WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 2020 Squad

Board index Championship London Broncos 2020 Squad

Re: 2020 Squad Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:40 pm  

User avatarJossy B wrote:
Jossy B User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Posts: 2359
Location: North London
PC Plum wrote:
Probably like me, the journalist has never heard of this bloke, let alone where he plays. I presume we let him go for a reason so this could be another Lovell type individual. When are we going to start signing statement players, ie players that will get us back to SL ? At the moment it is truly underwhelming!


Still no excuse.

In terms of the signings I disagree.
Aston, Egodo, Curran & Walters are all good acquisitions in my opinion who have a good mix of experience in the SL and Championship.
The 2 lads from Widnes are young and have potential.

Having said that, I still feel we are light in terms of squad depth and need 3 or 4 more signings at least.
Re: 2020 Squad Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:10 pm  

Deadcowboys1 wrote:
Deadcowboys1 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:10 pm
Posts: 179
PC Plum wrote:
Probably like me, the journalist has never heard of this bloke, let alone where he plays. I presume we let him go for a reason so this could be another Lovell type individual. When are we going to start signing statement players, ie players that will get us back to SL ? At the moment it is truly underwhelming!



I'm with you Plummy, every time i read "new signing announced tomorrow" I hope for some sort of marquee signing. :( Maybe Big Dave will buy a tent from Milletts.
Re: 2020 Squad Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:23 am  

nadera78 wrote:
nadera78 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:48 pm
Posts: 884
PC Plum wrote:
Probably like me, the journalist has never heard of this bloke, let alone where he plays. I presume we let him go for a reason so this could be another Lovell type individual. When are we going to start signing statement players, ie players that will get us back to SL ? At the moment it is truly underwhelming!


I disagree with this. Clubs are built on players who are steady, unspectacular and, most importantly, offer good value for money. They're the ones who keep the team ticking over year after year. Then you add to it with a sprinkling of more talented players, who obviously cost more money. An obvious example of this is that Leeds Rhinos did it for a decade of success. Will Lovell is a good Championship player who gets through a lot of work and does a job for the team every week - almost certainly at a price the club can afford.

This Williams, by the sounds of him, left the club because he was 19 and not ready to play at this level, it happens every year, at every club, in every sport. He's since spent 3 years at Skolars, developing his game, and is now deemed ready to step up. That's the kind of signing that successful clubs make. And it's exactly how Danny Ward has operated over the past couple of years.

As for statement players, who exactly do you have in mind? Someone willing to play in the Championship and move away from home...?
Re: 2020 Squad Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 am  

Honkytonk wrote:
Honkytonk Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:37 pm
Posts: 658
Im 50/50 re our signings so far. We have lost a great deal of quality, we have brought in a few decent players. There is the fact that we are in a weaker league than last season. I think we could do with a couple of older heads/experience though.

Any chance the OP can be updated with the moves??? Give us a view of where we are???
Re: 2020 Squad Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:23 am  

Bostwick wrote:
Bostwick Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:55 pm
Posts: 2097
There has to be more recruitment to be done. I know Danny Ward is away at the moment but I doubt that that has any baring on this matter. You never know he might pick up some gems on his travels.
Most likely David Hughes is waiting to pick up players who are without a club and running short of options, especially as most SL clubs are running out of salary cap space. I hope so.
Re: 2020 Squad Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:09 am  

User avatarPC Plum wrote:
PC Plum User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:46 pm
Posts: 1289
Location: Balamoray
nadera78 wrote:
As for statement players, who exactly do you have in mind? Someone willing to play in the Championship and move away from home...?


I understand your point.

The starting point would be us knowing who is signed up for next year!

Lets assume Cunno and Richards are staying.

I can only hypothesise as I have no clue on availability, but given their current playing status / on the pecking order, the impact of reserve grade, I would be looking at Sammut, Keinhorst, Bienek, plus cant help feeling one or two from Salford will become available. I would be all out for getting Morgan back and retaining Fleming.
Re: 2020 Squad Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:02 am  

User avatarJossy B wrote:
Jossy B User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Posts: 2359
Location: North London
Deadcowboys1 wrote:
I'm with you Plummy, every time i read "new signing announced tomorrow" I hope for some sort of marquee signing. :( Maybe Big Dave will buy a tent from Milletts.


If we didn't make a marquee signing in Super League, what makes you think they'll be one now? :THINK:
Re: 2020 Squad Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:32 pm  

Deadcowboys1 wrote:
Deadcowboys1 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:10 pm
Posts: 179
Jossy B wrote:
If we didn't make a marquee signing in Super League, what makes you think they'll be one now? :THINK:


My neighbour has a big marquee & a little marquee in his back yard. I wouldnt expect a Sonny Boy signing but would like someone who would get you out of your seat. Whether it is someone huge like Dave King or tackle machine like Craig Taylor.

With regard to last year, have we lost more money by being relegated than we might have had to invest in a top player or 2, given the leveling down in quality of the bottom third of Super League?
Re: 2020 Squad Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:37 pm  

User avatarjaybs wrote:
jaybs User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:47 pm
Posts: 4401
Location: North West
Sad losing another talented youngster in Kai today to Wigan, which has been on the cards for a while! i wonder if we got any fee, is it not time that Any Super League Club player that sign a player from The Championship, be they out of contract or not should have to pay a set reasonable fee to truly compensate for the development of that player? How many youngsters must Wigan produce?
Re: 2020 Squad Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 pm  

nadera78 wrote:
nadera78 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:48 pm
Posts: 884
PC Plum wrote:
I understand your point.

The starting point would be us knowing who is signed up for next year!

Lets assume Cunno and Richards are staying.

I can only hypothesise as I have no clue on availability, but given their current playing status / on the pecking order, the impact of reserve grade, I would be looking at Sammut, Keinhorst, Bienek, plus cant help feeling one or two from Salford will become available. I would be all out for getting Morgan back and retaining Fleming.


Now that's something that's bugged me for years, the club just doesn't communicate well at all. Right now we don't know about the squad, during the season we never know about injuries - players just disappear without a word until we spot them on crutches or whatever. It's no way to run a club.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Phantom Horseman and 20 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to London Broncos


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,087,2521,20478,2964,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!



X