RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Tom Johnstone
Tom Johnstone Thu May 13, 2021 12:17 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2111
Great young player, but the head knocks thing very sadly seems to be taking him in the same direction as Stevie Ward
Re: Tom Johnstone Thu May 13, 2021 3:12 pm  

User avatarWillzay wrote:
Willzay User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 10691
Maybe if the RFL and the referees took contact to the head a bit more seriously....
Profit over Lives - The Tory way
Re: Tom Johnstone Thu May 13, 2021 6:53 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2835
Location: Watching Rugby League
Willzay wrote:
Maybe if the RFL and the referees took contact to the head a bit more seriously....


You're right, but it's a tough one to police in a contact sport unless we go the RU way and ban anything above the chest which I wouldn't like to see if I'm honest.

Plenty of high tackles start at the chest and end up making contact with the head accidentally. And in some cases, contact is only with the head because the player drops into the tackle.

Personally, I do think that direct and deliberate contact with the head (swinging arm or shoulder charge) should be a straight red and at least a 3 match ban but there are plenty of 50/50 calls out there where a red card would wrongly ruin games as a spectacle.
Re: Tom Johnstone Thu May 13, 2021 8:21 pm  

User avataratomic wrote:
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:07 pm
Posts: 6433
Egg Chasing wrote:
You're right, but it's a tough one to police in a contact sport unless we go the RU way and ban anything above the chest which I wouldn't like to see if I'm honest.

Plenty of high tackles start at the chest and end up making contact with the head accidentally. And in some cases, contact is only with the head because the player drops into the tackle.

Personally, I do think that direct and deliberate contact with the head (swinging arm or shoulder charge) should be a straight red and at least a 3 match ban but there are plenty of 50/50 calls out there where a red card would wrongly ruin games as a spectacle.


The thing is how do you judge a high tackle? Is the arm bent, straight or above shoulder height? If it’s straight as has been called you walk. These days anything around the head is pinged.
Image
Re: Tom Johnstone Thu May 13, 2021 8:26 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2835
Location: Watching Rugby League
atomic wrote:
The thing is how do you judge a high tackle? Is the arm bent, straight or above shoulder height? If it’s straight as has been called you walk. These days anything around the head is pinged.


Kind of my point yeah. How do you judge it? Is it first contact, any contact, type of contact?

Really don't want to see us go down the RU route.
Re: Tom Johnstone Fri May 14, 2021 10:43 am  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Posts: 21056
Egg Chasing wrote:
Kind of my point yeah. How do you judge it? Is it first contact, any contact, type of contact?

Really don't want to see us go down the RU route.

come on its so simple to judge anything above the shoulders a direct red card depending on whether the player was clothes lined or swinging arm, anything above the shoulders from second contact ie arm riding up from trying to wrap a player up from in front or behind sin bin,

I don't know about you but I was taught to tackle around the waist upwards mainly being a Centre/winger from in front and behind making sure I got my head in the right position, tackling has got lazy of late and far more now use the head when in the tackle or using the hand across the face
Re: Tom Johnstone Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 am  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2835
Location: Watching Rugby League
We'd be playing 7 a side
Re: Tom Johnstone Fri May 14, 2021 11:38 am  

User avatarWillzay wrote:
Willzay User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 10691
Well if it helps to prolong the career and health of players so be it.
Profit over Lives - The Tory way
Re: Tom Johnstone Sat May 15, 2021 6:08 am  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Posts: 21056
Egg Chasing wrote:
We'd be playing 7 a side
no we wouldn't players would learn to keep away from head high contact
Re: Tom Johnstone Sat May 15, 2021 6:54 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2111
snowie wrote:
no we wouldn't players would learn to keep away from head high contact


Always a sensible reply. They need to learn or we may not have a game in the future.

