RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - French Revolution ?
French Revolution ? Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:59 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 16051
Despite there only being one French club in SL and one in the Championship, The French are taking over.
Catalan, despite the extra travel are riding high at the top of SL and Toulouse remain unbeaten during their Championship campaign.
Hull KR came up with the shock of the season last night, turning over Wigan on their own patch and it's to be hoped that there is a plan on how to fill Old Trafford, if Catalan make the Grand Final.
I do hope that the powers that be have thought about it, after all, there was a gentle warning when Catalan made the Cup Final a few years ago.
Re: French Revolution ? Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:38 am  

supercat wrote:
supercat Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm
Posts: 2159
Not sure they will be top two come end of the season. My concern is the amount of French players (more so I the Catalan team) they seem to be relying more on English and imports. For me now we have left the EU we should now enforce that if English Superleague teams sign French players they are counted as quota players and if the French sign English players they also count. Catalan were brought to Superleague to strengthen their National team.
Re: French Revolution ? Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:38 am  

User avatarBigRoy wrote:
BigRoy User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:59 pm
Posts: 15
Location: the Land of Bullsh!t
yes in theory, but perhaps too soon, having a couple of french teams at the top of their respective leagues, or even two french teams in superleague must provide some decent stimulus at grass roots level in the south of france... it will be many seasons ns until those players are knocking on the door, thats the time.
Re: French Revolution ? Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:17 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2209
wrencat1873 wrote:


it's to be hoped that there is a plan on how to fill Old Trafford, if Catalan make the Grand Final.



Good point. Just imagine if in a couple of years Les Catalans meet Toulouse in the Challenge cup final, and meet again for the Old Trafford Superleague final....

But France still don't meet Great Britain at International level?? What a backfire that would be!!!

Good old Richard Lewis :lol: :lol: :lol: and good old Wrenners as you back this nonsense..... :wink:
Re: French Revolution ? Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:23 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2209
BigRoy wrote:
yes in theory, but perhaps too soon, having a couple of french teams at the top of their respective leagues, or even two french teams in superleague must provide some decent stimulus at grass roots level in the south of france... it will be many seasons ns until those players are knocking on the door, thats the time.


Not sure Roy? We have big professional RL clubs across the M62 but grass roots playing numbers are falling, why should French kids be "stimulated" to play RL.

In France it's Rugby Unions that is a monster game, and French Soccer is also very big indeed.

Two French clubs in SL push out two English clubs
Re: French Revolution ? Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:02 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 16051
supercat wrote:
Not sure they will be top two come end of the season. My concern is the amount of French players (more so I the Catalan team) they seem to be relying more on English and imports. For me now we have left the EU we should now enforce that if English Superleague teams sign French players they are counted as quota players and if the French sign English players they also count. Catalan were brought to Superleague to strengthen their National team.


I dont think we should be going that far but, an agreed minimum of French players in their respective squads (if that can be a rule) would be a very good idea.
The ideal would be for SL to be strong enough to have 14 clubs, including Toulouse & Catalan.
Whether that's even a possibility, who the hell knows
Re: French Revolution ? Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:08 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 16051
Donnyman wrote:
Good point. Just imagine if in a couple of years Les Catalans meet Toulouse in the Challenge cup final, and meet again for the Old Trafford Superleague final....

But France still don't meet Great Britain at International level?? What a backfire that would be!!!

Good old Richard Lewis :lol: :lol: :lol: and good old Wrenners as you back this nonsense..... :wink:


Nice bit of spin Donny, you have a bright future in politics, I think.

Encouraging the only other genuine RL playing "nation" on this side of the planet, seems pretty sensible if we EVER want RL to prosper on the international stage and there is absolutely no doubt that the sport needs to spark more interest and more investment.

The obvious question regarding France is, are they more ore less likely to compete with 2 full time SL squads to chose from or with one.
Those in charge of the sport still seem to want the game to be stronger in France, which in the grand scheme of things, it seems the right way forward.

Just to be clear, I'm still advocating Toulouse as an additional club in SL and not to replace any of the existing clubs.

