WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Mossop
Re: Mossop Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:34 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 14327
I want to live in this world where we can cherry pick the coach and captain of the team who made the last two finals on offer, then add in Johnstone and Davies as reserve wingers whilst we're at it. Do people not think 'What is his situation at his current club? Are we likely to be a more attractive proposition that that?'.

Mossop is captain at a club making finals, with a contract for the next two years, taking him to 34 at the start of the following season. Why is he going to leave that? Not money, we have no marquee spots available and they can likely give a higher portion of their cap space to him than we can. Not glory, they're having more of that than us. Neither is his hometown. We're just that arrogant we think that we can sign whoever we want.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 am  

User avatarfleabag wrote:
fleabag User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 am
Posts: 967
Location: Rochdale
[quote="Grimmy". We're just that arrogant we think that we can sign whoever we want.[/quote]

Your just a berk lad !

We are Wigan. We have been the best for well over 100 years. All around the world , even though the UK hasn't won a series for many a year .....................they all respect Wigan.
Formerly known as Moonlight Flit
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:33 am  

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:40 am
Posts: 862
Smalls wrote:
Possibly cheaper reliable and better than Flower & Clubb


Flower & Clubb have been good signings for the club and do not deserve the adverse comments they are getting from some supporters.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:28 am  

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Ruddy Duck Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:40 am
Posts: 862
fleabag wrote:
Your just a berk lad !

We are Wigan. We have been the best for well over 100 years. All around the world , even though the UK hasn't won a series for many a year .....................they all respect Wigan.


Not as much as some supporters seem to think judging by the fact no games during the lockdown situation have been played at the DW Stadium and also no games are to be held at Wigan in next years World Cup Competition.

Never been the same at Wigan since the days of Central Park when we staged all kinds of special games like Challenge Cup Semi Finals, Internationals, World Cup games even School finals and Ken Gee Cup Final etc in addition to our own league and Cup games.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:33 am  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2061
Location: Watching Rugby League
Grimmy wrote:
I want to live in this world where we can cherry pick the coach and captain of the team who made the last two finals on offer, then add in Johnstone and Davies as reserve wingers whilst we're at it. Do people not think 'What is his situation at his current club? Are we likely to be a more attractive proposition that that?'.

Mossop is captain at a club making finals, with a contract for the next two years, taking him to 34 at the start of the following season. Why is he going to leave that? Not money, we have no marquee spots available and they can likely give a higher portion of their cap space to him than we can. Not glory, they're having more of that than us. Neither is his hometown. We're just that arrogant we think that we can sign whoever we want.


And those same people will be the first to moan should we breach the cap
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:45 am  

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Pie_Eyter Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:44 pm
Posts: 337
Grimmy wrote:
I want to live in this world where we can cherry pick the coach and captain of the team who made the last two finals on offer, then add in Johnstone and Davies as reserve wingers whilst we're at it. Do people not think 'What is his situation at his current club? Are we likely to be a more attractive proposition that that?'.

Mossop is captain at a club making finals, with a contract for the next two years, taking him to 34 at the start of the following season. Why is he going to leave that? Not money, we have no marquee spots available and they can likely give a higher portion of their cap space to him than we can. Not glory, they're having more of that than us. Neither is his hometown. We're just that arrogant we think that we can sign whoever we want.



Interesting observation. I mentioned Johnstone the other day. I didn't say anything about him being a reserve winger though so thanks for putting words in my mouth. So we..... Wigan RL can't attract the coach of Salford to our club.

Towel thrown in then. It's over if thats the case.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:58 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 14327
fleabag wrote:
Your just a berk lad !

We are Wigan. We have been the best for well over 100 years. All around the world , even though the UK hasn't won a series for many a year .....................they all respect Wigan.

We haven't been the best for the last two years never mind 100 years. We have a great history but that doesn't give us any more cap space or make it any easier to win the next trophy. I seriously doubt players are bothered about that at all when they're choosing who to sign for. Players want game time, money, contract security, finals/trophies and in many cases a stepping stone to the NRL. People keep suggesting we bring in contracted players when we're offering them a worse situation than what they currently have, and just assume because like you say "We are Wigan." That's not how it works.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:04 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 14327
Pie_Eyter wrote:
Interesting observation. I mentioned Johnstone the other day. I didn't say anything about him being a reserve winger though so thanks for putting words in my mouth. So we..... Wigan RL can't attract the coach of Salford to our club.

Towel thrown in then. It's over if thats the case.

Johnstone may not be reserve winger if he did sign but he would be coming into a salary capped club where there are two wingers getting paid as first teamers, so you either pay him a reserve winger salary or you pay for three first team wingers and end up weak in another position.

Watson - it's not as obvious that won't happen as it is with Johnstone, which was a daft suggestion frankly. I don't think Watson would sign because he's making finals with his hometown club, under little pressure. However, we have no cap restraints on coaches so in theory maybe we could attract him financially. Personally I don't think he would come. It's so arrogant to just take it as read that he will come if we want him though like you and others seem to be.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:12 am  

Levrier wrote:
Levrier Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am
Posts: 1256
In an ideal world we would always seek to improve our squad when we lose players or move them on. Unfortunately in a salary capped world that is not always possible. We obviously have a few old heads who should possibly be looking to finish their careers or to step down a grade whilst having a big cohort of youngsters. Sadly a fair number of those who should be the mainstay of the team are simply not as good as those who have left. This will take a couple of seasons to sort as our babies mature. We do not really need to chase ex-players who left in unhappy circumstances or we will end up with the same situation where our good youngsters get pushed out and go on to do well elsewhere. Personally I am worried that we end up with Bibby and Hankinson in the centres and Clubb and Flower starting and our youngsters playing elsewhere..
Re: Mossop Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:29 am  

Pie_Eyter wrote:
Pie_Eyter Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:44 pm
Posts: 337
Grimmy wrote:
Johnstone may not be reserve winger if he did sign but he would be coming into a salary capped club where there are two wingers getting paid as first teamers, so you either pay him a reserve winger salary or you pay for three first team wingers and end up weak in another position.

Watson - it's not as obvious that won't happen as it is with Johnstone, which was a daft suggestion frankly. I don't think Watson would sign because he's making finals with his hometown club, under little pressure. However, we have no cap restraints on coaches so in theory maybe we could attract him financially. Personally I don't think he would come. It's so arrogant to just take it as read that he will come if we want him though like you and others seem to be.



Why was Johnstone a daft suggestion? im baffled by you. We need 3 wingers at this club. Marshall is out for a year, Manfredi has injury problems and looks to be on the wane a little and we have no cover. Is it really arrogant to suggest that we could poach Salford's coach. Maybe it is but there are only a few clubs capable. Its the nature of life. Salford sign players from clubs lower than them, we sign players from the likes of Salford. It's just how it is and has always been. If you can't see that then where have you been?
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 100% Warrior, apollosghost, Bing [Bot], Blueblood, Cherry toffee, Chesterrhino, Dai Jones, dany1979, Darwen Warrior, hatty, jaws1, King bill King Bill, Lazy J, LewCharnock, MadDogg, MOUSE13, NickyKiss, NSW, Phuzzy, Pieman, RedWarrior32, Rogues Gallery, S_Riley, sergeant pepper, The Ghost of '99, The Yellow Giraffe, verbatim, Wigg'n and 167 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,102,1651,44278,3514,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X