RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Squad Numbers
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:26 pm  
rubber duckie wrote:
I don’t like squad numbers as it displays seniority with the first 13, giving them a sense untouchability, like Drinkwater 7.
I can see with the post on here that you think that too.

Go back to earn the shirt, or if squad numbers are mandatory, then award alphabetically.

can you imagine the poop itching on here by the usual suspects if we did that.

jesus, i'd hand me cards in.
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:38 pm  
Australia did it in the world cup based on number of caps, didn't they, with the captain as 1.

So, Ratch can get his number 1 shirt back lol.

Who is our longest serving player after that? Currie?
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:50 pm  
Just go back to the days of match day 1 to 13, with subs of 14 to 17.
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:11 pm  
The problem previously was not squad numbers, it was the inability (or reluctance) to drop the 'big' players out of the side on form I am hoping this will not be the case with SB. i.e) if Drinkwater plays in 2024 as he did in 2023 then the '7' shirt won't protect him. Just like the '6' shirt did not protect Cade Cust for Wigan.
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:28 pm  
Some players have the number written into their contact before they sign, so the club honours it wether they perform or not I’m afraid.
Re: Squad Numbers : Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:37 pm  
Big lads mate wrote:
Some players have the number written into their contact before they sign, so the club honours it wether they perform or not I’m afraid.

I am sure the club would say that idea is nonsense.
Re: Squad Numbers : Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:03 pm  
Smiffy27 wrote:
I am sure the club would say that idea is nonsense.

Not Saying Warrington do, but some SL clubs do , especially regarding big money / marquee signings.
Previous