RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 2022 Betfred Super League Fixtures Announced

Member for 20 years

2022 Betfred Super League Fixtures Announced

On the back of the announcement that Betfred Super League will be broadcast on both Sky Sports and Channel 4 in 2022, Super League can now confirm the full fixture schedule for the upcoming season.
St Helens will launch their defence of the Betfred Super League title at the home to Catalans Dragons, on Thursday 10 February (20:00), in a repeat of the 2021 Grand Final.
The clash between last year's Grand Finalists will be the first live match on Sky Sports in 2022 – it will be followed on Friday night by Hull KR versus Wigan Warriors (20:00).
READ MORE ON THIS STORY...
RLFANS.COM news items are posted in forums where it is thought that they will be of interest to the readership, all comments made below will also be available for viewing through the front page.

User avatarRogerMoore wrote:
RogerMoore User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Member for 16 years
Winners v beaten finalists looks good on paper. However, can't see many neutrals turning up to support Catalan, unlike the Grand Final. Big empty spaces won't look good for the game unless Saints are going to show some initiative and give free/cheap family/NHS workers etc tickets out to fill the void.

User avatarSaddened! wrote:
Saddened! User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 18 years
RogerMoore wrote:
Winners v beaten finalists looks good on paper. However, can't see many neutrals turning up to support Catalan, unlike the Grand Final. Big empty spaces won't look good for the game unless Saints are going to show some initiative and give free/cheap family/NHS workers etc tickets out to fill the void.

You're bagging the way Saints are run? Really?

It'll be interesting to see what the crowd is though. Pre covid it would have been 10-11,000 minimum. With covid we seemed to lose a couple of thousand supporters, no doubt those who hadn't bothered to renew their season tickets or who weren't brave enough to risk certain death by leaving the house. I'd imagine we're 30-40% down on season ticket holders so rather than 12-15,000 being seen as a 'good' crowd for us maybe hitting 10,000 will be going forward.

User avatarBoss Hog wrote:
Boss Hog User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 9 years
Saddened! wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what the crowd is though. Pre covid it would have been 10-11,000 minimum. With covid we seemed to lose a couple of thousand supporters, no doubt those who hadn't bothered to renew their season tickets or who weren't brave enough to risk certain death by leaving the house. I'd imagine we're 30-40% down on season ticket holders so rather than 12-15,000 being seen as a 'good' crowd for us maybe hitting 10,000 will be going forward.

I interpreted his post as that he thinks that the Away end will be empty as usual for all Catalan games in England and that Saints could offer discount/free tickets to counter this, which is not a criticism of the St Helens club.

The 1st Wire game of the season away at Headingly could also be a low attendance, with a 12-30 Hrs Kick off, for a game shown live on Terrestrial TV.

I think the Warrington attendees will be depleted, and that will set the trend for all away fans for trans-pennine games, unless the kick off time is amended
Last edited by Boss Hog on Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatarRogerMoore wrote:
RogerMoore User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Member for 16 years
I'm not bagging Saints at all. As has been said, the away end will be empty, if it is even opened. I was hoping Saints showed the initiative to get a crowd in that end ,thus avoiding the poor perception of Super League that Sky seem oblivious too.

CW8 wrote:
CW8 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 8 years
RogerMoore wrote:
I'm not bagging Saints at all. As has been said, the away end will be empty, if it is even opened. I was hoping Saints showed the initiative to get a crowd in that end ,thus avoiding the poor perception of Super League that Sky seem oblivious too.

All defensive aren't they these saints fans? We knew what you meant.

FWIW I think it will be a good curtain raiser for the season.
MorePlaymakersNeeded Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 3 years
Saddened! wrote:

Filling a vacant space with spectators as a loss leader, may be recouped in the future should they enjoy the experience of attending an RL game.
Makes sense to me.