FORUMS FORUMS







RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
24 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
  
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Fred Lindop
Fred Lindop : Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:46 pm  
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/64386976

Oooh some stories of matches he reffed back in the day.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/64386976

Oooh some stories of matches he reffed back in the day.
Re: Fred Lindop : Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:27 pm  
Fred'll Fix It

More bent than a corkscrew

Not as bad as Biased Billy Thompson, though
Re: Fred Lindop : Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:00 pm  
lefty goldblatt wrote:
Fred'll Fix It

More bent than a corkscrew

Not as bad as Biased Billy Thompson, though


Ooof Billy Thompson now there was a character. How we have moaned about Ganson et al all the referees since them two were not in the same league.
Re: Fred Lindop : Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:04 pm  
Since the birth of Sky coverage (increased exposure) of our sport, refereeing standards can be classed as incompetent.
Pre Sky, it was nothing short of corrupt
Re: Fred Lindop : Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:00 pm  
I wonder if complete “dislike” of referees is an age thing rather than to do with relative incompetence. As a youngster my views of Lindop and Thompson were not fit for polite company. I can’t get that worked up about the modern lot.
Re: Fred Lindop : Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:32 pm  
lefty goldblatt wrote:
Since the birth of Sky coverage (increased exposure) of our sport, refereeing standards can be classed as incompetent.
Pre Sky, it was nothing short of corrupt


I had the 'pleasure' of Billy's company, as the coach I was on picked him up on the M62 en route to an international at Elland Road at Halifax or Brighouse way back in the 'dim and distant'.

Billy was quite an entertaining speaker which was the price of his free ride but what shone through was he didn't mind players getting their own back and meting out their own justice (good) coupled with his obvious biases towards all things Yorkshire (not so good) and his total enjoyment of his notoriety which is funny in retrospect, not so much at the time.

My mind might be playing tricks, but he didn't have any regard for The Wire in particular.
Re: Fred Lindop : Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:35 pm  
karetaker wrote:
Ooof Billy Thompson now there was a character. How we have moaned about Ganson et al all the referees since them two were not in the same league.

Remember this character turfing us out the cup down here v hull on a Sunday afternoon sure we had half dozen trys chalked off...worst refereeing performance ever... still it was an incident packed Sunday afternoon
Re: Fred Lindop : Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:47 pm  
sir adrian morley wrote:
Remember this character turfing us out the cup down here v hull on a Sunday afternoon sure we had half dozen trys chalked off...worst refereeing performance ever... still it was an incident packed Sunday afternoon

I remember it well.
Corrupt didn't even cover that day. There was no way we were winning that match.
Despite that ******'* best efforts to get Hull to the final, they eventually lost.

Lindop wasn't far behind
Re: Fred Lindop : Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:20 pm  
I was at the CC 1/4 final vs Hull. Disallowed 5 tries.
Needed a police escort off the pitch at the end, the only time I’d ever seen that.

Finished his career as an honorary lifetime member of Hull FC.

I’d asked Billy Thompson about his performance at the game on 2 different radio phone ins. He just mocked the Warrington fans and averted answering the question on each occasion. :SHOOT:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BramleyWire, Captain Hook, Gazwire, Smiffy27, St Helens Wolf and 196 guests

REPLY

Subject: 
Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Warrington Wolves