FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Todays match v Salford
Re: Todays match v Salford : Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:43 pm  
We’re a right old mess for sure, for all the reasons mentioned in multiple threads on here. But let’s all calm down a bit eh, there’s no way on God’s green earth that we’re getting relegated. Not while Wakey and Toulouse exist anyway.
Re: Todays match v Salford : Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:01 pm  
CW8 wrote:
I think there is a real danger that Powell could alienate the whole squad including the players who are signed up for next season. Nobody seems to be playing for him, team selections are baffling, ratchford has been great for us but never really as an organising halfback. A centre in the halves instead of an academy graduate whose future hinges on getting enough game time to develop. More alarm bells every week

I still back Powell but if the players who are staying don't then his position is surelt untenable. He needs to shake up the coaching staff, we need a new defence coach and atta k coach because at the minute both are pretty much hopeless.

I'm very concerned as our head coach, Powell should personally have got involved during training to ensure the defensive and attacking structures translate onto the pitch on match day. If he has, then he's not the man for the job, if he hasn't, then that's the final card he is able to play, and why hasn't he played it earlier.
Re: Todays match v Salford : Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:03 pm  
I’ll bet If Powell could get the chance to go back to the pre-season and start again, his first words would be: “I want to come in, not change too much in the way we do things initially, but start to introduce my style once we’ve settled in to the season and I’ve worked out the players. Then over the next 12 months we’ll see who will be the future of the club as we build for a real push in 2023.

Of course this wouldn’t have gone down well with the fans, but it probably would have been a better option (easy to say with hindsight of course). The problem is that Warrington is a pressure situation and immediate results are expected. I think maybe Powell tried too much too quick and expected more from the players. If he survives this season (and personally I’ll be prepared to give him a freebie for 2022 in return for a spectacular 2023) then I expect it will have been a very very hard lesson in coaching.
Re: Todays match v Salford : Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:48 pm  
easyWire wrote:
I’ll bet If Powell could get the chance to go back to the pre-season and start again, his first words would be: “I want to come in, not change too much in the way we do things initially, but start to introduce my style once we’ve settled in to the season and I’ve worked out the players. Then over the next 12 months we’ll see who will be the future of the club as we build for a real push in 2023.

If he had a time machine I'd hope they'd be a fairly lengthy list of leasons learned:

I need two props minimum
Cherry picking my mates from Cas might not work out
Mental note to self - don't publically humiliate youngsters
If they ask to go home early, say you'll think about it
Re: above, don't think about it but don't mention it
Phone Pricey and ask for a copy of his defence manual
Re: Todays match v Salford : Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:35 pm  
If Ashton is fit and doesn't come back into the team, then I'm joining the Powell Out campaign.
Re: Todays match v Salford : Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:19 pm  
Good heavens if Minikin keeps his spot ahead of Ashton I’ll personally march the fool back to Yorkshire by his ears.
Re: Todays match v Salford : Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:35 pm  
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:
Missed a tackle very early on allowing them to make a break, and was stood on his heels when someone walked past him for their 2nd(I think) try.

Need to make a correction to this, as Kevin said, he did support widdop on the break to set up Ratchford's try.

Apologies though, it was currie that stuck an arm out for the 2nd try in the first half
Previous