Board index Super League Wigan Warriors Rumours and signings v9

Re: Rumours and signings v9 Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:46 pm  

100% Warrior wrote:
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

jonh wrote:
Yes. Definitely Singleton I hear.

Good signing in my opinion.

Disagree. He’s average at best IMO and considering we have an abundance of average at best props he adds little except to make our pack more average at best.

I’m willing to give him a chance but I’m not enthused whatsoever.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:46 pm  

Wigg'n wrote:
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Can't say I've ever taken much note of Singleton but if you look at his games so far this season, his stats are very much like our current props...

vs. Warrington
30 tackles
6 carries
34 metres

vs. Wigan
53 tackles
8 carries
44 metres

vs. Cas
28 tackles
6 carries
43 metres
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:07 pm  

Cherry.Pie wrote:
Cherry.Pie Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Decent enough player but seems so similar to our current props that I find the signing a bit puzzling. In Partington and Clark we have 2 players who have a good defensive work rate, plenty of aggression but offer very little in attack. Singleton from what I've seen fits into that category. Why are we so averse to signing props who can offer something in both attack and defence, rather than being more skilled in one or the other? If he had a cracking offload or a bit of ball playing ability then I'd be more enthused.

Not saying he can't be a good signing. Just really puzzled by our front row signings over the years. For me the team lacks truly dangerous, ball playing forwards and it makes us so predictable.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:09 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I think it’s pretty obvious he’s been signed as an experienced and cheap body to replace Flower (and Clubb in time) and supplement the youth we’ve got. We have some brilliant young props to call on but you don’t want to be going in to a game with all 4 props being 21 or under or in Bullocks case being inexperienced at the top level. Ultimately we have a lot if cap space tied up in George Burgess and we’re going to have to cut our cloth now.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:05 pm  
Sweaty Betty's User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

NickyKiss wrote:
I think it’s pretty obvious he’s been signed as an experienced and cheap body to replace Flower (and Clubb in time) and supplement the youth we’ve got. We have some brilliant young props to call on but you don’t want to be going in to a game with all 4 props being 21 or under or in Bullocks case being inexperienced at the top level. Ultimately we have a lot if cap space tied up in George Burgess and we’re going to have to cut our cloth now.

Only £175k.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:18 pm  

hengirl wrote:
hengirl Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Sweaty Betty's wrote:
Only £175k.

I’d assume the big lad will be on far more than that
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:34 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Even 175k is a decent wedge of cap for a prop. You’d expect one of the leagues best 3 or 4 props for that but so far he’s not been one of our best 3 or 4.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:35 pm  

Father Ted wrote:
Father Ted Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

George Burgess will be on far more than that financial balance sheet wise but £175k on the salary cap.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:15 pm  

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

100% Warrior wrote:
Disagree. He’s average at best IMO and considering we have an abundance of average at best props he adds little except to make our pack more average at best.

I’m willing to give him a chance but I’m not enthused whatsoever.

Neither am I, especially after seeing a top club like Leeds allowing him to go to Toronto, the squad of which is full of cast offs of other clubs.

Another average or past it signing following in the wake of Jake Bibby, George Burgess, Joe Bullock, Chris Hankinson, Mitch Clarke etc.

Where are the great signings of the Madge era?
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:04 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Neither am I, especially after seeing a top club like Leeds allowing him to go to Toronto, the squad of which is full of cast offs of other clubs.

Another average or past it signing following in the wake of Jake Bibby, George Burgess, Joe Bullock, Chris Hankinson, Mitch Clarke etc.

Where are the great signings of the Madge era?

We have literally just come off our biggest spending spree in god knows how long, bringing in Hastings, G.Burgess and Bibby. We have also signed Bateman for next year. I don't know what you expect. Burgess may turn out to be a bust but there's no denying it was a massive signing on paper.

Under Maguire we only signed a 31 year old Paul Deacon and won the Grand Final. The following year we got lucky with Melbourne being over the salary cap, and still only signed similar level players to what we have signed recently.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
PreviousNext