WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Toronto withdrawing from SL

Board index Championship London Broncos Toronto withdrawing from SL

Toronto withdrawing from SL Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:28 pm  

wantawin wrote:
wantawin Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:28 am
Posts: 246
Surprised not to see any comments yet about Toronto withdrawing from SL.
Re: Toronto withdrawing from SL Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:09 pm  

Honkytonk wrote:
Honkytonk Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:37 pm
Posts: 657
Fev trying to jump into their grave. Hope they get told to do one
Re: Toronto withdrawing from SL Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:13 pm  

User avatarPC Plum wrote:
PC Plum User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:46 pm
Posts: 1289
Location: Balamoray
wantawin wrote:
Surprised not to see any comments yet about Toronto withdrawing from SL.


Inevitable given these unprecedented times. If only the were a pub team in Lancashire or Yorkshire.
Re: Toronto withdrawing from SL Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:16 pm  

User avatarPC Plum wrote:
PC Plum User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:46 pm
Posts: 1289
Location: Balamoray
Honkytonk wrote:
Fev trying to jump into their grave. Hope they get told to do one


Inevitable. Empty boxes make the most noise. If they did away with dual reg and they ran an academy I'd back them all the way.
Re: Toronto withdrawing from SL Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:56 pm  

northernbloke Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:05 pm
Posts: 2148
Maybe as it was london who went down when toronto went up london should be re instated as a SL team
Re: Toronto withdrawing from SL Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:10 pm  

User avatarPC Plum wrote:
PC Plum User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:46 pm
Posts: 1289
Location: Balamoray
northernbloke wrote:
Maybe as it was london who went down when toronto went up london should be re instated as a SL team


Or maybe retain Toronto in SL and promote London and Toulouse cos they have at least 3 ‘o’ in their name, pull up the drawbridge and eff off the pub teams ?
Re: Toronto withdrawing from SL Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:02 pm  

northernbloke Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:05 pm
Posts: 2148
How can you retain a team in a competition that they are no longer competing in?
If and when any decision is made on championship teams resuming play some sense may come out of it, but torontos place in 21 season must be questioned.
Are the RFL possibly looking at a team to step up and fulfil the 2020 hole in the fixture list?
So much for Sonny Bill being the future and saviour of Rugby League in the n hemis
Re: Toronto withdrawing from SL Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:33 am  

nadera78 wrote:
nadera78 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:48 pm
Posts: 884
A transatlantic team in SL was always going to be a long shot, the pandemic made it near enough impossible.

But beyond that I will say this, the behaviour of the SL teams was disgraceful. They stole £2million from TWP (their share of the TV revenue which the other 11 clubs divided up themselves) and told them they could sell the North American rights instead - only to then find that SKY owned them and wanted TWP to buy them back at an unworkable price. At the same time the clubs asked TWP to pay for their flights, accommodation, etc in Toronto. They just saw them as an easy way to make a few quid without doing any work.

This overall attitude impacts us too because, once again, I'm left with the feeling that the northern clubs (and lots of fans and administrators) just do not want anyone else playing their sport. We're tolerated, at a push.
Re: Toronto withdrawing from SL Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:58 am  

northernbloke Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:05 pm
Posts: 2148
That was not my understanding of the central funding issue! Toronto were not refused central funding they elected not to take it! So nothing was stolen.
As for TV deal and rights, pretty sure catalans deal to tekevise hime games did not involve a sky buy back, the french managed a tv deal so why couldnt the canadians?
My view is toronto thought they could get a better TV deal and generate there own income from that! Problem being like catalans that would have been to televise home games in Canada!! Big problem with that! Even with a normal season schedule they were not going to have many home games.
Maybe its time to recognise that it is a regional sport! Its the same in France, look where RL is played, thats why catalans keep going where PSG failed.
London will always struggle
Re: Toronto withdrawing from SL Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:42 pm  

User avatarwire-quin wrote:
wire-quin User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:38 pm
Posts: 6559
Location: Looking for a coach that can coach
northernbloke wrote:
That was not my understanding of the central funding issue! Toronto were not refused central funding they elected not to take it! So nothing was stolen.
As for TV deal and rights, pretty sure catalans deal to tekevise hime games did not involve a sky buy back, the french managed a tv deal so why couldnt the canadians?
My view is toronto thought they could get a better TV deal and generate there own income from that! Problem being like catalans that would have been to televise home games in Canada!! Big problem with that! Even with a normal season schedule they were not going to have many home games.
Maybe its time to recognise that it is a regional sport! Its the same in France, look where RL is played, thats why catalans keep going where PSG failed.
London will always struggle


London hasn’t always struggled!

Let’s not forget Ottawa and NY are next in line to join !
Mac out!
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to London Broncos


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,085,9821,15278,2924,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!



X