WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 pm
Posted by Wigg'n on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 197
Rep Position: 131st / 77,894

Quiz Score: 80

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am
Posts: 6405
Matty Smith to Wire :UMB: :LOL:
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 pm
Posted by warrior1872 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 pm
warrior1872 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 69
Rep Position: 233rd / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:14 pm
Posts: 312
Location: smelly warrington unfortunately
Wigg'n wrote:
Matty Smith to Wire :UMB: :LOL:

He's too young :lol:
Re: Widdop
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:41 pm
Posted by Mash Butty on Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:41 pm
Mash Butty User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 148
Rep Position: 164th / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:56 pm
Posts: 1323
Location: PIE IN THE SKY DISH
Rogues Gallery wrote:
Patrick Ah Van is allowed to play in the 1895 final for Widnes.

for a second there I was thinking how he is going to generate 1.21 gigawatts?
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:18 pm
Posted by TonyM19 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:18 pm
TonyM19 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 44
Rep Position: 258th / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Posts: 1183
Chris Green to Wakefield until the end of the season. Looks like we're happy with our front row right now.
Category 3
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 pm
Posted by cadoo on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 pm
cadoo User avatar
100% League Network Subsite
100% League Network Subsite

Reputation Points: 63
Rep Position: 239th / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:15 pm
Posts: 13820
Wigg'n wrote:
Matty Smith to Wire :UMB: :LOL:


I like Matty Smith. He had his limitations but he gave everything while at Wigan.

He knows how to lead a team around the park for big one off matches. Could be a shrewd bit of business.
Rugby Union: When entertainment just isn't your thing.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:02 pm
Posted by NickyKiss on Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:02 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 767
Rep Position: 14th / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 23326
Location: WIGAN
cadoo wrote:
I like Matty Smith. He had his limitations but he gave everything while at Wigan.

He knows how to lead a team around the park for big one off matches. Could be a shrewd bit of business.


With the right personnel around him he certainly does. When he was alongside Green and had Tomkins at fullback he was just the job but when those two left he really struggled. He’ll be better for Wire than Patton is when he plays with Ratchford and Austin.
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:59 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:59 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 488
Rep Position: 38th / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4649
NickyKiss wrote:
With the right personnel around him he certainly does. When he was alongside Green and had Tomkins at fullback he was just the job but when those two left he really struggled. He’ll be better for Wire than Patton is when he plays with Ratchford and Austin.


I think when's all said and done his career will reflect his ability. Played his part in a strong Wigan team winning some silverware which lead to an England call up. Been a good player, just not a world beater, but not many players are.

His lack of pace and ability to take on the line is my main criticism of Smith. Good kicking game, well organised, good passer, but never posed a real threat with ball in hand. Having that acceleration and movement can scare an opposition line, and in turn improve a players passing game as the defensive line moves out of position to close down space aware of a running threat, in turn this creates more space out wide allowing a half to put others through gaps.

At times I remember the opposition line giving Smith plenty of space edging closer to the outside backs knowing he wasn't going to take on the line, or that he'd be quickly caught if he went for the gap.

Overall Smith should be proud of his career, England call up, played in some big games and won some medals.

Plus, is there another player who can say they've played for Saints, Wigan, Widnes and Warrington?
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:44 am
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 440
Rep Position: 44th / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:07 pm
Posts: 31126
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 am
Posted by Cherry_&_White on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 am
Cherry_&_White User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 61
Rep Position: 241st / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:57 am
Posts: 205
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
I think when's all said and done his career will reflect his ability. Played his part in a strong Wigan team winning some silverware which lead to an England call up. Been a good player, just not a world beater, but not many players are.

His lack of pace and ability to take on the line is my main criticism of Smith. Good kicking game, well organised, good passer, but never posed a real threat with ball in hand. Having that acceleration and movement can scare an opposition line, and in turn improve a players passing game as the defensive line moves out of position to close down space aware of a running threat, in turn this creates more space out wide allowing a half to put others through gaps.

At times I remember the opposition line giving Smith plenty of space edging closer to the outside backs knowing he wasn't going to take on the line, or that he'd be quickly caught if he went for the gap.

Overall Smith should be proud of his career, England call up, played in some big games and won some medals.

Plus, is there another player who can say they've played for Saints, Wigan, Widnes and Warrington?


Totally agree with this, important cog in one of the best sides we've had in the SL era. Worth mentioning as well that both him & Green were expected to be a massive downgrade on Finch & Tommy. Not easy circumstances to come in to.

I know it didn't work out for him at Saints second time round, but I can't believe that he's not found regular rugby elsewhere when there are far worse players getting regular game time. How much use would he have been to Leeds over the last couple of years?
Re: Rumours and signings v9
Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am
Posted by Last Son of Wigan on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am
Last Son of Wigan Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 488
Rep Position: 38th / 77,894

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 4649
Cherry_&_White wrote:
Totally agree with this, important cog in one of the best sides we've had in the SL era. Worth mentioning as well that both him & Green were expected to be a massive downgrade on Finch & Tommy. Not easy circumstances to come in to.

I know it didn't work out for him at Saints second time round, but I can't believe that he's not found regular rugby elsewhere when there are far worse players getting regular game time. How much use would he have been to Leeds over the last couple of years?


He's just gone to clubs where he's been considered weaker than others who play in his position, and in my opinion, that's justified. Langi and Gigot look much better. Smith didn't look up to it when he played.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 136 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Wigan Warriors - wiganrugbyfans.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,979,4341,32277,8944,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 7th Feb 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Thu 13th Feb 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
TORONTO
Sun 23rd Feb 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL FC
Sun 1st Mar 15:00
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 8th Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Fri 13th Mar 19:45
SL
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 22nd Mar 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Fri 27th Mar 19:45
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 10th Apr 14:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 17th Apr 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sat 25th Apr 18:30
SL
TORONTO
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Sun 3rd May 15:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 15th May 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
HULL KR
Sun 24th May 14:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 29th May 19:45
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





28