RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 2022 and Joined up thinking
2022 and Joined up thinking Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:44 pm  

User avatarorangeman wrote:
orangeman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 pm
Posts: 722
Member for 1 year
Not that I'm a travel agency expert, but you'd hope that the powers that be think outside the box and schedule each of the 10 UK sides fixtures with fans in mind. A /Saturday/ Sunday game v Catalan followed by a Friday night game v Toulouse would see plenty of fans consider a week away.....if they're really clever, SL/The RFL could corner the market on package tours.
Might also persuade an airline to get on board as a sponsor???
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:41 pm  

User avatarSteve0 wrote:
Steve0 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:33 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Leeds
Member for 19 years
Hopefully a TV deal with French TV can get sorted too, if Catalan and Toulouse can play home games every other week we'd have at least three games of super league on TV every week. (Maybe 4 if the free to air rights for the 10 or so games get sorted)?
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:44 pm  

User avatarorangeman wrote:
orangeman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 pm
Posts: 722
Member for 1 year
Steve0 wrote:
Hopefully a TV deal with French TV can get sorted too, if Catalan and Toulouse can play home games every other week we'd have at least three games of super league on TV every week. (Maybe 4 if the free to air rights for the 10 or so games get sorted)?

you'd really hope so......
Massive is an understatement when describing how important 2022 in for the game in the Northern Hemisphere.....potentially a fantastic year with 5+ games on TV each week.....
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:58 am  
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm
Posts: 4060
Member for 11 years
This i was thinking this, but RFL and Super League aren’t known the effective planning. A week in France to play both teams with some wine touring in between, it will be like the film “Sideways” in real life
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:00 pm  

User avatarPumpetypump wrote:
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:55 pm
Posts: 7724
Location: LS9
Member for 20 years

I agree there seems a myriad of opportunities to maximise this gift (well I think it is) of having two French teams in the top flight. Unfortunately when you have a Chief Exec who's natural level is lottery manager at a Championship 1 club, you do worry.

When asked why he'd personally intervened to stop a multi-million Euro TV deal with Canal plus, Rimmer replied "Well they'd be crying anyway tha' knows".
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:24 pm  

User avatarorangeman wrote:
orangeman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 pm
Posts: 722
Member for 1 year
rollin thunder wrote:
This i was thinking this, but RFL and Super League aren’t known the effective planning. A week in France to play both teams with some wine touring in between, it will be like the film “Sideways” in real life

4 PEOPLE, 2 WEEKS, 1 CAMPER.
A quick search found RV total rental price €1,435, flights about €200 each return, petrol etc....call it €3,000 for 4 people for 2 weeks in France...£650 each or just .£50 a day each....if your club was to market that to it's core supporters, I reckon you'd get plenty of takers........

as I say...Joined up thinking required, but If i can search from 12,000 kms away, surely rimmer can see the benefit?
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:10 pm  

User avatarBulls4 wrote:
Bulls4 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:23 pm
Posts: 684
Location: 7th
Member for 10 years
Yes I can see the benefit and it’s a good idea. So with that I’m 90% sure it won’t happen.

Anyone know what the weather and wine is usually like there for the team that gets an away trip in January / February….
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:12 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 16471
Member for 11 years
orangeman wrote:
4 PEOPLE, 2 WEEKS, 1 CAMPER.
A quick search found RV total rental price €1,435, flights about €200 each return, petrol etc....call it €3,000 for 4 people for 2 weeks in France...£650 each or just .£50 a day each....if your club was to market that to it's core supporters, I reckon you'd get plenty of takers........

as I say...Joined up thinking required, but If i can search from 12,000 kms away, surely rimmer can see the benefit?


Would be great for the fans but, clubs are unlikely to want to have their players in France all week and wouldn't want to go over there 2 weeks on the bounce.
What may work is if they played the 2 French games, say Friday and Monday, which would give fans chance to visit both places, even if their own side was only playing in one of the games ?
Equally, I know that places like Castleford and Wigan may not be the greatest places to spend the night bur, there could be some opportunities in the opposite direction. There are some great places to visit "up North".
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:34 pm  

User avatarorangeman wrote:
orangeman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 pm
Posts: 722
Member for 1 year
wrencat1873 wrote:
There are some great places to visit "up North".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:35 am  
afootingmiracle21-12 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 pm
Posts: 123
Member for 1 year
wrencat1873 wrote:
orangeman wrote:
4 PEOPLE, 2 WEEKS, 1 CAMPER.
A quick search found RV total rental price €1,435, flights about €200 each return, petrol etc....call it €3,000 for 4 people for 2 weeks in France...£650 each or just .£50 a day each....if your club was to market that to it's core supporters, I reckon you'd get plenty of takers........

as I say...Joined up thinking required, but If i can search from 12,000 kms away, surely rimmer can see the benefit?


