u RLFANS.COM - A positive spin for the coming season WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - A positive spin for the coming season

Board index Super League Warrington Wolves A positive spin for the coming season

A positive spin for the coming season
Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 pm
Posted by morleys_deckchair on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 pm
morleys_deckchair User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 135
Rep Position: 185th / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:53 pm
Posts: 9243
Location: Somewhere under the salary cap
i think we have some really talented players coming into this season.

With some luck in regards injuries, and some good performances from key positions, we could have a decent start.

We could see greats starts from Hill, Cooper, Philbin, Akauola.... we be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Massive pessimist
Re: A positive spin for the coming season
Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:45 am
Posted by fez1 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:45 am
fez1 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 117
Rep Position: 199th / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:31 pm
Posts: 1623
Really hope so.
Posted by sally cinnamon on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:58 pm
sally cinnamon User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 397
Rep Position: 61st / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:26 am
Posts: 15279
morleys_deckchair wrote:
i think we have some really talented players coming into this season.

With some luck in regards injuries, and some good performances from key positions, we could have a decent start.

We could see greats starts from Hill, Cooper, Philbin, Akauola.... we be wondering what all the fuss was about.


The fuss just depends on what fans expectations are.

Since about 2014 the strength of our squad has been around the same level. About 3rd to 5th strongest in the league. Some very good players, some fairly ordinary players who will be starters most weeks. It's a squad good enough to make the playoffs, compete for the Challenge Cup and be an outside shot to go all the way through playoffs and win a Grand Final.

That's where we are in 2020. Basically the same place.

So for fans who look in the context of Wire history and have seen years where we've nearly been relegated or gone bust, it's easy to be positive that we are likely to do pretty well.

The fans who have been complaining about recruitment and so on are the ones who aren't satisfied with another repeat of what we've done before. They now want to see us win the Grand Final and play a more exciting style of rugby. Those fans haven't seen anything to get optimistic this off season. They will just think, we're going to pick up where we left off last year, with the big signing Widdop injured, and lots of talk about how this is the strongest squad ever and so on, that's not really believable till they see it on the pitch.

So like you say, we have some talented players...with some luck on injuries...could have a decent start. The fans in that second group though, won't be satisfied with a decent start, they've already seen that happen recent seasons. They'll want to see something on the pitch that makes you feel we're credible Grand Final winners, not just be a team that's aiming to make it to the playoffs and cling to the hope that "anything can happen in the playoffs" (spoiler: Saints, Wigan or Leeds always win).
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016
Posted by Captain Hook on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:06 pm
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 624
Rep Position: 22nd / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:54 pm
Posts: 2320
Location: Looking for my Happy Clapper membership card
sally cinnamon wrote:
The fuss just depends on what fans expectations are.

Since about 2014 the strength of our squad has been around the same level. About 3rd to 5th strongest in the league. Some very good players, some fairly ordinary players who will be starters most weeks. It's a squad good enough to make the playoffs, compete for the Challenge Cup and be an outside shot to go all the way through playoffs and win a Grand Final.

That's where we are in 2020. Basically the same place.

So for fans who look in the context of Wire history and have seen years where we've nearly been relegated or gone bust, it's easy to be positive that we are likely to do pretty well.

The fans who have been complaining about recruitment and so on are the ones who aren't satisfied with another repeat of what we've done before. They now want to see us win the Grand Final and play a more exciting style of rugby. Those fans haven't seen anything to get optimistic this off season. They will just think, we're going to pick up where we left off last year, with the big signing Widdop injured, and lots of talk about how this is the strongest squad ever and so on, that's not really believable till they see it on the pitch.

So like you say, we have some talented players...with some luck on injuries...could have a decent start. The fans in that second group though, won't be satisfied with a decent start, they've already seen that happen recent seasons. They'll want to see something on the pitch that makes you feel we're credible Grand Final winners, not just be a team that's aiming to make it to the playoffs and cling to the hope that "anything can happen in the playoffs" (spoiler: Saints, Wigan or Leeds always win).

I’m not sure you’ve the hang of “positive spin”.
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Posted by sir adrian morley on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:52 am
sir adrian morley User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 401
Rep Position: 60th / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:02 pm
Posts: 7623
Location: Home sweet home
Knew season around the corner normally very optimistic about the season ahead..this time we go to Wigan then we have the cup runners up on our patch it doesn't fill me with hope for the season ahead especially on the back end of last seasons dross..hope I'm wrong and we blow these 2 clubs away with ease but won't be holding breath.
Re: A positive spin for the coming season
Post Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 am
Posted by Superblue on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 am
Superblue Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 121
Rep Position: 196th / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 538
My own feeling is that this season will be somewhat the inverse of last season .

I think we will start weakly but finish strongly.

Our strong finish to start with our Challenge Cup victory at Wembley Stadium :D
Re: A positive spin for the coming season
Post Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:28 am
Posted by Captain Hook on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:28 am
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 624
Rep Position: 22nd / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:54 pm
Posts: 2320
Location: Looking for my Happy Clapper membership card
Superblue wrote:
My own feeling is that this season will be somewhat the inverse of last season .

I think we will start weakly but finish strongly.

Our strong finish to start with our Challenge Cup victory at Wembley Stadium :D

Now that counts as positive!
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Posted by sally cinnamon on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:17 pm
sally cinnamon User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 397
Rep Position: 61st / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:26 am
Posts: 15279
That's not positive spin, thats just 'saying what you hope will happen'.

Warrington will be the 'invincibles', win the treble without dropping a point. Karl Fitzpatrick will react to the club's success with grace and dignity and respect for all opponents. To celebrate our win, SJM concerts will put on a gig at the HJ headlined by the Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, 808 state. Lee Briers will be knighted in the Queens honours.

After Brexit prices will fall, there will be more jobs. Boris will invest in the NHS and the train service will be the best in the developed world. Trump will get banned from Twitter.

When you get a bus, the teenagers sat at the back will sit quietly reading novels and respecting other passengers. All pies in Wigan will be plant-based. Tribal tattoos will no longer be a thing.
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016
Posted by rubber duckie on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:25 pm
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1961
Rep Position: 1st / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 14580
sally cinnamon wrote:
That's not positive spin, thats just 'saying what you hope will happen'.

Warrington will be the 'invincibles', win the treble without dropping a point. Karl Fitzpatrick will react to the club's success with grace and dignity and respect for all opponents. To celebrate our win, SJM concerts will put on a gig at the HJ headlined by the Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, 808 state. Lee Briers will be knighted in the Queens honours.

After Brexit prices will fall, there will be more jobs. Boris will invest in the NHS and the train service will be the best in the developed world. Trump will get banned from Twitter.

When you get a bus, the teenagers sat at the back will sit quietly reading novels and respecting other passengers. All pies in Wigan will be plant-based. Tribal tattoos will no longer be a thing.

That's a good post.
This +1
once a wire always a wire
Posted by St Helens Wolf on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:54 pm
St Helens Wolf Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 78
Rep Position: 238th / 78,036

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:49 pm
Posts: 225
At this moment we are equal on points with St Helens and, because the table is being drawn up alphabetically, we're above Wigan. How's that for positive spin?
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: glee, Google [Bot], karetaker and 116 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Warrington Wolves


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,025,1161,27578,0364,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.






21