Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:40 pm
Posted by Captain Hook on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:40 pm
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 569
Rep Position: 25th / 77,858

Quiz Score: 0

Mighty_Wires88 wrote:
Underdogs or not, seems like Pricey doesn’t even back his own side to win it. Which doesn’t send out a great message does it? Sounds like he’s defeated already Price.

‘We are the biggest underdogs in Challenge Cup History’
Or something along lines...doesn’t sit well me these type of comments. It’s the type of comments you expect from a pundit or an extra wire player not your head coach.

I wouldnt't read too much into what a coach says in these circumstances. He's trying to put pressure on the opposition and relieve his team of it.
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Re: Tonights Game v Wigan
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Posted by Mighty_Wires88 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Mighty_Wires88 User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 135
Rep Position: 180th / 77,858

Captain Hook wrote:
I wouldnt't read too much into what a coach says in these circumstances. He's trying to put pressure on the opposition and relieve his team of it.

Mind games or not, I’m not really impressed with this type of spiel. Like the majority of his post match interviews recently.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:51 pm
Posted by matt_wire on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:51 pm
matt_wire User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 140
Rep Position: 176th / 77,858

FearTheVee wrote:
So you're bigger underdogs than say Hull KR v Leeds 2015? Catalans v Saints 2007? Hudds v Saints 2006? London v Leeds 1999? Sheffield v Wigan 1998? And that's only the last 20 years.

It's absolute nonsense - you will have internationals like Ratchford, Charnley, Hill, Clark, Cooper on the pitch. Big NRL signings like Goodwin. England Knights players like Jack Hughes and Ben Currie. Players poached from other SL clubs for their performances like Mamo and Lineham. Damaging runners in the pack like BMM and Philbin.

Yet you're the biggest underdogs in Challenge Cup history? Give over.

Are we favourites, of course. Is it the most one-sided match ever played at Wembley in prospect? As I said, complete BS.

For those of us who have watched the last ten games, yes, it bloody well feels that way.

Can’t you go back to Redvee and enjoy the mutual cockiness and assured victory?
Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:18 pm
Posted by sally cinnamon on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:18 pm
sally cinnamon User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 348
Rep Position: 65th / 77,858

Mighty_Wires88 wrote:
Mind games or not, I’m not really impressed with this type of spiel. Like the majority of his post match interviews recently.

There's a direct correlation between the popularity of a coach's post-match comments and the results.

When you lose every week, whatever the coach says, will antagonise the fans. The coach has to say something though so is always on to a loser.

Nobody would have minded if Tony Smith said "we trained well all week", if we were winning.

It gets exacerbated when you have a coach who likes to talk a lot, eg Paul Cullen or Brendon Rodgers / Roberto Martinez in football. When they were having good seasons they had the press hanging off everything they said, seeing their words as the insights of genius. When results turned, their tendency to chat a lot made them easy caricatures.
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Champions 2011 2016
Previous