RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Recruitment rumours and links
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:18 am  
ratticusfinch wrote:
I think if they lose Smith it will be a big blow to them, keep him and yes I can see them dominating for a season or two.

They made a big mistake signing Thompson on a long deal & on a salary that means he will have to be a Marquee Player.

Either Field or French need to leave to allow Smith to be retained on a Marquee basis.

I mentioned Jack Farrimond an emerging halfback on a previous post. He should develop into very good player.
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:49 am  
Boss Hog wrote:
They made a big mistake signing Thompson on a long deal & on a salary that means he will have to be a Marquee Player.

Either Field or French need to leave to allow Smith to be retained on a Marquee basis.

I mentioned Jack Farrimond an emerging halfback on a previous post. He should develop into very good player.

Wigan could have all 4 on marquee money but only claim the most financially advantageous 3 against the cap.

Plenty of people seem to know the ins and outs of what French, Field and Thompson are on and what Smith will be demanding it seems which is interesting.

I wasn’t aware it was all public knowledge.
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:15 pm  
jonh wrote:
Wigan could have all 4 on marquee money but only claim the most financially advantageous 3 against the cap.

Plenty of people seem to know the ins and outs of what French, Field and Thompson are on and what Smith will be demanding it seems which is interesting.

I wasn’t aware it was all public knowledge.

Now you’re ‘cashed up’ get used to it, we’ve been getting it from Wigan / Saints / any fans for years.
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:22 pm  
Yeah we're usually questioned by fans of clubs that have been proven to have breached the salary cap - some of them on 3 separate occasions.
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:11 pm  
4 year deal signed……..
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:20 pm  
jonh wrote:
4 year deal signed……..

off to Aus in 2 then.
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:46 pm  
Alffi_7 wrote:
Now you’re ‘cashed up’ get used to it, we’ve been getting it from Wigan / Saints / any fans for years.

No you are getting confused. Fans of other clubs were questioning how Warrington could spend so much money yet be so terrible.
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:31 am  
Captain Hook wrote:
I’d like to see that quote RD because it has the whiff of bull dung about it. It would mean he was on less money and missed a testimonial (which used to be tax free, not sure currently). Did he say how long a contract we were offering?

I cannot answer for the dental condition of Mike Rush’s mouth, perhaps a breeze fortunately took any odour the other way, that evening at MCFC watching Coldplay at the time it was said.

And ‘yes’, we all know he absolutely turned down a testimonial, which I reckon would have been the most lucrative in Wire history.
That to me sends waves of proof it wasn’t about money.
Saints offering him a salary that would beat the combined total of the testimonial and a Wire contract, I think you are on another planet with that idea.
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:26 am  
rubber duckie wrote:
I cannot answer for the dental condition of Mike Rush’s mouth, perhaps a breeze fortunately took any odour the other way, that evening at MCFC watching Coldplay at the time it was said.

And ‘yes’, we all know he absolutely turned down a testimonial, which I reckon would have been the most lucrative in Wire history.
That to me sends waves of proof it wasn’t about money.
Saints offering him a salary that would beat the combined total of the testimonial and a Wire contract, I think you are on another planet with that idea.

So no official quote then?
My query however was it as suggested a 3 year deal by Saints v 2 from Wire? Even then I can’t see us having offered him silly money.
Re: Recruitment rumours and links : Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:23 am  
The signing of Clark by Saints was announced before the departure of Powell, presumably Clark's decision to leave was made well before Powell's departure was set in stone. I can only imagine what the mood in camp was back then, maybe the player had just 'had enough'?
PreviousNext