Would be great for the fans but, clubs are unlikely to want to have their players in France all week and wouldn't want to go over there 2 weeks on the bounce.
What may work is if they played the 2 French games, say Friday and Monday, which would give fans chance to visit both places, even if their own side was only playing in one of the games ?
Equally, I know that places like Castleford and Wigan may not be the greatest places to spend the night bur, there could be some opportunities in the opposite direction. There are some great places to visit "up North".


Its not two weeks though is it?...play Catalans on Saturday, Toulouse on Thursday or Friday or vice versa. Makes much more sense to me.
You say teams wouldn't want their players there, but what they going to do back home other than train. Some warmer weather training will have benefits and also help them prepare for the 2nd game....plus its a 5/6 day opportunity for team building and developing team / tour spirit which you usually only get pre-season.

Its a great opportunity all clubs should jump at imo. .....the only challenge i see is small minded chairmen who will only see the cost of 5/6 days in hotels, rather than opportunity and benefit this brings. Yet, if they stopped looking at this negatively, even they would see that we can probably bring a tour operator as sponsor (to do all the fans packages) who would be only too happy to cover these costs for the deal.....Now thats a trade off sponsor with ACTUAL value...much better than free livery on lorrys and free pizzas :roll: ....Toronto achieved it with Air Canada....they could go and talk to them for some tips if they hadn't been equally small minded to kick them out.

Its no wonder the game has never reached its potential with the level of small minded ambition we have from not only fans, but those who are running the game!
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CM Punk, Jack Burton, King Street Cat, LyndsayGill and 142 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD
19.25Million 1,454 ↓-178,8359,567
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre

TABLES:
Sat 29th Jan 15:00
 CH
Leigh
v
Whitehaven
Sun 30th Jan 14:00
 CH
Workington
v
Newcastle
Sun 30th Jan 15:00
 CH
LondonB
v
Widnes
Sun 30th Jan 15:00
 CH
Barrow
v
Sheffield
Sun 30th Jan 15:00
 CH
Dewsbury
v
Bradford
Sun 30th Jan 15:00
 CH
Batley
v
Halifax
Mon 31st Jan 19:45
 CH
York
v
Featherstone
Sat 5th Feb 15:00
 CH
Newcastle
v
Batley
Sun 6th Feb 15:00
 CH
Bradford
v
Sheffield
Sun 6th Feb 15:00
 CH
Halifax
v
LondonB
Sun 6th Feb 15:00
 CH
Whitehaven
v
Barrow
Sun 6th Feb 15:00
 CH
York
v
Dewsbury
Mon 7th Feb 19:45
 CH
Featherstone
v
Leigh
Thu 10th Feb 20:00
SL
St.Helens
v
Catalans
Fri 11th Feb 20:00
SL
Castleford
v
Salford
There are currently no matches to display.
Matches on TV
Mon 31st Jan
CH RND: 1 York-Featherstone
Mon 7th Feb
CH RND: 2 Featherstone-Leigh
Thu 10th Feb
SL RND: 1 St.Helens-Catalans
Fri 11th Feb
SL RND: 1 Hull KR-Wigan
Sat 12th Feb
SL RND: 1 Leeds-Warrington
SL RND: 1 Toulouse-Huddersfield
Thu 17th Feb
SL RND: 2 Warrington-Castleford
Fri 18th Feb
SL RND: 2 Wigan-Leeds
Sat 19th Feb
SL RND: 2 Hull FC-St.Helens
Thu 24th Feb
SL RND: 3 Leeds-Catalans
Fri 25th Feb
SL RND: 3 Hull KR-Salford
Thu 3rd Mar
SL RND: 4 Wakefield-Leeds
Fri 4th Mar
SL RND: 4 Warrington-Catalans
Thu 10th Mar
SL RND: 5 Leeds-Hull FC
Fri 11th Mar
SL RND: 5 St.Helens-Warrington
Sat 12th Mar
SL RND: 5 Huddersfield-Castleford
Thu 17th Mar
SL RND: 6 Wigan-Castleford
Fri 18th Mar
SL RND: 6 Salford-Leeds
Sat 19th Mar
SL RND: 6 Warrington-Wakefield
Thu 31st Mar
SL RND: 7 Wigan-Hull FC
Betfred Championship 2022 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Betfred League One 2022 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Betfred Super League XXVII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
RLFANS Recent Posts


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!









X
::::::::