WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9

Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Rumours and signings v9

Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:17 pm  

apollosghost wrote:
apollosghost Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

jonh wrote:
Steve Renouf championing a Marshall move to Wigan.

Good signing IF Hastings goes.
Would be nice to have a settled half-back partnership for three or four seasons though.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:51 pm  

Azul wrote:
Azul Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

100% Warrior wrote:
I think French will go, which is a huge shame but he has a lot more to give in the NRL so I can’t say I blame him. He’s been superb during his time here, he’s won us games on his own. Good luck to the lad, certainly no hard feelings from me.

Hastings I think will go. I’ve never really felt his commitment and I don’t think he’s ever been truly happy to come to Wigan.

I’d shake French’s hand at the airport and wish him well. Highest respect for how he’s conducted himself & performed.
JH would get a middle finger. Good riddance
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:15 pm  

User avatarMadDogg wrote:
MadDogg User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Re French - he's been awesome for us and conducted himself brilliantly. I still dont understand though why we need to release him this year. As far as I'm aware he signed a contract until the end of 2021. Why do we need to release players from their contracts when an NRL club clicks its fingers?

As far as Hastings goes I think the only thing hes been guilty of is some slightly naive use of social media. Other than that he's given his all on the field - what more can you ask for?
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:31 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Azul wrote:
I’d shake French’s hand at the airport and wish him well. Highest respect for how he’s conducted himself & performed.
JH would get a middle finger. Good riddance

Genuine question as I don’t get the Hastings bashers, why do you feel like that.

He is playing out of his skin maybe the best half I think I’ve seen in the shirt since Barrett, so why the wish to see him gone?
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:50 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Nobody can knock Hastings efforts on the field, he’s a winner and has left absolutely everything out on the field. Off the field there have been one or two things he’s posted on social media that have been a bit silly and just polar opposite to how he expressed his gratitude and feeling for Salford both during his time there and since. The one which grated on me a little was him commenting on Gildarts positive posts about the club with things like ‘tell them what you really think’ and ‘how’s about they give us full pay’ or words to that effect. It just seemed really poor to be washing dirty linen in public and dragging another player in to it.

One thing I will say is it’s been a very strange time to welcome a signing like Hastings. He’s all heart and effort on the field and at Salford he seemed to fall in love with the club off the field. If times had been different and he’d have experienced the atmosphere of Saints away, Wire away, club functions, fan days etc then that would’ve got a more natural connection going. As it is he’ll go after one year and hopefully he’ll go with a trophy or two behind him. If he does that nobody will say a bad word about him.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:00 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:
Nobody can knock Hastings efforts on the field, he’s a winner and has left absolutely everything out on the field. Off the field there have been one or two things he’s posted on social media that have been a bit silly and just polar opposite to how he expressed his gratitude and feeling for Salford both during his time there and since. The one which grated on me a little was him commenting on Gildarts positive posts about the club with things like ‘tell them what you really think’ and ‘how’s about they give us full pay’ or words to that effect. It just seemed really poor to be washing dirty linen in public and dragging another player in to it.

One thing I will say is it’s been a very strange time to welcome a signing like Hastings. He’s all heart and effort on the field and at Salford he seemed to fall in love with the club off the field. If times had been different and he’d have experienced the atmosphere of Saints away, Wire away, club functions, fan days etc then that would’ve got a more natural connection going. As it is he’ll go after one year and hopefully he’ll go with a trophy or two behind him. If he does that nobody will say a bad word about him.

I think the current climate is against him as you say.

Not able to fully immerse himself in the club and the culture of the fans. For me that’s a big part of this negative perception of a player who is a massive asset to the club.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:14 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

jonh wrote:
I think the current climate is against him as you say.

Not able to fully immerse himself in the club and the culture of the fans. For me that’s a big part of this negative perception of a player who is a massive asset to the club.

I think we're going through a period a bit like in the early 90s, where the media were all over sportsmen, but they didn't have the training/advice/savvy to manage it. Now players are given a lot more preparation for the media and generally manage not to slip up (usually by saying nothing interesting). Now we have social media which is even more dangerous to sportsmen but they don't seem to have it hammered into them yet that they need to either keep it private to people they know, or if public then don't say anything that could be construed as controversial.

That Gildart one is potentially a good example. If we knew the meaning behind what he said then we may well learn it wasn't what people assume. I've had first hand experience of seeing fans misconstrue something they've read on social media or heard on the pitch, and the people they concern not being in a position to correct them. Take the Cas game the other week. Barrie McDermott jokingly mentions he would back Tony Martin's decision because of the part of the world he is from. Next thing it is all over the Cas forum that Tony is from Wigan and that's why he awarded us a forward pass, a joke that he is allowed to officiate us etc. One small problem - he's from Oldham, the same as Barrie.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:29 pm  

CobraCraig wrote:
CobraCraig Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Ruddy Duck wrote:
If Lussick is no better than Powell, why be interested in him?

Where do I 1. say Lussick is no better than Powell and 2. say I would be interested in him?
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:17 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

MadDogg wrote:
Re French - he's been awesome for us and conducted himself brilliantly. I still dont understand though why we need to release him this year. As far as I'm aware he signed a contract until the end of 2021. Why do we need to release players from their contracts when an NRL club clicks its fingers?

As far as Hastings goes I think the only thing hes been guilty of is some slightly naive use of social media. Other than that he's given his all on the field - what more can you ask for?

Hastings outstanding again.

I know French got MOTM but once again for me Hastings comfortably the best player on the field.

Defence, direction and control.

Superb.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:23 pm  

hengirl wrote:
hengirl Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

NickyKiss wrote:

The Salford love came from the fact they rescued him, both as a person and as a player, his podcast is very illuminating (shame he didn't do more)Blease and Watson welcomed him into their homes and he does seem like a loyal kind of guy.

I really hope he stays anfnotmake the mistake of moving into union or go home he is a class player thats finding his feet here each time he plays.
PreviousNext