If they learn we may even have a better game...................
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,167,00062778,6216,308LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
TODAY 05:00
NRL
NZ Warriors
v
Melbourne
TODAY 07:05
NRL
Parramatta
v
Wests
TODAY 11:30
 CH
Halifax
v
York
TODAY 14:30
 L1
Crusaders
v
Doncaster
TODAY 15:00
 CH
Dewsbury
v
Toulouse
TODAY 15:00
 CH
Swinton
v
Newcastle
TODAY 15:00
 CH
Whitehaven
v
Batley
TODAY 15:00
 CH
Widnes
v
LondonB
TODAY 15:00
 L1
Coventry
v
Workington
TODAY 15:00
 L1
Keighley
v
West Wales
TODAY 16:30
 CH
Featherstone
v
Bradford
TOMORROW 07:00
NRL
Canterbury
v
St.George
Wed 16th Jun 19:45
SL
Wakefield
v
Castleford
Thu 17th Jun 19:45
SL
St.Helens
v
Warrington
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Sat 12th Jun
SL
LIVE
Leigh30-36Catalans
NRL RND: 14 Gold Coast34-35Sydney
NRL RND: 14 Souths24-10Newcastle
NRL RND: 14 Canberra38-16Brisbane
CH
LIVE
Oldham28-32Sheffield
L1
LIVE
Barrow40-4Rochdale
L1
LIVE
LondonS10-62Hunslet
Fri 11th Jun
SL
LIVE
Hull KR40-4Salford
SL
LIVE
Warrington38-18Wakefield
NRL RND: 14 Manly50-18NQL Cowboys
NRL RND: 14 Cronulla19-18Penrith
Thu 10th Jun
SL RND: 9 Castleford12-30Hull FC
Wed 9th Jun
SOO RND: 1 Queensland6-50New South Wales
Sun 6th Jun
CH RND: 6 Bradford31-12Newcastle
CH RND: 6 Halifax46-12Sheffield
SL RND: 13 Wakefield30-20Leigh
NRL RND: 13 Newcastle4-40Parramatta
L1 RND: 5 Workington34-20Keighley
L1 RND: 5 Crusaders36-12Coventry
L1 RND: 5 Doncaster46-12LondonS
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 14
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Penrith 14 418 133 285 24
Melbourne 13 430 162 268 22
Parramatta 13 360 212 148 20
Souths 13 341 282 59 20
Sydney 13 379 223 156 18
Manly 13 315 282 33 14
 
St.George 13 293 284 9 12
NQL Cowboys 13 264 383 -119 12
NZ Warriors 12 265 305 -40 10
Cronulla 13 244 298 -54 10
Wests 13 280 334 -54 10
Gold Coast 14 318 380 -62 10
Canberra 13 257 321 -64 10
Newcastle 14 231 366 -135 10
Brisbane 14 232 436 -204 6
Canterbury 12 134 360 -226 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 9 268 142 126 16 188.73 88.89
St.Helens 8 206 70 136 14 294.29 87.50
Wigan 8 158 136 22 14 116.18 87.50
Warrington 9 302 157 145 13 192.36 72.22
Hull FC 9 179 143 36 11 125.17 61.11
Hull KR 9 223 204 19 10 109.31 55.56
 
Castleford 9 185 232 -47 8 79.74 44.44
Leeds 8 150 136 14 6 110.29 37.50
Huddersfield 8 150 162 -12 6 92.59 37.50
Wakefield 9 163 231 -68 4 70.56 22.22
Salford 9 106 289 -183 2 36.68 11.11
Leigh 9 134 322 -188 0 41.61 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 6 291 58 233 12 501.72 100
Featherstone 7 262 76 186 14 344.74 100
Bradford 8 228 172 56 14 132.56 87.50
Batley 7 204 140 64 10 145.71 71.43
LondonB 8 202 194 8 9 104.12 56.25
Halifax 8 241 129 112 8 186.82 50
 
York 8 213 150 63 8 142 50
Sheffield 9 211 249 -38 8 84.74 44.44
Widnes 8 204 239 -35 7 85.36 43.75
Dewsbury 7 103 171 -68 6 60.23 42.86
Whitehaven 8 140 254 -114 5 55.12 31.25
Oldham 9 134 330 -196 4 40.61 22.22
Newcastle 7 132 216 -84 3 61.11 21.43
Swinton 8 122 309 -187 0 39.48 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 5 211 62 149 10 340.32 100
Workington 5 180 94 86 8 191.49 80
Doncaster 5 182 126 56 8 144.44 80
Coventry 4 106 114 -8 4 92.98 50
Keighley 5 158 135 23 4 117.04 40
Rochdale 5 157 156 1 4 100.64 40
 
Crusaders 5 122 150 -28 4 81.33 40
Hunslet 5 84 137 -53 4 61.31 40
LondonS 4 104 150 -46 2 69.33 25
West Wales 5 70 250 -180 0 28 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 3 230 6 224 6 3,833.33 100
LeedsW 3 214 22 192 6 972.73 100
WiganW 3 158 18 140 6 877.78 100
CastlefordW 3 104 24 80 6 433.33 100
YorkW 3 76 102 -26 2 74.51 33.33
Hudds W 3 38 178 -140 2 21.35 33.33
 
FeatherstoneW 4 74 164 -90 2 45.12 25
BradfordW 4 60 180 -120 2 33.33 25
Wire W 3 42 146 -104 0 28.77 0
WakefieldW 3 16 172 -156 0 9.30 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X