Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 2022 and Joined up thinking
2022 and Joined up thinking Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:44 pm  

User avatarorangeman wrote:
orangeman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 1 year
Not that I'm a travel agency expert, but you'd hope that the powers that be think outside the box and schedule each of the 10 UK sides fixtures with fans in mind. A /Saturday/ Sunday game v Catalan followed by a Friday night game v Toulouse would see plenty of fans consider a week away.....if they're really clever, SL/The RFL could corner the market on package tours.
Might also persuade an airline to get on board as a sponsor???
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:41 pm  

User avatarSteve0 wrote:
Steve0 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 19 years
Hopefully a TV deal with French TV can get sorted too, if Catalan and Toulouse can play home games every other week we'd have at least three games of super league on TV every week. (Maybe 4 if the free to air rights for the 10 or so games get sorted)?
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:44 pm  

orangeman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 1 year
Steve0 wrote:
Hopefully a TV deal with French TV can get sorted too, if Catalan and Toulouse can play home games every other week we'd have at least three games of super league on TV every week. (Maybe 4 if the free to air rights for the 10 or so games get sorted)?

you'd really hope so......
Massive is an understatement when describing how important 2022 in for the game in the Northern Hemisphere.....potentially a fantastic year with 5+ games on TV each week.....
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:58 am  
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 11 years
This i was thinking this, but RFL and Super League aren’t known the effective planning. A week in France to play both teams with some wine touring in between, it will be like the film “Sideways” in real life
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:00 pm  

User avatarPumpetypump wrote:
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Member for 20 years

I agree there seems a myriad of opportunities to maximise this gift (well I think it is) of having two French teams in the top flight. Unfortunately when you have a Chief Exec who's natural level is lottery manager at a Championship 1 club, you do worry.

When asked why he'd personally intervened to stop a multi-million Euro TV deal with Canal plus, Rimmer replied "Well they'd be crying anyway tha' knows".
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:24 pm  

orangeman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 1 year
rollin thunder wrote:
This i was thinking this, but RFL and Super League aren’t known the effective planning. A week in France to play both teams with some wine touring in between, it will be like the film “Sideways” in real life

4 PEOPLE, 2 WEEKS, 1 CAMPER.
A quick search found RV total rental price €1,435, flights about €200 each return, petrol etc....call it €3,000 for 4 people for 2 weeks in France...£650 each or just .£50 a day each....if your club was to market that to it's core supporters, I reckon you'd get plenty of takers........

as I say...Joined up thinking required, but If i can search from 12,000 kms away, surely rimmer can see the benefit?
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:10 pm  

User avatarBulls4 wrote:
Bulls4 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 10 years
Yes I can see the benefit and it’s a good idea. So with that I’m 90% sure it won’t happen.

Anyone know what the weather and wine is usually like there for the team that gets an away trip in January / February….
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:12 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 11 years
orangeman wrote:
A quick search found RV total rental price €1,435, flights about €200 each return, petrol etc....call it €3,000 for 4 people for 2 weeks in France...£650 each or just .£50 a day each....if your club was to market that to it's core supporters, I reckon you'd get plenty of takers........

as I say...Joined up thinking required, but If i can search from 12,000 kms away, surely rimmer can see the benefit?

Would be great for the fans but, clubs are unlikely to want to have their players in France all week and wouldn't want to go over there 2 weeks on the bounce.
What may work is if they played the 2 French games, say Friday and Monday, which would give fans chance to visit both places, even if their own side was only playing in one of the games ?
Equally, I know that places like Castleford and Wigan may not be the greatest places to spend the night bur, there could be some opportunities in the opposite direction. There are some great places to visit "up North".
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:34 pm  

orangeman User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 1 year
wrencat1873 wrote:
There are some great places to visit "up North".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Re: 2022 and Joined up thinking Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:35 am  
afootingmiracle21-12 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Member for 1 year
wrencat1873 wrote:
orangeman wrote:

Would be great for the fans but, clubs are unlikely to want to have their players in France all week and wouldn't want to go over there 2 weeks on the bounce.
What may work is if they played the 2 French games, say Friday and Monday, which would give fans chance to visit both places, even if their own side was only playing in one of the games ?
Equally, I know that places like Castleford and Wigan may not be the greatest places to spend the night bur, there could be some opportunities in the opposite direction. There are some great places to visit "up North".

Its not two weeks though is it?...play Catalans on Saturday, Toulouse on Thursday or Friday or vice versa. Makes much more sense to me.
You say teams wouldn't want their players there, but what they going to do back home other than train. Some warmer weather training will have benefits and also help them prepare for the 2nd game....plus its a 5/6 day opportunity for team building and developing team / tour spirit which you usually only get pre-season.

Its a great opportunity all clubs should jump at imo. .....the only challenge i see is small minded chairmen who will only see the cost of 5/6 days in hotels, rather than opportunity and benefit this brings. Yet, if they stopped looking at this negatively, even they would see that we can probably bring a tour operator as sponsor (to do all the fans packages) who would be only too happy to cover these costs for the deal.....Now thats a trade off sponsor with ACTUAL value...much better than free livery on lorrys and free pizzas :roll: ....Toronto achieved it with Air Canada....they could go and talk to them for some tips if they hadn't been equally small minded to kick them out.

Its no wonder the game has never reached its potential with the level of small minded ambition we have from not only fans, but those who are running the game!
Next