WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Is our pack good enough?

Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Is our pack good enough?

Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:00 pm
Posted by ninearches on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:00 pm
ninearches Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 305
Rep Position: 85th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 304

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:01 pm
Posts: 4123
Location: newton-le-willows

Just goes to show the importance of an intermediate open age reserve level. Nobody can expect kids to be big enough to go straight into super league.
Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 pm
Posted by Oxford Exile on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 pm
Oxford Exile User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 142
Rep Position: 176th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:57 am
Posts: 3978
Location: Its in the name
rubber duckie wrote:
Bloody Hell its all doom and gloom.

We're all doomed I tell ya, doooooomed!


its not doom and gloom..we will be better than last year (not too difficult)..BUT we have to have realistic levels of expectation....otherwise the new coach and the team will be put under too much pressure based on unrealistic expectations.

I expect a top 6-8 finish and a decent cup run....more than that is a bonus IMO....we are building again....heading in the right direction....but I really don't expect us to make the top 4 or a final....because we are still short of enough top class players to achieve that IMO. Hope i am wrong.
top flight since 1895
Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:59 pm
Posted by rubber duckie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:59 pm
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1870
Rep Position: 1st / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 14035
Oxford Exile wrote:
its not doom and gloom..we will be better than last year (not too difficult)..BUT we have to have realistic levels of expectation....otherwise the new coach and the team will be put under too much pressure based on unrealistic expectations.

I expect a top 6-8 finish and a decent cup run....more than that is a bonus IMO....we are building again....heading in the right direction....but I really don't expect us to make the top 4 or a final....because we are still short of enough top class players to achieve that IMO. Hope i am wrong.

"6-8"....
So you're happy if we get one more point than last year and "everything else is a bonus"..?

Ok ... I'm out...but I agree I hope you're wrong.
once a wire always a wire
Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 pm
Posted by the flying biscuit on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 pm
the flying biscuit User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 80
Rep Position: 234th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:37 pm
Posts: 5627
Location: Not saving souls, or breaking promises
It's not doom n gloom its maybe a bit like 2009. .... not good enough to win the big prize and we may finish midtable. But with a new coach and still a smattering of quality players we could get to Wembley.....
I expect nothing better because we are a hooker a good prop and a good winger short.

If Price wins a trophy with this team he will have already done infinitely better than Tony Smith.
Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:32 pm
Posted by Wires71 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:32 pm
Wires71 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 590
Rep Position: 21st / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 11104
rubber duckie wrote:
"6-8"....
So you're happy if we get one more point than last year and "everything else is a bonus"..?

Ok ... I'm out...but I agree I hope you're wrong.



Rubber, there is a difference between being happy with mid table and expecting it. There was a lot wrong at the Wire and it had been brewing for a while. It will take time to fix that due to hysteresis.
https://www.mind.org.uk
Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:48 pm
Posted by silver2 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:48 pm
silver2 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 269
Rep Position: 98th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 1577
Location: Warrington
Hysteresis. Now there's a word that you don't see very often on a RL forum.
Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:55 pm
Posted by rubber duckie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:55 pm
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1870
Rep Position: 1st / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 14035
Wires71 wrote:
Rubber, there is a difference between being happy with mid table and expecting it. There was a lot wrong at the Wire and it had been brewing for a while. It will take time to fix that due to hysteresis.

Woah Woah Woah


We finished 9th one point off 8th and I'm reading posters are happy to finish 8th!

