WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - New Deals
New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:12 pm  
Mighty_Wires88 User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Ben Currie, Matt Davis and J. Clark have all signed new deals at the club. Currie until 2023, Davis on a 2 year deal and Jason Clark for a further 12 months which will give him another opportunity to play with Greg Inglis.

https://warringtonwolves.com/news/2020/november/New-deals-for-Wire-trio/

After months of speculation early on in the year I’m glad we’ve kept hold of Currie. I still think he offers a great value to the team, especially down that left flank with King this year, it’s another building block to getting back to his best. If anyone follows Anthony Gelling on Instagram, he posted a video early today and the club gym was empty with only Currie training away, not even 10 days since our season ended...

There was speculation about Davis leaving also, but every time I’ve seen Davis play this year he’s done well and punches well above his weight. I’m glad he’s staying too, but I think his future lies as a busy 13 rather than used as bartering ram at prop. And since Jason Clark pretty much brokered there GI deal, there’s no surprise he’s staying another 12 months.
Last edited by Mighty_Wires88 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Re: New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:32 pm  

User avatargary numan wrote:
gary numan User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I like matt Davis but he's just not big enough. Clarke is wasting an overseas spot and Currie, hmm
The best way to predict the future is to create it...
Re: New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:04 pm  

Alffi_7 wrote:
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Really pleased Currie has signed, 2020 was his best season since his injuries and with another preseason behind him, hopefully 2021 will be even better.
Re: New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:06 pm  
Winslade's Offload 100% League Network
100% League Network

I don't think this has been mentioned before, but if we bought in another high quality prop to help with the grunt work then I suspect that we would be far less critical of both Clark and Davis. You would need to drop one of them anyway in order to play the new prop. Clark restricted to just tackling and cleaning up whilst using Davis in a scooting and back up hooker type role would be fine by me.
Re: New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:38 pm  
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

No surprises here. Clark and Davis are very similar and should not be on the pitch at the same time as they're both too small. Rather have just Davis, but we all know why Clark has a further 12 months. Currie has shown enough this season to merit another contract.
Re: New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:52 pm  

CW8 wrote:
CW8 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Winslade's Offload wrote:
I don't think this has been mentioned before, but if we bought in another high quality prop to help with the grunt work then I suspect that we would be far less critical of both Clark and Davis. You would need to drop one of them anyway in order to play the new prop. Clark restricted to just tackling and cleaning up whilst using Davis in a scooting and back up hooker type role would be fine by me.

This, I agree totally Davis at interchange 9 is where I see his future. We desperately need another prop or 2 to see the best of all of the forward line.

I'd still love king to second row because it really opens up our play through the forwards and releasing the backs.

Really glad currie is signed up, he's had a good year another one injury free as well, he's very dependable in defence and attack. Just need a coach that believes in attack now.
Re: New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:08 pm  
Lord Tony Smith User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Underwhelming news. I wouldn’t have been bothered if all three left to be honest.
Re: New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:13 pm  

User avatarCaptain Hook wrote:
Captain Hook User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I’m glad Currie has signed, definitely heading in the right direction. I’m a Matt Davis fan. He was totally misused agains Hull, he is not a battering ram prop. He does a job at back up hooker and back row interchange. I’m not sure what position Clark SHOULD play but I’m not convinced he is worth a quota spot, far too similar to Hughes for my liking. A Trent Waterhouse style second row would be far more useful.
I’m surprised no one has spotted yet that our real need is a quality prop, I really thought that the knowledgeable on here would have noticed this gap in our squad. Shame on you all!
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Re: New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:24 pm  
morrisseyisawire User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I don't understand some of the negativity around Ben Curries deal. I realise it's generally thought I have something of a biased view where Ben is concerned and of course, there's that restraining order thing, but I maintain it's great news.

Now that his injury problems seem to be over, he has regained most of his pace and durability and he still has what very few backrowers have these days - the ability to time a well-placed pass and to hit a line with potency.

With SOL retired, Ben is the best ball handling back rower in the comp. Problem is, there are very few around him who seem able to put him in half a gap or a 1 on 1.
Re: New Deals Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:00 pm  
lefty goldblatt User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Good news on Currie
Fair play to Davis
Clark.... WTF
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.
Next