FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

   WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Pre-Match Pubs
Pre-Match Pubs : Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:54 pm  
Hey everyone. My father and I are coming over from the U.S. for a Chelsea match and decided to catch a rugby match as well. We purchased tickets for the Wigan match March 9th. I was wondering if there are certain pubs to hangout at prior to the match? So far I have The Phoenix, The Wandle, and Corner Pin on my list of possible places to grab beers before the match. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Re: Pre-Match Pubs : Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:13 pm  
bcarman07 wrote:
Hey everyone. My father and I are coming over from the U.S. for a Chelsea match and decided to catch a rugby match as well. We purchased tickets for the Wigan match March 9th. I was wondering if there are certain pubs to hangout at prior to the match? So far I have The Phoenix, The Wandle, and Corner Pin on my list of possible places to grab beers before the match. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hi mate Smithers will be you man for this as he is local whilst most of us come from miles away. I come to the ground via Tooting Broadway which is knee deep in pubs. From the other direction, Wimbledon I suspect the same is true but of a better standard. A plus to the Plough Lane ground is it has its own pub called by the horns within the ground selling a range of craft beers etc check their website out by the horns.co.uk to get an idea.
All the best.
Re: Pre-Match Pubs : Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:52 pm  
Oh, I see I got a mention to help.

By The Horns inside the ground on match days has a good atmosphere and has some nice craft beers.

At the North End of the stadium (100m walk) is the Corner Pin and popular with AFC Wimbledon fans.

Leather Bottle on walk from Earlsfield Station is a nice pub, lovely outside garden. About half a mile from the North End. However, closed for refurbishment until 21st March.

Further afield in Wimbledon town centre I'd recommend the The Alexandra. Mick the landlord is great and does a lot for the local community. A very popular pub. Mile and a half from the stadium.

I'm not great on the Tooting area. In the other direction and further out, the pubs in Wimbledon Village or on Wimbledon Common are good, but only if you have the time.
Re: Pre-Match Pubs : Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:42 pm  
From Tooting end, The Castle in Tooting High Street is ok. Used to be a great sports pub with sticky floors & spongy carpets but has been tarted up over the last few years. Food is ok & a few different beers. Bit pricy perhaps. If walking the other way along Tooting High Street towards Blackshaw Rd & the ground then both the Trafalgar Arms & The Manor are sports pubs. You also have any number of places in Tooting Market selling food & drink if you don't mind shoppers wandering by. Graveney & Meadow in Mitcham Rd more of a café bar but food can be good.

Pub to avoid is Wetherspoons JJ Moons, left out of Tooting Broadway station & opposite Sainsburys. Full of dodgy characters & pub most likely to have a fight in or outside it. There was a time when a lot of Tooting pubs were quite edgy, how times change.

Too many good Indian eateries to list, but they are everywhere.
Re: Pre-Match Pubs : Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:30 pm  
Thanks for the information guys. Looking forward to the match!
Re: Pre-Match Pubs : Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:28 pm  
What are the options like coming from Haydon's Road? Or are we better off getting the Northern down to Tooting Broadway instead, coming from St Pancras so both are easy options.
Re: Pre-Match Pubs : Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:53 pm  
CM Punk wrote:
What are the options like coming from Haydon's Road? Or are we better off getting the Northern down to Tooting Broadway instead, coming from St Pancras so both are easy options.

Again Smithers will be your best bet as an officionado of local boozers but as I understand it going to Tooting Broadway you’re dropped into basically Tooting’s high street with various standard options including a pretty snide Wetherspoons. It’s about a 20 minute walk from the ground. Hayden’s road on the other hand, on the one time I went that way to see what was going and to see if I could work outwhere wimbledon town centre was ( I couldn’t) was basically in the middle of nowhere but is only about 5 minutes from the ground. Frankly drinking in central London then to Tooting Broadway, a quick ‘half’ at the spoons and then hit the By the horns bar in the ground may be the way to go.
Re: Pre-Match Pubs : Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:36 pm  
CM Punk wrote:
What are the options like coming from Haydon's Road? Or are we better off getting the Northern down to Tooting Broadway instead, coming from St Pancras so both are easy options.


Be warned CM Punk. I believe that there are no trains to Haydons Road on Saturday.
Re: Pre-Match Pubs : Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:01 am  
BigTime wrote:
Again Smithers will be your best bet as an officionado of local boozers but as I understand it going to Tooting Broadway you’re dropped into basically Tooting’s high street with various standard options including a pretty snide Wetherspoons. It’s about a 20 minute walk from the ground. Hayden’s road on the other hand, on the one time I went that way to see what was going and to see if I could work outwhere wimbledon town centre was ( I couldn’t) was basically in the middle of nowhere but is only about 5 minutes from the ground. Frankly drinking in central London then to Tooting Broadway, a quick ‘half’ at the spoons and then hit the By the horns bar in the ground may be the way to go.


Just for the record BT, and I know you want to know, when you leave Haydons Road station you turn left & cross Haydons Road taking first right onto Queens Road. It's about a 15 min walk to the other end where you hit Wimbledon Broadway just next to Wimbledon Quarter. I'm waiting for Merton Council & their partners in crime, to reveal what they have done with the other three quarters because that might make a whole lot of difference. :D
Re: Pre-Match Pubs : Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:22 am  
Victor wrote:
Be warned CM Punk. I believe that there are no trains to Haydons Road on Saturday.


Cheers for the heads up, didn't think to check for Engineering. Looks like it'll be the Northern for us. Thanks for the advice folks, hope for a good game on Saturday.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 98 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to London Broncos