FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tonight’s match v Leeds
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:00 am  
christopher wrote:
In the second half - Mulhern, Williams, Dean and Dufty stood out

Your two you forwards didn’t look out of place either.

There was too much running sideways I thought though, and we aren’t a defense that jumps out sonit wasn’t effective

Matautia was the worse culprit, he’s not good enough for you guys I don’t think

Is Ashton injured he looks to have lost some pace


Ashton picked up a quad injury he will be asessed and Currie but if a knee injury.
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:22 am  
christopher wrote:
Powell has a lot of work to do, personally im not sure he’s up to it.

He isn't. He's basically relying on a huge pack to make up for his lack of coaching ability and I doubt it'll work. Hull haven't done much in the past few years with their so called monster pack and Salford have proved this season that having great props isn't the be all and end all.
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:26 am  
Gazwire wrote:
I'm not ignoring the first half at all; I'm pleased with the second half because it was a positive reaction to the first half. I'm not saying we played champagne rugby or are anywhere near where we want to be, but the second half performance, in not folding and giving up, has shown that the attitude is changing. Most complaints on here, of which there were many, were in relation to the attitude shown. It might be hard to stomach for some, but we got stuck in and outscored Leeds 12-0 away in that second half. It sounds like Leeds weren't at their best for that period, but credit where credit's due.

It would be interesting to hear some more opinions, but it looks like everybody's gone to bed at 21.45.



Things aren't changing based on a 40 minute period. Just like they didn't change after the Catalan game. Stop going round Peacocking because we scored 2 tries in a second half spent on their line lol.
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:24 am  
WireWireWire wrote:
Things aren't changing based on a 40 minute period. Just like they didn't change after the Catalan game. Stop going round Peacocking because we scored 2 tries in a second half spent on their line lol.


That was the first time this season after the earlier matches, as far as i can recall, that we have fought back in a sustained way against descent opposition. As I've said, it sounds like Leeds were poor second half so that helped. A reason for a little optimism would you say, or does it spoil your week because you're going to have to find something different to moan about?

It's not peacocking. I'm trying to bring a bit of positivity and highlight that the biggest gripe on here - lack of effort and throwing the towel in - could be changing, because, as I've said, we haven't seen that type of response this season in the second half.

With inflation, the Ukraine war and the repercussions of Brexit, you've got plenty to moan about, so don't worry lol.
Last edited by Gazwire on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:28 am  
Moe syslak wrote:
He isn't. He's basically relying on a huge pack to make up for his lack of coaching ability and I doubt it'll work. Hull haven't done much in the past few years with their so called monster pack and Salford have proved this season that having great props isn't the be all and end all.


If you look at previous sides he's coached, he does promote attractive attacking rugby. He just needs all the new players to bed in and assimilate, then hopefully we'll get to see some descent moves, though admittedly, we haven't seen that much yet and it sounds like we still have a way to go.
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:39 am  
christopher wrote:
Where I would be worried as a Wire fan is you guys haven’t seemed to have got any better at any point in the season.

Take us and what’s happened since Rohan Smith has come in, were a totally different side, with the same squad, and its is 100% down to the coach, he’s totally turned us around, were the form team in SL at the moment, if you have a poor start to next season you need to get shut of Powell


My take on this/hoping is that we're struggling because of the huge turn around in playing staff at the same time as the integration of young players. I've been impressed with Smith at Leeds, he seems to have made big improvements, but he hasn't had to contend with all the changes that Powell has.

I'm obviously backing Powell, but I get why many others aren't. Imo, whichever coach you bring in, given all the changes, they need to be given a reasonable amount of time to prove themselves. Sacking a coach part way through a season where there have been constant changes isn't prudent.

There are many examples of coaches in different sports whereby poor form may have resulted in early departures. Huddersfield were poor last year and they kept faith. Fergie at Utd was close to the door many times and we know the outcome by of sticking by him. Arteta at Arsenal was getting dogs abuse last season but now he's looking like a good appointment. Powell has a track record of improving teams and players, playing attractive rugby; he needs to be given a reasonable amount of time, given the circumstances, like other coaches have.
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:29 am  
christopher wrote:
Where I would be worried as a Wire fan is you guys haven’t seemed to have got any better at any point in the season.

Take us and what’s happened since Rohan Smith has come in, were a totally different side, with the same squad, and its is 100% down to the coach, he’s totally turned us around, were the form team in SL at the moment, if you have a poor start to next season you need to get shut of Powell


I think Powell must have given our players the hair dryer treatment at halftime, as there was a major improvement in the 2nd half, especially in defence.

Prior to the game I thought we would get mullered by Leeds with 2 debutant forwards on the bench, and for the 1st 20 minutes, that was how the game went. We conceded some soft tries, which wouldn`t have been scored with a better defensive effort.

Pleasantly surprised with how well Luke Thomas played at prop, and Adam Holroyd did OK too.

The final Leeds try in the dying seconds of the 1st half gave Leeds a lead that they were able to just about hold on to.

Still a lot of work in defence and attack.

If Powell persists in playing Riley Dean, he needs to use the kid more. He has a much better long kicking game than Williams, but Williams was still doing the majority of our kicks last night. Dean`s distribution skills should be utilised more too in future games. However one of the tries we conceded was weak defending by Dean, so he needs to improve in that department himself.
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:56 am  
So we nearly won? Ace.
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:57 am  
DallasMead2 wrote:
So we nearly won? Ace.


In the context of this season ,last nights result is a definite positive. Cas on Thursday could be a good marker.

The end result following a second half recovery still glosses over 3 early & seemingly easy Leeds tries. Great to hear young Bentley was on form.
Re: Tonight’s match v Leeds : Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:10 am  
DallasMead2 wrote:
So we nearly won? Ace.


I guess you'll be moaning until we've won a grand final. If you'd followed Warrington since our last win, you'd have been moaning for 67 years.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Warrington Wolves