If RL wasn't so much on the fringes, we should also have London in the top flight in a 14 club top flight.
Re: French Revolution ? Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:19 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2209
wrencat1873 wrote:

Encouraging the only other genuine RL playing "nation" on this side of the planet, seems pretty sensible if we EVER want RL to prosper on the international stage and there is absolutely no doubt that the sport needs to spark more interest and more investment.

The obvious question regarding France is, are they more ore less likely to compete with 2 full time SL squads to chose from or with one.
Those in charge of the sport still seem to want the game to be stronger in France, which in the grand scheme of things, it seems the right way forward.



Where have you been since 2007 when France got thumped by bigger and bigger scores every year and they eventually abandoned the GB/France tests?

You can keep up trying to say I'm bias or just spinning things, but France failed long ago.....

The real "obvious question" is how does the English game improve if you keep replacing English SL clubs with French ones.

You and all the others who think France is an answer to the games ill's consistently ignore the reality that if you put Toulouse in Superleague you have to then removes an English club like say Wakefield.

It was always the same with TWP, and Ottawa etc.

The blinkered view was and remains the more overseas clubs you put in SL the more the game may thrive internationally and spread.

Completely ignoring the reality this would kill the game as the SKY deal would be lost. Think about it for once
Re: French Revolution ? Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 16051
Donnyman wrote:
Where have you been since 2007 when France got thumped by bigger and bigger scores every year and they eventually abandoned the GB/France tests?

You can keep up trying to say I'm bias or just spinning things, but France failed long ago.....

The real "obvious question" is how does the English game improve if you keep replacing English SL clubs with French ones.

You and all the others who think France is an answer to the games ill's consistently ignore the reality that if you put Toulouse in Superleague you have to then removes an English club like say Wakefield.

It was always the same with TWP, and Ottawa etc.

The blinkered view was and remains the more overseas clubs you put in SL the more the game may thrive internationally and spread.

Completely ignoring the reality this would kill the game as the SKY deal would be lost. Think about it for once


You didn't read the post (or chose to ignore it).
There should be NO replacing English clubs with French clubs in SL.
However, having Toulouse and London in the top flight, in ADDITION to the current 12 clubs would be sensible from a RL point of view.

As for the Sky deal, i'm not privy to their ideas.

We have to find a way to encourage more interest and investment, end of.

Will this happen by retracting to the M62 corridor or by trying to appeal to a wider public, including those in South West France, where there is already some interest in the sport, the answer seems obvious.
Re: French Revolution ? Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:09 pm  

User avatarWillzay wrote:
Willzay User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 10811
I wasn’t aware that Langi, Whare, Davies, Maloney, Drinkwater, Dudson, McIllorum, Whitely, McMeeken, the Tomkins brothers and Kasiano all became French.
Profit over Lives - The Tory way
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BRIXTON, FlexWheeler, Kevs Head, Leyland Warrior, Marvin Goolash, TimmySmith and 145 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,183,5701,41778,6709,567LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
 Full Time.
(Hover Score)
 
NRL
St.George
10-32
Gold Coast
 Full Time.
(Hover Score)
 
NRL
Canterbury
24-44
Cronulla
O
F
F
 
TODAY : 12:00
WSL
WiganW
v
WakefieldW
Postponed
O
F
F
 
TODAY : 12:00
WSL
YorkW
v
Hudds W
Postponed
TODAY 12:30
 CH
Sheffield
v
Halifax
TODAY 15:00
 CH
Batley
v
Newcastle
TODAY 15:00
 CH
Bradford
v
Featherstone
O
F
F
 
TODAY : 15:00
 CH
LondonB
v
Widnes
Postponed
TODAY 15:00
 CH
Whitehaven
v
Oldham
TODAY 15:00
 CH
York
v
Swinton
TODAY 15:00
 L1
Barrow
v
Coventry
O
F
F
 
TODAY : 15:00
 L1
Doncaster
v
Crusaders
Postponed
TODAY 15:00
 L1
Hunslet
v
Keighley
O
F
F
 
