WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wigan Week #5

Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Wigan Week #5

Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 am  

User avatarWires71 wrote:
Wires71 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 11349
Location: Todavía aquí, todavía escribiendo.
silver2 wrote:
The season used to start with a game against Wigan in the form of the Wardonia/ Locker cup.
We'd then play them twice in the league so it only needed a further game in one of the many cup matches and we're up to four/ season.


Ah yes, but I guess that was a "friendly" in name. :-)
Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 am  

User avatarWires71 wrote:
Wires71 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 11349
Location: Todavía aquí, todavía escribiendo.
So basically 1 friendly, 2 league and the rest knock out competitions. I seem to remember a lot of finals and semi-finals vs Wigan in the 80's.
Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:42 am  

User avatarUncle Rico wrote:
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 4620
Location: Stuck in 1982
I think that you can discount Cup competitions as it is as FMC says the 'luck of the draw'. The feeling at HJ in the cup game this year was a bit different to a 'normal' league fixture that sudden death element.

However, having a league structure that virtually guarantees 4 games against the same opposition does take the edge of it. I'd like to see the back of Magic TBH as lop sided league fixture, perhaps have it as a Cup round?
Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 am  

Alffi_7 wrote:
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 1952
Was going to post similar on the number of fixtures vs Wigan.

Ideally we need a 14 team structure to help minimise that, but the money isn’t there for that.

That would still leave a maximum of 4 fixtures I guess, but better than a maximum of 6.
Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:34 am  
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:35 pm
Posts: 37187
well get ready for the return of the loop fixtures, as thats what seems to be getting pushed for the egm tomorrow.

Certainly what warrington are supporting, according to the guardian
Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:21 am  

rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 14934
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:
well get ready for the return of the loop fixtures, as thats what seems to be getting pushed for the egm tomorrow.

Certainly what warrington are supporting, according to the guardian

How do they work FMC?
once a wire always a wire
Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:24 am  
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:35 pm
Posts: 37187
rubber duckie wrote:
How do they work FMC?



same as we had from about 2002/03 onwards, 6 extra fixtures at the end of the season, so an even more uneven fixture list.

It's backwards this, the clubs have all got a minimum number of home games they deem 'required' and the fixtures are fit in around that. The easier answer would be expand to 14 teams, but no one wants to take a cut their central funding.
Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:30 am  

User avatarUncle Rico wrote:
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 4620
Location: Stuck in 1982
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:
well get ready for the return of the loop fixtures, as thats what seems to be getting pushed for the egm tomorrow.

Certainly what warrington are supporting, according to the guardian


I might be a lone voice here, but, apart from Magic, I don't actually mind the current structure. The split last year gave us the an opportunity of visiting the likes of Fev so a boost for them and a change of scene for us and a bit of jeopardy early on in proceedings.

I'm not wishing it upon us, but, the top 4 being settled early-ish hasn't helped on the drama front at the top. If Hudd's had won last week, this week's game would have had a different complexion rather than a bit 'meh' in modern parlance.

This year's Q8's are quite interesting IMO with 3/4 strong Championship teams, perhaps we haven't given this system enough time?
Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:57 am  
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:35 pm
Posts: 37187
:SHOOT:
Uncle Rico wrote:
I might be a lone voice here, but, apart from Magic, I don't actually mind the current structure. The split last year gave us the an opportunity of visiting the likes of Fev so a boost for them and a change of scene for us and a bit of jeopardy early on in proceedings.

I'm not wishing it upon us, but, the top 4 being settled early-ish hasn't helped on the drama front at the top. If Hudd's had won last week, this week's game would have had a different complexion rather than a bit 'meh' in modern parlance.

This year's Q8's are quite interesting IMO with 3/4 strong Championship teams, perhaps we haven't given this system enough time?



i'm with you, i don't mind it, its not the fixtures its the clubs own fault that there are perceived dead rounds, but the qualifiers are great, it was said that this format was to give Championship clubs the illusion that promotion was possible, its been great viewing, its like the cup giant killing in a mini season. I love it. i think the furore over the million pound game is a bit over done, yes there may be jobs at stake but its the same in a season with standard relegation, and chances are relegation battles would still be televised, so i don't know why people are moaning over this now.
Re: Wigan Week #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 pm  
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 2465
In Ye Olde league of the 1970's there were four teams up and down. That would cause some consternation if that format came back.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 71 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Warrington Wolves

cron

POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,117,87877878,4354,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X