FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:56 pm  
jonh wrote:
The lad who told me this had been involved with many clubs and the England set up.

He likes Cooper, he was simply pointing out he is the kind of character that can influence others within a group and if he is unhappy it is felt within the group in a major way.

I think he’s been generally fine over the years however his relationship with Powell is soured to the point a major rift has developed between them and due to Coopers influence has created rifts between team mates also.


Ok but if Cooper’s influence is so toxic then why has he not been moved on immediately like King, Charley?
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:57 pm  
MadDogg wrote:
Hearing there is NRL interest in Matty Nicholson.


I am not surprised.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:26 am  
Zig wrote:
Ok but if Cooper’s influence is so toxic then why has he not been moved on immediately like King, Charley?


I think it’s fairly obvious given Wires recruitment for next year that they literally have no props. If they can get a replacement in for him just like they have King and Charnley then who can perform at a similar or higher level he will be gone.

Whilst ever he is performing though I doubt they will move him on. Probably less likely now that Philbin is out for the season too, especially as they still clearly have hopes of making the 6.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:53 am  
Zig wrote:
Ok but if Cooper’s influence is so toxic then why has he not been moved on immediately like King, Charley?

Briers has worked with Cooper all his playing days Matt Peet says he would not sign players who are not fully committed .Briers would have told Peet if he thought Cooper was a bad egg and he would have not been signed.Its only for 12 months any way and Peet has shown he is ruthless ala Hardaker .
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:08 am  
Sounds like Cooper is more a wingeing git rather than a bad egg, I’d say a big difference. Negativity can certainly breed more negativity but a lot of top sportsman focus on the negatives and try to improve them rather than the positives. On the pitch he is still performing brilliantly for a man of his age and I for one am pleased with the signing.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:27 am  
CobraCraig wrote:
Sounds like Cooper is more a wingeing git rather than a bad egg, I’d say a big difference. Negativity can certainly breed more negativity but a lot of top sportsman focus on the negatives and try to improve them rather than the positives. On the pitch he is still performing brilliantly for a man of his age and I for one am pleased with the signing.



All the top players generally have an ego. Sam Burgess is a great example of this. Loved and hated in equal measure by some of his team mates over the years.

It’s that single mindedness that often makes them great players.

Cooper doesn’t like what is happening at Wire and the direction it is going in and is making it well known that is the case. That may be toxic in one culture but not in another.

I am sure Briers but also Wane via England and Peet will be aware of this and are confident that his ego will be a positive influence over our culture.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:39 am  
Cooper is an intelligent and articulate man. As has been said Briers knows him better than most and there's no way he'd be signed by Wigan if he was a trouble maker. If there are things he feels are wrong at Warrington then it wouldn't surprise me if he articulated those feelings. He always came over as thinking the world of Warrington RL, his home town club. It could well be that he has concluded that the new regime there means it's the end of the road for him at Warrington.
He will have spoken to Briers at length over his move and doubtless will have had any number of conversations with Matty Peet. He is still in excellent form and I'm very pleased with him signing for us.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:17 am  
jonh wrote:
I think it’s fairly obvious given Wires recruitment for next year that they literally have no props. If they can get a replacement in for him just like they have King and Charnley then who can perform at a similar or higher level he will be gone.

Whilst ever he is performing though I doubt they will move him on. Probably less likely now that Philbin is out for the season too, especially as they still clearly have hopes of making the 6.


Well, according to the Wire website they have nine props in their first team squad. There is no way that Cooper would still be there if he is as bad as your mate says.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:18 am  
jaws1 wrote:
Briers has worked with Cooper all his playing days Matt Peet says he would not sign players who are not fully committed .Briers would have told Peet if he thought Cooper was a bad egg and he would have not been signed.Its only for 12 months any way and Peet has shown he is ruthless ala Hardaker .


I don't think he is a problem mate.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:20 pm  
Sweaty Betty's wrote:
Well, according to the Wire website they have nine props in their first team squad. There is no way that Cooper would still be there if he is as bad as your mate says.


All of whom Powell wants gone hence the reason they have signed 1 prop mid season and 4 more coming in during the offseason.

They didn’t get rid of King until they could replace him.

His conduct at Wire and his thoughts on the situation and how things are at the club may be negative because he isn’t going to conform if he doesn’t like the direction the club is going.

It’s not a bad or negative trait it’s the quality of a leader and in the right environment one that should be very positive.

In simple terms as I’m not sure you are getting the point Shaun Edwards and Dean Bell would be described as toxic to the culture of the club under John Dorahay, where they pretty much took over from him and disregarded his authority. Under every other coach they played under they were seen as leaders and great club men, even whilst at the same club.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 119 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors