moving on... User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 206
Rep Position: 91st / 77,685

Quiz Score: 0

Alffi_7 wrote:
Yet only 3 tries in his past 11 games.

We need to be using him more. I think the temptation is to focus plays through Clark and Austin, but its leaving us pretty one dimensional. I'm hoping this is strategic and we'll develop a more open style towards the back end of the year, we wont win finals if we don't have threats all over the field.

If we can score tries up the middle / around the sticks and it means Charnley scoring less then so be it. A winger is more than an out and out speedster these days (although it certainly helps and makes them better if they are), He's contributing well off and on the ball and we're sitting second.

Also the games we've lost this year have not been due to lack of tries down the wings. He's in a bit of a drought but that just shows that we're not having to go wide as much against teams.
Its ALWAYS our year

Est.1876

Sent to me from heaven... You are my world.

1876 - 2019

BUM BANGERS SINCE 2012
Re: Josh Charnley
Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm
Posted by Alffi_7 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 218
Rep Position: 84th / 77,685

moving on... wrote:
If we can score tries up the middle / around the sticks and it means Charnley scoring less then so be it. A winger is more than an out and out speedster these days (although it certainly helps and makes them better if they are), He's contributing well off and on the ball and we're sitting second.

Also the games we've lost this year have not been due to lack of tries down the wings. He's in a bit of a drought but that just shows that we're not having to go wide as much against teams.

The issue comes when attacking through the middle is not working - what happens next?

Our last loss vs Saints was due to not capitalising on being on the front foot for much of the first 50 mins or so, having greater attacking threat not only gives us more options, but increases the threat Austin poses.

We lost the Grand Final vs Wigan due to not creating or taking enough opportunities. Again we need more options, Charnley for me is currently underutilised and a good threat for us if we can give him good ball (as is Lineham).
Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:49 pm
Posted by Uncle Rico on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:49 pm
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 332
Rep Position: 44th / 77,685

Alffi_7 wrote:
The issue comes when attacking through the middle is not working - what happens next?

Our last loss vs Saints was due to not capitalising on being on the front foot for much of the first 50 mins or so, having greater attacking threat not only gives us more options, but increases the threat Austin poses.

We lost the Grand Final vs Wigan due to not creating or taking enough opportunities. Again we need more options, Charnley for me is currently underutilised and a good threat for us if we can give him good ball (as is Lineham).

I agree that Charnley at present isn't getting his fair share of (attacking) ball. We are over doing the middle and if it goes wide we seem to be favouring the left (maybe it's just my perception)

Regarding the style and direction of play, are we missing Ratchford, or is it a Price edict with Austin and Clarke to the fore that would have happened anyway? He was very effective mixing it across the back to create space and we are a more attractive proposition with him running that helped out wide
Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:40 pm
Posted by CW8 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:40 pm
CW8 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 179
Rep Position: 104th / 77,685

moving on... wrote:
He's Joint 3rd in the try scoring charts? :?

I know but he could have been running away with it after his early season try scoring rate. We've gone narrow. Let's just say my usual prediction of Charney first and last try scorer has been shelved for the time being.

Maybe the middle approach will bring us the elusive title? Who knows? we have tried being the flamboyant side throwing it around hut that's not got us anywhere so far, having a said that the last 2 appearances against Wigan were Conservative affairs.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:02 pm
Posted by sir adrian morley on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:02 pm
sir adrian morley User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 214
Rep Position: 87th / 77,685

Break the bank and get that O'Connor guy from hull..top notch centre who will pass to his winger..sling king in 2nd row
Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:24 pm
Posted by Alffi_7 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:24 pm
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 218
Rep Position: 84th / 77,685

Uncle Rico wrote:
I agree that Charnley at present isn't getting his fair share of (attacking) ball. We are over doing the middle and if it goes wide we seem to be favouring the left (maybe it's just my perception)

Regarding the style and direction of play, are we missing Ratchford, or is it a Price edict with Austin and Clarke to the fore that would have happened anyway? He was very effective mixing it across the back to create space and we are a more attractive proposition with him running that helped out wide

A bit of it is Ratchford certainly. But even back when he was fit, we weren’t spreading the ball well.

I can’t believe this is all we are going to bring to the party, I think we are holding stuff back. Price isn’t a lazy coach, far from it. I can’t believe all he is working on is a ‘give the ball to Austin’ or a ‘Clark dummy half run’ as his attacking strategy. The Hull game onwards in when we need to be on it.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 pm
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 pm
Psychedelic Casual User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 362
Rep Position: 37th / 77,685

No Ratchford = fewer winger tries
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 am
Posted by Captain Hook on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 am
Captain Hook Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 416
Rep Position: 28th / 77,685

Psychedelic Casual wrote:
No Ratchford = fewer winger tries

Yep, this is my opinion too.
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:46 am
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:46 am
Psychedelic Casual User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 362
Rep Position: 37th / 77,685

I think Ratchford has a lot of Centre attributes (he did start out at Centre for Salford), and really suits that role of coming into the attacking structure from Full Back, either as a bridge between Second Row and Centre or Centre and Wing, to create an extra man out wide.

We have missed him.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 am
Posted by ninearches on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 am
ninearches Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 183
Rep Position: 102nd / 77,685

Quiz Score: 304

But on the other hand Ratchford isn't famed for passing the ball. As for the wingers ,perhaps another approach would be to give the wingers a kicking game towards the post occasionally just to mix up our attacking options.
PreviousNext