RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Squad Numbers
Re: Squad Numbers : Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:42 pm  
Boss Hog wrote:
We don`t seem to grasp that the youngsters actually want to win games, and always try their best.

It is just a job, to Drinkwater Dudson etc, most of the time last season, they couldn`t give a monkeys whether we lose.

Steady on. Know lots of old farts who have run their blood to water & several young 'uns who have so much to learn & have no influence on a game. It is not quite as clear cut as it seems. Picking out the good youngsters is the key ... not just picking youngsters.
Re: Squad Numbers : Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:44 pm  
Well Mr Burgess is a big fan of Crowther so you can see that out and out effort is going to be rewarded.
Re: Squad Numbers : Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:28 pm  
“Well Mr Burgess is a big fan of Crowther so you can see that out and out effort is going to be rewarded.”

And that’s why he was so keen to sign Powell apparently.
Re: Squad Numbers : Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:57 pm  
I don’t like squad numbers as it displays seniority with the first 13, giving them a sense untouchability, like Drinkwater 7.
I can see with the post on here that you think that too.

Go back to earn the shirt, or if squad numbers are mandatory, then award alphabetically.
Re: Squad Numbers : Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:43 pm  
rubber duckie wrote:
I don’t like squad numbers as it displays seniority with the first 13, giving them a sense untouchability, like Drinkwater 7.

Go back to earn the shirt, or if squad numbers are mandatory, then award alphabetically.

Change my name to Josh Aardvark then
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:57 am  
rubber duckie wrote:

Or it’s a target on your back for up and coming players to aim for. The problem for young players is often that they don’t get a natural run of games so when they get an opportunity they have to really seize it.
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:38 am  
Yes it's not easy to force yourself in when you haven't trained so much in that position & and the standard of defences is so different at Super League level than at Academy
or Reserve level.
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:40 am  
The NRL never used to use squad numbers (not sure if thats still the case)
I remember watching games and the 1-17 was accurate to whoever was picked in those position. If Brad Fittler was playing 13 that day he wore 13 not 6. I like to know what positions theyre playing based on the number. However i understand having squad numbers is money driven and is extra revenue for the club.
As for the drinkwater example. i believe no player should be untouchable and a younger player should want to aim for the no 7 shirt regardless of whether another player has their name on the back.
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:43 am  
Been a bit of talk of Hayes not being big enough. Not sure about this as Saints did there very best to trample all over him when they battered us for a full 40 minutes and I thought he stood up superbly in defence - won't get many bigger tests than that.
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:24 am  
NRL still don't use squad numbers.
PreviousNext