
That's why I think he's better off as a ball playing loose forward. If he plays the same way as Lockers he'd do half as many drives as the props but get his hands on the ball quite often as first receiver. As you mention at the moment his issue is his defence. I don't think the issue is necessarily that he's work shy, but that he's slow in and around the tackle. He turns his back too often when he's slow to retreat and sometimes when he's not first or second to the tackle he's left grasping or slow to bring the man down. Best thing he could do IMO is work with Ben Flower as there's nobody at the club better at controlling the tackle and making sure the defenders have enough time to retreat.

I focused on him a lot in the reserve game against Halifax a couple of weeks back and to me he seemed to stay away from getting involved in the tackle unless he really had to, he would never get in as the second man even when he was the closest man to the initial tackler. He did play the majority of that game but I’d say he’s work shy, he certainly doesn’t have ‘mongrel’ in him that someone like Hamlin has.
Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:14 pm
Posted by KingRoss11 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:14 pm
KingRoss11 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 125
Rep Position: 122nd / 77,612

He’d be a very good ball playing 13 imo, I’d try make him a bit leaner and fitter, at 13 he’d be taking in less carries and making less tackles
Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:09 am
Posted by Levrier on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:09 am
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 113
Rep Position: 132nd / 77,612

The more that I see of Grant the more I admire his skills. With a bit of building up he could do very well.
Sammy Kibula is an interesting one. He probably has another six years before reaching his peak. His ball handling skills are good enough to play in the backs. I would hate to see him relegated to nothing more than smash and bash. Here is a left field idea, what about bringing him in on the wing :BOW:
Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:56 am
Posted by CobraCraig on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:56 am
Cheeky half-back

Levrier wrote:
The more that I see of Grant the more I admire his skills. With a bit of building up he could do very well.
Sammy Kibula is an interesting one. He probably has another six years before reaching his peak. His ball handling skills are good enough to play in the backs. I would hate to see him relegated to nothing more than smash and bash. Here is a left field idea, what about bringing him in on the wing :BOW:

He and the club are in a bit of a conundrum with regards to where his career will go, the fact you are suggesting he could play on the wing,however tongue in cheek says it all.
For me I’d like to see him as a ball playing prop, making passes at the line ala Graham and causing havoc offloading ala Cuthbertson. He certainly has the skills to do this but he has fairly glaring weaknesses which will get exposed in the Superleague at the moment.
Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 am
Posted by hengirl on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 am
hengirl Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 128
Rep Position: 119th / 77,612

Have to agree with the comments about Kibula he’s a long way from being ready but if they invest the time in him he could be special,but he’s nowhere near ready for the first team in my opinion,quite why people were raving on about him being ready I’ll not know,he’s just giing at his own pace and that’s fine I do feel if they stick with him he could be something indeed.

As for Don it was great to see him,and I’ll say this I hope they don’t put him anywhere near the first team this season get him right for next year why rush him really?
PreviousNext