RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Powell OUT
Re: Powell OUT : Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:30 pm  
Moe syslak wrote:
We are not actually safe from relegation yet!

True. But I'd be seriously questioning the integrity of the league if we were to be relegated from this position now.

3 away games (they haven't won away all year & are now expected to win all 3) & a home game with Catalans isn't exactly a fixture list I'd be expecting them to get maximum points from?
Re: Powell OUT : Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:32 pm  
If we both lose next week, then they will need to win all their remaining games and turn round whatever the points difference is (currently 117 in our favour). Wigan haven't lost a home game, Toulouse haven't won an away game.
Re: Powell OUT : Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:38 pm  
Dita's Slot Meter wrote:
d that interview with Powell, one thing is clear, unless things go extremely badly wrong, then he's here for 3 years minimum.

Its obvious the board have given him a 3 year project, on the basis that they recognised the playing squad had been taking the p!ss for the previous few years under Price.

I'd reckon that his job is basically as follows...

Year 1, 2022 - assess the squad and clear out the dead wood & trouble makers, with results being almost secondary in the grand scheme of things.

Year 2 2023 - once rid of the unrequired players and with new players in (note the 2 year contracts), it will be a season of 'bedding in', showing improvement and some sort of plan coming into place - I'd suggest that again, results will be almost secondary and that a lack of trophies, and even a lack of seriously challenging for trophies will be seen as acceptable by the board, as long as the side is shown as competing in games on a consistent basis - Play off qualification will be seen as a success and putting up a half decent show in them will be seen as big success.

Year 3 2024 - This will be the year when Powell will be expected to deliver. A serious challenge for all trophies will be a minimum and of it doesn't arrive, then I'd expect that when he will exit the club.

While many on here won't agree with this, that is, I suspect, the reality of the situation and so I'd suggest that extending this particular thread might have as much use as p!ssing in a strong breeze - whatever your opinion on him, Powell is here to stay.

I'll pee in any strong breeze I want thanks.
However, why not have another topic called Powell's Progress. We can then monitor how he is going on against your 3 year plan?
Re: Powell OUT : Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:41 pm  
Wolf Hall wrote:
[/b]

I'll pee in any strong breeze I want thanks.
However, why not have another topic called Powell's Progress. We can then monitor how he is going on against your 3 year plan?

Feel free to start one. In the meantime, we can all laugh at your p!ss stained trousers.... :lol:
Re: Powell OUT : Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:48 pm  
Dita's Slot Meter wrote:
Feel free to start one. In the meantime, we can all laugh at your p!ss stained trousers.... :lol:

You always rise to the occasion DSM.
Keep it up big man...
Re: Powell OUT : Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:31 am  
Hopefully when the weather breaks we can return to a more pleasant discourse.
Re: Powell OUT : Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:51 pm  
Almost 400 years ago, the speech below, brought on civil war.

We're stuck with a coach, who blames everyone but himself.

The sentiment remains the same.

To all of Parliament
On April 20 1653, Cromwell addressed parliament:

It is not fit that you should sit here any longer. You have sat here too long for any good you have been doing lately … In the name of God go.“
Last edited by lefty goldblatt on Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Powell OUT : Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:53 pm  
lefty goldblatt wrote:
Almost 400 years ago, The following speech, brought on civil war. We're stuck with a coach, who blames everyone, but himself.

The sentiment remains the same

To all of Parliament

It is not fit that you should sit here any longer. You have sat here too long for any good you have been doing lately … In the name of God go.“

Thought it was Richard Harris that said it :lol: :lol: :lol: now where did I leave my coat.
Re: Powell OUT : Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:15 pm  
lefty goldblatt wrote:
Almost 400 years ago, the speech below, brought on civil war.

We're stuck with a coach, who blames everyone but himself.

The sentiment remains the same.

To all of Parliament

The tabloids also said that about Sir Bobby Robson.
What's to say Powell won't take us to a semi final one day, and become a national treasure.
Re: Powell OUT : Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:22 pm  
sally cinnamon wrote:
The tabloids also said that about Sir Bobby Robson.
What's to say Powell won't take us to a semi final one day, and become a national treasure.

And then in the immortal words of Mike Bassett...

.. 'FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!!...'
PreviousNext