WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Karl's Interview

Board index Super League Warrington Wolves Karl's Interview

Re: Karl's Interview Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:37 pm  

User avatarCaptain Hook wrote:
Captain Hook User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Lord Tony Smith wrote:
Winning at all costs within the realms of the rules of the game yes.

As mentioned, sport is all about winning. Ask the players and coaches of any sport why they play and it's because they want to succeed and win.

It's why the likes of Roger Federer, Phil Taylor, Ronnie O'Sullivan etc have all been so successful in their professions because they are born winners who have this unbreakable winning mentality.

The board at Warrington have been too happy to accept mediocrity in recent years and have lacked a ruthless winning culture that becomes infectious hence the reason Steve Price is still employed by the club and Tony Smith was here two years longer than he should have been. Even Paul Cullen (God love him) stayed here for longer than he should and he admitted that on the Micky and Woody show. Until that changes, we won't win the big one - it's that simple.

“Winning at all cost WITHIN THE REALMS OF THE RULES” is NOT winning at all costs. It is stating the bleeding obvious.
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Re: Karl's Interview Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:03 pm  
Magic Superbeetle User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Smiffy27 wrote:
Yep ... it hurts me as well but it doesn't make me want to moan & groan.
I have spent a life involved in sport (rugby & cricket) and you can't be Mr Angry every time you lose. Over time, if your favoured club wins 60% of games you have been fortunate. There are many things I would do differently at Wire but I have sympathy for those at the sharp end who make decisions.

The overall super league table came out in the last few days; assuming my maths is right, Saints have won 476/669 games in the SL era and Wigan 445/669, that’s an average win rate over 23 years of 71% and 66% respectively. I doubt either club wouldn’t be taking drastic action if it dropped significantly.
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN:
Re: Karl's Interview Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:45 pm  
Mighty_Wires88 User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

As a club we’ve never had that ‘ruthless killer instinct’ to get the job done and that’s even more evident off the field then it is on it.
Re: Karl's Interview Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:37 pm  
Lord Tony Smith User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Captain Hook wrote:
“Winning at all cost WITHIN THE REALMS OF THE RULES” is NOT winning at all costs. It is stating the bleeding obvious.

I mean to have that never say die attitude, to be a born winner, to never know when you’re beaten and to give everything and leave everything on the pitch. We don’t have that. Never have.
Re: Karl's Interview Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:56 pm  

User avatarSmiffy27 wrote:
Smiffy27 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Magic Superbeetle wrote:
The overall super league table came out in the last few days; assuming my maths is right, Saints have won 476/669 games in the SL era and Wigan 445/669, that’s an average win rate over 23 years of 71% and 66% respectively. I doubt either club wouldn’t be taking drastic action if it dropped significantly.

I enjoyed looking at the "overall league". Saints results have been superb. They have had very few lean years. Biggest surprise was seeing that Bradford were so high.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... le-4761885
Last edited by Smiffy27 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Karl's Interview Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:23 am  

Or thane wrote:
Or thane Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

We've got the players, the facilities and great financial backing. What we seem to lack is leadership and a game plan, Price continually makes strange decisions and incorrect decisions. It comes across that he is unsure most of the time which is not great for a head coach. He clearly can't get the best out of the players consistantly and our attack is dire. Now this has been an awful year and mentality very difficult and people handle it differently. If (Touch wood) Things go back to normal by mid next year and players get there heads right it might be a completely different ball game for us.
But the fact we hit these big slumps and nothing changes points to the coaches for me, all of them. For me if things don't change next year with the roster being as good as it is, then a coach change is 100% needed.
I genuinely hope from now til the start of the season a proper plan of action is taken with regards to our attack, if we can get that working our defence is already there so we should click into a frightening gear.
I believe next year will be a big year for us and i can't wait for the new season already. Life gets back to normal and we are crowned champions is what 2021 holds for us :ROCKS:
Re: Karl's Interview Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:33 am  

User avatarSmiffy27 wrote:
Smiffy27 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Or thane wrote:
We've got the players,

Are you sure?
Austen is not naturally a creative half back (his passing isn't quite there). Widdop is not naturally a half back.
So we are asking Austen to play a game he is not suited to and this is the nub of our problems on attack.
If we had someone like 1. Jackson-Hastings, 2. Sezer or 3. Gayle ... then I would be much more confident.
Re: Karl's Interview Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:47 am  

Paul Youane wrote:
Paul Youane Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Magic Superbeetle wrote:

If only we had a coach and team who could deliver a win percentage of over 70% over the course of a season you'd imagine that would placate the never happy with life brigade.
Re: Karl's Interview Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:53 am  

CW8 wrote:
CW8 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Smiffy27 wrote:
Are you sure?
Austen is not naturally a creative half back (his passing isn't quite there). Widdop is not naturally a half back.
So we are asking Austen to play a game he is not suited to and this is the nub of our problems on attack.
If we had someone like 1. Jackson-Hastings, 2. Sezer or 3. Gayle ... then I would be much more confident.

Austin has no kicking game and widdop does so naturally we have Austin taking charge of the majority of our last tackle kicks! That's atrocious coaching in my book. IF it's the players insisting that's the way they want to play the coach has to step in, tell them that they're wrong and let the post match analysis prove him right. I suspect its an instruction coming from the coaches though. Widdop is a more creative half than Austin and Austin needs to be freed up to do what he is best at which is finding gaps and attacking the opposition line with ball in hand.

The squad we have assembled has been wasted, a lack of props hasn't helped but tactics haven't got the best out of what we do have.
Re: Karl's Interview Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:34 am  

User avatarPhilth wrote:
Philth User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Another question that springs to mind is Sita under Price. Is he just not good enough or can Price not coach him correctly? I'll admit I've got a little soft spot for Sita, but is there a reason he's not a) getting game time and b) not being conditioned to do longer minutes or is he just plain not good enough.

He's got the frame of a prop and with a cardio based off season could he become more than the "10 minute prop" Karl has alluded to.
Richard Henare..............Nuff Said
PreviousNext