TODAY : 15:00
 L1
Rochdale
v
Workington
Postponed
O
F
F
 
TODAY : 15:30
WSL
CastlefordW
v
BradfordW
Postponed
O
F
F
 
TODAY : 15:30
WSL
FeatherstoneW
v
Wire W
Postponed
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Sun 25th Jul
NRL
LIVE
St.George10-32Gold Coast
NRL
LIVE
Canterbury24-44Cronulla
Sat 24th Jul
NRL RND: 19 Souths60-22NZ Warriors
NRL RND: 19 Manly44-24Wests
NRL RND: 19 Penrith18-12Brisbane
L1 RND: 12 LondonS46-30West Wales
SL RND: 13 Catalans32-30Hull KR
Fri 23rd Jul
NRL RND: 19 Sydney28-8Newcastle
NRL RND: 19 NQL Cowboys16-20Melbourne
SL RND: 15 Leeds38-16Salford
SL RND: 15 Wigan25-12Wakefield
Thu 22nd Jul
NRL RND: 19 Parramatta10-12Canberra
SL RND: 15 Huddersfield40-26Hull FC
Mon 19th Jul
WSL RND: 11 WiganW4-12YorkW
Sun 18th Jul
NRL RND: 18 NZ Warriors16-30Penrith
NRL RND: 18 Brisbane24-42Wests
NRL RND: 18 Souths32-24Canterbury
WSL RND: 9 BradfordW42-12FeatherstoneW
WSL RND: 9 LeedsW24-0Hudds W
WSL RND: 9 St.HelensW24-0WakefieldW
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 18
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 17 632 198 434 30
Penrith 17 493 179 314 30
Souths 17 503 346 157 28
Parramatta 17 474 255 219 26
Sydney 17 453 335 118 22
Manly 17 485 354 131 20
St.George 17 358 382 -24 16
Cronulla 17 326 394 -68 14
 
Canberra 17 347 421 -74 14
Newcastle 17 283 420 -137 14
Gold Coast 17 394 468 -74 12
Wests 17 372 502 -130 12
NQL Cowboys 17 324 527 -203 12
NZ Warriors 17 333 426 -93 10
Brisbane 17 282 542 -260 8
Canterbury 17 212 522 -310 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 15
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 14 419 226 193 26 185.40 92.86
St.Helens 12 286 96 190 20 297.92 83.33
Warrington 13 408 213 195 19 191.55 73.08
Wigan 15 247 268 -21 20 92.16 66.67
Hull FC 12 286 215 71 15 133.02 62.50
Hull KR 11 271 244 27 12 111.07 54.55
 
Leeds 14 332 251 81 14 132.27 50
Castleford 14 251 354 -103 12 70.90 42.86
Salford 14 237 405 -168 8 58.52 28.57
Huddersfield 15 244 318 -74 8 76.73 26.67
Wakefield 15 259 354 -95 8 73.16 26.67
Leigh 13 212 508 -296 0 41.73 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 13
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 9 433 88 345 18 492.05 100
Featherstone 12 537 136 401 24 394.85 100
Bradford 12 324 279 45 18 116.13 75
Halifax 13 358 171 187 18 209.36 69.23
LondonB 13 374 337 37 17 110.98 65.38
Batley 13 328 274 54 16 119.71 61.54
 
Newcastle 12 272 358 -86 11 75.98 45.83
Widnes 13 307 344 -37 11 89.24 42.31
Sheffield 13 285 373 -88 11 76.41 42.31
Whitehaven 13 249 372 -123 9 66.94 34.62
Dewsbury 13 197 379 -182 9 51.98 34.62
York 13 299 317 -18 8 94.32 30.77
Oldham 12 166 442 -276 4 37.56 16.67
Swinton 13 224 483 -259 0 46.38 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 10 342 150 192 17 228 85
Workington 9 334 158 176 15 211.39 83.33
Doncaster 9 308 189 119 14 162.96 77.78
Keighley 10 348 239 109 10 145.61 50
Rochdale 10 279 280 -1 10 99.64 50
Crusaders 10 278 318 -40 10 87.42 50
 
Coventry 8 204 240 -36 8 85 50
Hunslet 10 268 257 11 8 104.28 40
LondonS 8 154 292 -138 2 52.74 12.50
West Wales 10 122 514 -392 0 23.74 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
 
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X