WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Price
Re: Price Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:20 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2439
Location: Watching Rugby League
shinymcshine wrote:
Your flawed thinking is "The whole reason you play elite level sport is to win trophies" - each season only 2 teams (max) will ever do that - realistically each club sets its own performance targets, which, may/may not include winning a trophy.

You seem unable to comprehend that some supporters enjoy watching their team playing good entertaining rugby for 80 mins, where, so long as there's a level of effort and enthusiasm shown, we can be a bit forgiving of the end result - okay it's better to get a balance of results over the season, but there's no great imperative just to grind out results over 26 weeks - especially if you're playing a dull boring game that's not enjoyable to watch.

Sure, adapt and peak to win a final 1-0 if need be, but sport needs to be engaging to maintain a fan base.

Hence in many sports the best supported team isn't always the most successful team.


So using that mentality....if Wire play entertaining rugby every week with a "you score we score" mentality but end up losing every game and being relegated (unlikely yes) you would be happy with that because they were good to watch?
Re: Price Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:56 pm  

davids wrote:
davids Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:39 am
Posts: 228
Egg Chasing wrote:
So using that mentality....if Wire play entertaining rugby every week with a "you score we score" mentality but end up losing every game and being relegated (unlikely yes) you would be happy with that because they were good to watch?


It doesn't need to be one extreme or the other. Wire have played lots of entertaining rugby, particularly in the Smith era, but it's the Grand Final win that we all crave.

There have been teams in various sports who grind out victories and win trophies the ugly way - Liverpool under Houllier, Chelsea under Mourinho spring to mind in football - but sooner or later those fans also crave what they miss, which is exciting play.

To go back to rugby, Widnes in the late 80s and Wigan in the early 90s won trophies while playing exciting stuff. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
Re: Price Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:59 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15387
davids wrote:
It doesn't need to be one extreme or the other. Wire have played lots of entertaining rugby, particularly in the Smith era, but it's the Grand Final win that we all crave.

There have been teams in various sports who grind out victories and win trophies the ugly way - Liverpool under Houllier, Chelsea under Mourinho spring to mind in football - but sooner or later those fans also crave what they miss, which is exciting play.

To go back to rugby, Widnes in the late 80s and Wigan in the early 90s won trophies while playing exciting stuff. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.


I agree
However, the Wire fan earlier in the thread was suggesting that he'd rather see entertaining rugby and wasn't bothered about losing, suggesting that Wigan were "boring".
As a neutral, I've never rated Wire as "The entertainers" and the whole thing just smacks of jealousy.
As you say, winning trophies AND entertaining would be everyone's preferred option.
Re: Price Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:07 am  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2439
Location: Watching Rugby League
wrencat1873 wrote:
I agree
However, the Wire fan earlier in the thread was suggesting that he'd rather see entertaining rugby and wasn't bothered about losing, suggesting that Wigan were "boring".
As a neutral, I've never rated Wire as "The entertainers" and the whole thing just smacks of jealousy.
As you say, winning trophies AND entertaining would be everyone's preferred option.


Exactly.
Re: Price Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:29 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 1848
shinymcshine wrote:

Your flawed thinking is "The whole reason you play elite level sport is to win trophies" - each season only 2 teams (max) will ever do that - realistically each club sets its own performance targets, which, may/may not include winning a trophy.



Appreciate that but let's be right, if the owner is relatively skint then he will dance a jig if his club avoid relegation........

If the owner is the richest owner in Superleague then runner up is a complete failure for him.

Simon Moran's target is to be top dog........
Re: Price Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:10 am  

davids wrote:
davids Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:39 am
Posts: 228
Wire fans would rather have winning the Grand Final because it's what they lack.

Fans always want what they don't have. That seems to go for fans of teams who have had a spell winning but don't entertain as well.

That was sort of the point I was (badly) making.
Re: Price Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:03 pm  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:14 pm
Posts: 2439
Location: Watching Rugby League
davids wrote:
Wire fans would rather have winning the Grand Final because it's what they lack.

Fans always want what they don't have. That seems to go for fans of teams who have had a spell winning but don't entertain as well.

That was sort of the point I was (badly) making.


Well not according to the wire fan on this thread that says he would rather play ebtertaining rugby than win the GF playing dull rugby
Re: Price Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:33 pm  

User avatarUncle Rico wrote:
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 4646
Location: Stuck in 1982
Egg Chasing wrote:
Well not according to the wire fan on this thread that says he would rather play ebtertaining rugby than win the GF playing dull rugby


Obviously the three or four Wire contributors are speaking for all supporters so yes it is confusing
Re: Price Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:56 pm  

shinymcshine wrote:
shinymcshine Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 1793
I just responded to the OP regarding Wires fans wanting Wane after they'd been critical of his coaching style - to highlight not all Wires fans wanted Wane - and that some of us would rather watch good rugby than sacrifice entertainment for trophies - heck, we've had about the last 3-4 years (under Price & Agar/Smith) that's not been fun to watch at times - I'd rather be entertained than endure the prospect of more boring rugby* under Wane in order to win a GF.

Lets just pull stumps and acknowledge that supporters follow their clubs for different reasons.


*acknowledging that upon occasion Wigan did play some good stuff on their way to their GF wins.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,125,34543678,4694,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X