Post Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1142
Rep Position: th / 78,109

Quiz Score: 0

Not sure they’ll pay for him but we’ll see. I’m certain a club would pick him up for free. He’s no giant but it’s never harmed him in superleague and he’s got a couple of noticeable performances under his belt in rep games (totally outplayed Jack Bird in the Cronulla WCC game and did really well in that England game at Hull).

Once Gildart goes that’ll be the last of that group of mates (Burgess, Bateman, Sutton, Williams and Gildart) to go over to the NRL. Hopefully that can help stem the flow of players going over. Those lads are clearly all pretty close and if they see one lad do something, they’re part of that new generation of lads who seem to live in each other’s pockets and follow the trend. It’s always been the case to a degree but not quite like the 18-25 year olds I see knocking about today.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Wed May 27, 2020 9:04 pm
Posted by Pie_Eyter on Wed May 27, 2020 9:04 pm
Pie_Eyter Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 100
Rep Position: 28th / 78,109

Gildart was set for going last year but his family persuaded him to stay for this year. Don't ask me how i know, i just know :D :D but he does want to test himself over there and with him being a low risk signing in terms of wages for the NRL in a time where they want to slash their wage bill i think he will be going. Problem with your thought process Nicky is the one i have just countered it with. NRL sides will now be looking for low risk wage players with big potential. I am pretty sure Smithies and Partington were being courted by Melbourne (Brian might be able to confirm) and the current climate might force their hand to go for these players. I just hope and pray that the days of SL being a feeder league for the NRL might be coming to an end if they have to bring their salary cap more in line with ours and we can keep our promising players for longer.
Post Thu May 28, 2020 5:07 am
Posted by Ruddy Duck on Thu May 28, 2020 5:07 am
Ruddy Duck Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 177

It will never stop now that the game in this country can no longer compete financially with the NRL or Rugby Union.
Post Thu May 28, 2020 12:21 pm
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Thu May 28, 2020 12:21 pm
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 614

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Gildart was set for going last year but his family persuaded him to stay for this year. Don't ask me how i know, i just know :D :D but he does want to test himself over there and with him being a low risk signing in terms of wages for the NRL in a time where they want to slash their wage bill i think he will be going. Problem with your thought process Nicky is the one i have just countered it with. NRL sides will now be looking for low risk wage players with big potential. I am pretty sure Smithies and Partington were being courted by Melbourne (Brian might be able to confirm) and the current climate might force their hand to go for these players. I just hope and pray that the days of SL being a feeder league for the NRL might be coming to an end if they have to bring their salary cap more in line with ours and we can keep our promising players for longer.

I don't know about Smithies and Partington but Havard has been coveted by Melbourne Storm for at least two years.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Sat May 30, 2020 10:37 am
Posted by Blueblood on Sat May 30, 2020 10:37 am
Blueblood Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 39

Rubbish that George Williams
Post Sat May 30, 2020 7:50 pm
Posted by 100% Warrior on Sat May 30, 2020 7:50 pm
100% Warrior Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 789

Rogues Gallery wrote:
I don't know about Smithies and Partington but Havard has been coveted by Melbourne Storm for at least two years.

I wouldn’t blame any of them for going to be honest. Why would you not? Best league in the world with huge financial rewards (provided it goes well)? The climate and way of life? Where do I sign?!

On a serious note though I’d be gutted to lose Smithies or Havard, Partington would be a big loss but I think we could get over it. The likes of Smithies and Havard have the potential to be able to have the pack built around them but ultimately you can’t blame the lads for wanting a pop at the NRL.
RIP Leon Walker

Stevo wrote:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895
Post Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1142

Havard looks pretty special to me. He’s very young but you can just see there’s something different about him. We’ve struggled really regards producing a top class prop for a very long time. We’ve had some decent ones like Sutton, Prescott, Mossop, Crosby etc but none have been able to get to that very top level. I look at this lad and I think I’d be surprised if he didn’t make it to the very top. He has size at a young age, he looks in great shape, he’s got great footwork and is difficult to handle. A little more aggression over time should come and of his attitude is right, he should go really far in the game.
Post Sun May 31, 2020 2:50 pm
Posted by Tricky Dicky on Sun May 31, 2020 2:50 pm
Tricky Dicky User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 136

NickyKiss wrote:
Havard looks pretty special to me. He’s very young but you can just see there’s something different about him. We’ve struggled really regards producing a top class prop for a very long time. We’ve had some decent ones like Sutton, Prescott, Mossop, Crosby etc but none have been able to get to that very top level. I look at this lad and I think I’d be surprised if he didn’t make it to the very top. He has size at a young age, he looks in great shape, he’s got great footwork and is difficult to handle. A little more aggression over time should come and of his attitude is right, he should go really far in the game.

The problem is it look like he is going to do a Sutton and walk away for nothing to an NRL club.

Hopefully he will be learning the lesson from Sutton who is currently sat out unable to make the match day 20 man squad at Canberra.
Post Sun May 31, 2020 4:14 pm
Posted by Anglesey Warrior on Sun May 31, 2020 4:14 pm
Anglesey Warrior Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 9

Thought Sutton was injured?
Post Sun May 31, 2020 8:59 pm
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Sun May 31, 2020 8:59 pm
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 614

[quote="Tricky Dicky"]The problem is it look like he is going to do a Sutton and walk away for nothing to an NRL club.

Hopefully he will be learning the lesson from Sutton who is currently sat out unable to make the match day 20 man squad at Canberra.[/quote]

Is he?
I'm not sure about that.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
PreviousNext