WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Serious issues.....

Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Serious issues.....

Re: Serious issues.....
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:11 pm
Posted by Superblue on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:11 pm
Superblue Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 200th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 0

Although our performances have certainly regressed, has our actual capability also regressed, or are we just being a little smarter than previous in targeting our matches.
If I were a Wire player the upcoming semi final would have been at the back of my mind and therefore would certainly be tempted to hold back a bit and then throw the kitchen sink in the semi.
It’s human nature, I’ve done it myself in my football days.
I am sure that all them Wire players will badly want to return to Wembley if nothing more than to erase the memory of last years debacle against Catalan, put the record straight with the fans.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm
Posted by morrisseyisawire on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm
morrisseyisawire User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 242
Rep Position: 108th / 77,904

I don't understand where Price finds the belief that the style of rugby we have played for most of his tenure willl bring results.

We don't have several hard yards props like Catalan, Hull or Saints
We don't have a punishing kicking game that pins teams back until they sucumb
We don't have aggressive defensive line speed

All of those are needed to make a success of Aussie style grind the opposition down tactics.

What we do have is a good offload game, though I haven't seen it for a few months
What we do have is one of the top two hookers in the comp who can destroy teams via a quick ptb
What do we do have are two prolific wingers
What we do have is a genuinely dangerous stand-off

So lets get back to playing to our strengths and picking a team capable of doing that.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:16 pm
Posted by lefty goldblatt on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:16 pm
lefty goldblatt User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 513
Rep Position: 34th / 77,904

Moe syslak wrote:
So are we going to start asking questions of Price or not?

I think we have to.
He came in with a clean slate, with new signings, and he got to two finals, both of which we lost. So, without the British disease of celebrating getting to finals and having heroic defeats, he achieved nothing in his first season.

9 months on, yes, we're in a CCSF, but we're in very poor form, he's selecting players who are so far away from the standard required, it's ridiculous. Currie has been back for 4 months, yet he still looks like a YTS lad, following round his mentor. Don't get me started on Patton, and a couple of others. These players are so far away from deserving a shirt, yet they get picked without fail. Drop them, and promote from the youth, or take another risk, and play someone out of position. To continue playing these failing individuals, is a recipe for disaster.

So yes, the blame is fairly and squarely at Price's door. Or should I say sandpit. Because that's where his head is currently buried (apart from a certain orifice).
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:18 pm
Posted by ratticusfinch on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:18 pm
ratticusfinch User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 217
Rep Position: 124th / 77,904

If we were thinking about the semi then it was the perfect chance to try a few changes. Livett and Johnson in. Shove King in the second row and drop/rest one of Currie/Hughes and give Burrell a run out.
Ettinghausen's gone ice skatin'
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:20 pm
Posted by fez1 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:20 pm
fez1 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 103
Rep Position: 213th / 77,904

Treatment of some players seems.... strange shall we say.....

Agreed that Westwod must be in the 17, and I would have had Atkins in place of Toby King - but oh no - he's been told he can have an Op as he won't be playing for us again (that's me sumizing rather than it being based on fact).

Price is on very thin ice - and I have never been one to call for heads to roll (I never called for PC and TS heads).
I'd love to understand what Prices plans are going forward. He simply can't pick that 17 for Hull.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 pm
Posted by Superblue on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 pm
Superblue Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 116
Rep Position: 200th / 77,904

Currently the Bolton weather forecast for next Saturday is 22 deg, with gentle breeze, so could be a case of who tires first loses.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 pm
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 pm
Psychedelic Casual User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 527
Rep Position: 31st / 77,904

Moe syslak wrote:
So are we going to start asking questions of Price or not?

During a run of poor form?
No

Half way through a season when we’re almost assured of a play-off place as a team who’s aim is to get into the play-offs?
No

After just 18 months in the job?
For some maybe, but not for me - unless you’re absolutely stinking the place out, three years is the time for that
Last edited by Psychedelic Casual on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:16 pm
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:16 pm
Psychedelic Casual User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 527
Rep Position: 31st / 77,904

fez1 wrote:
Treatment of some players seems.... strange shall we say.....

Agreed that Westwod must be in the 17, and I would have had Atkins in place of Toby King - but oh no - he's been told he can have an Op as he won't be playing for us again (that's me sumizing rather than it being based on fact).

Price is on very thin ice - and I have never been one to call for heads to roll (I never called for PC and TS heads).
I'd love to understand what Prices plans are going forward. He simply can't pick that 17 for Hull.

Westwood’s muscles have turned to jelly. Earlier this season he was running into defensive lines with the ball as fast as he could and melting into the tacklers, looking busy but doing absolutely nothing and getting dominated.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:20 pm
Posted by CW8 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:20 pm
CW8 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 366
Rep Position: 62nd / 77,904

It's boring and predictable at the minute. We're easy to play against and rightly so opposing teams don't have any fear about facing us.

Our attack absolutely stinks, we are trying to play a tight game being very hard to score against and controlling the field position but errors and discipline are killing us completely. The game play just isn't working because the players just don't have the mentality to carry it out. Time to play a style that suits the players that we have. Fitness is potentially a huge concern as well but we defend so many sets it's just as likely to be the errors and penalties conceded that are making us look tired as well.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:22 pm
Posted by Fantastic Mr Catpiss on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:22 pm
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 554
Rep Position: 28th / 77,904

Quiz Score: 208

Psychedelic Casual wrote:
During a run of poor form?
No

Half way through a season when we’re almost assured of a play-off place as a team who’s aim is to get into the play-offs?
No

After just 18 months in the job?
For some maybe, but not for me - unless you’re absolutely stinking the place out, three years is the time for that

Its not just a poor run of form though, we over achieved with no pressure last year without a doubt, coupled with us bouncing back frkm a very miserable 2017, price earned a lot of brownie points.

However he's rapidly pissing them up the wall this season, since the brick wall of the saints game, we are unrecognisable from earlier in the season, and whilst he's giving soundbites to suggest we're getting to the bottom of it, we're getting worse.
PreviousNext