Go away with you all. I've never read such tripe. If I was Simon Middleton and SJM I'd be kicking in my front door, back door, the shed door and the cat from next door with frustration if we improved nothing more that a point and 8th over 9th!!!!
once a wire always a wire
Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:25 pm
Posted by ratticusfinch on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:25 pm
ratticusfinch User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 217
Rep Position: 124th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Warrington
People are judging our squad (and our chances) by 2011 standards. No team has two quality hookers these days....no team certainly has our replacement forwards from 2011, no team has a pair of outstanding centres or wingers either. Ideally we could certainly do with a nasty prop and a few other tweaks....but we're in a fairly low grade horse race with a pretty decent horse, top 3 is EASILY achievable.
Ettinghausen's gone ice skatin'
Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:41 pm
Posted by lefty goldblatt on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:41 pm
lefty goldblatt User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 513
Rep Position: 34th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:25 pm
Posts: 6737
Location: South Stand.....bored
ratticusfinch wrote:
People are judging our squad (and our chances) by 2011 standards. No team has two quality hookers these days....no team certainly has our replacement forwards from 2011, no team has a pair of outstanding centres or wingers either. Ideally we could certainly do with a nasty prop and a few other tweaks....but we're in a fairly low grade horse race with a pretty decent horse, top 3 is EASILY achievable.


Agree with all of that, rf
imo, SL is at an all time low in terms of quality. We have Champions which were easily taken apart at the HJ last season, as well as other places. A Saints side which blows hot and cold. A Wigan side with just held on to 8th place, an over achieving Wakey, Cas, despite playing great rugby for 6 months, ran on empty at the end of the season. Hudds, well, they are what they are. Salford will win 5 on the bounce again, proclaim themselves as big players again, and then struggle to beat St Winifred's School Choir. Hull will just be Hull.

Let's not get all "we're not worthy" simply because we had a 5h1te 2017.
Get off to a good start, and anything is possible.

We have a LOT of players on (I assume) very good contracts who DID NOT deliver, last year. IF these players pull their fingers out, anything is possible.

I believe we have shortcomings in our side. So does everyone else.
No reason why we should set low targets.

AIM HIGH.
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.
Re: Is our pack good enough?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:09 pm
Posted by rubber duckie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:09 pm
rubber duckie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1870
Rep Position: 1st / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm
Posts: 14035
lefty goldblatt wrote:
Agree with all of that, rf
imo, SL is at an all time low in terms of quality. We have Champions which were easily taken apart at the HJ last season, as well as other places. A Saints side which blows hot and cold. A Wigan side with just held on to 8th place, an over achieving Wakey, Cas, despite playing great rugby for 6 months, ran on empty at the end of the season. Hudds, well, they are what they are. Salford will win 5 on the bounce again, proclaim themselves as big players again, and then struggle to beat St Winifred's School Choir. Hull will just be Hull.

Let's not get all "we're not worthy" simply because we had a 5h1te 2017.
Get off to a good start, and anything is possible.

We have a LOT of players on (I assume) very good contracts who DID NOT deliver, last year. IF these players pull their fingers out, anything is possible.

I believe we have shortcomings in our side. So does everyone else.
No reason why we should set low targets.

AIM HIGH.

Agreed.
No one remembers the runners up.
once a wire always a wire
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alffi_7, Boss Hog, Builth Wells Wire, Captain Hook, matt6169, MSN [Bot], OSWire1993, richmond, spacks grandad, St Helens Wolf, Who are ya!! and 128 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Warrington Wolves


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,984,7751,75077,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Thu 6th Feb 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
ST.HELENS
Sun 16th Feb 15:00
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 21st Feb 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
TORONTO
Fri 28th Feb 19:45
SL
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 6th Mar 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
CASTLEFORD
Thu 12th Mar 19:45
SL
HULL FC
v
WARRINGTON
Sun 22nd Mar 15:00
SL
HULL KR
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 27th Mar 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Sat 11th Apr 15:00
SL
WARRINGTON
v
SALFORD
Sun 19th Apr 15:00
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 24th Apr 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Thu 30th Apr 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WARRINGTON
Sat 16th May 15:00
SL
WARRINGTON
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 24th May 14:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Sat 30th May 15:00
SL
WARRINGTON
v
HULL FC
Sat 13th Jun 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WARRINGTON
Thu 18th Jun 19:45
SL
SALFORD
v
WARRINGTON
Thu 25th Jun 19:45
SL
WARRINGTON
v
ST.HELENS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





21