RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Loop Fixtures
Which of these options best describe your feelings about loop fixtures during the regular season?

Poll runs till Thu May 06, 2021 4:52 pm

I love them
0
No votes
I like them
0
No votes
I neither like nor dislike them
0
No votes
I dislike them
0
No votes
I hate them
0
No votes
I don’t know
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 0

Re: Loop Fixtures Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:31 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 1961
Egg Chasing wrote:
That's for them to decide, but I would set out from the start that it's the trials for the England side similar to rep footy in Oz. Don't play in this and you don't get picked for England.

Players always seem to pull out of a mid-season international but are fit to play for their club in the game before and after. In Australia a handful of them back-up at the weekend. Why can't they do that here?

We need to make sure that the best 34 players are on show to start with. The rivalry between the counties should help to market things.

We then need to stick with it for more than 2 seasons.


Well answered..........
Re: Loop Fixtures Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:18 am  

User avatarUllFC wrote:
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 15511
They need ditching and im not convinced they are the massive money spinner some think they are. A couple of years ago Hull played Wakefield twice in one month at home, with no disrespect to Wakefield that isn't a fixture to attract new fans or get the more casual fans into the ground. It just felt like season ticket holders and diehard away fans only in the ground.

I'd rather see games against Toulouse/London/Bradford etc to at least see some different players and hear some different songs from the away end.
Re: Loop Fixtures Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:39 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15618
UllFC wrote:
They need ditching and im not convinced they are the massive money spinner some think they are. A couple of years ago Hull played Wakefield twice in one month at home, with no disrespect to Wakefield that isn't a fixture to attract new fans or get the more casual fans into the ground. It just felt like season ticket holders and diehard away fans only in the ground.

I'd rather see games against Toulouse/London/Bradford etc to at least see some different players and hear some different songs from the away end.


Bang on.

The bottom line though is that, the current SL clubs dont want to "water down" their share of the sky monies and to the wider public, RL is becoming as much of a "draw" as curling and far from increasing the revenue from the TV deal, it looks like there will be a hefty cut.
Therefore, it's more likely that the bigger clubs will at some point be asking for a reduction in the number of SL clubs.

As you say, the loop fixtures are no great money spinner, other than providing clubs with an additional 2 home games (plus 2 away fixtures).
The revenue from these is certainly needed but, it would be preferable if there were 2 additional clubs in SL and a balanced
fixture list.
Maybe "magic" could be used for the 4th / 5th round of the cup (when the SL clubs join the fray) which may add some interest to the cup. - mind you, they may have to "warm" some of the balls when the draw is made, to ensure a couple of juicy fixtures :IDEA:
Re: Loop Fixtures Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:00 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 1961
UllFC wrote:
They need ditching and im not convinced they are the massive money spinner some think they are. A couple of years ago Hull played Wakefield twice in one month at home, with no disrespect to Wakefield that isn't a fixture to attract new fans or get the more casual fans into the ground. It just felt like season ticket holders and diehard away fans only in the ground.

I'd rather see games against Toulouse/London/Bradford etc to at least see some different players and hear some different songs from the away end.


It's a great point that maybe most loop fixtures see little money handed over at the Turnstyles, but would less games affect season ticket prices that may have to adjust down?

Maybe the "Middle eights" for the MPG showed there arey always a couple of clubs in the Championship that could give SL clubs a game.

Maybe the number of applicants for 12th. spot showed clubs are ready and willing to make the league back up to 14

As we did have 14 club leagues for 26 regular games back in 2014 and well before that

Is the problem the top owners like to have their "third games" against big rivals like Hull/HKR Saints/Wigan than against London and Featherstone?

Anyway great post and 14 for me all day...........
Re: Loop Fixtures Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:18 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 1961
wrencat1873 wrote:
Bang on.

The bottom line though is that, the current SL clubs dont want to "water down" their share of the sky monies and far from increasing the revenue from the TV deal, it looks like there will be a hefty cut. Therefore, it's more likely that the bigger clubs will at some point be asking for a reduction in the number of SL clubs.



Well your right because the bigger clubs have already put the idea of a 10 club Superleague (and a 10 club Championship) to the vote about 18 months ago.

Thus we were looking at all clubs playing each other three times, and probably will be again as SL looks for a 10 way split of ALL the SKY money.

I don't know when this will be brought back on the table, but now won't be the time. Once we are well into the 2021 season and season tickets are all sold, top SL chairmen will probably look to run that vote again. Kind of keep asking until you get the right answer??

That should be the time when we can see exactly who would be up to making up a 10 club Superleague. The reports all point to very very serious money problems at some clubs that either wipe out their SL ambitions, or mean they would have to drop out of Superleague.

If you have lost a lot of money due to Covid, and don't have a rich enough owner to balance the books then SL may be beyond your club.

I would suggest that for 2021's potential 10 club Superleague simply list the 10 club owners with the most personal wealth...........

That's likely to be the make up of SL and at least that will mean Newcastle and London in and a truly national game :D :D :D

(there's always a silver lining)
Re: Loop Fixtures Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:11 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15618
Donnyman wrote:
Well your right because the bigger clubs have already put the idea of a 10 club Superleague (and a 10 club Championship) to the vote about 18 months ago.

Thus we were looking at all clubs playing each other three times, and probably will be again as SL looks for a 10 way split of ALL the SKY money.

I don't know when this will be brought back on the table, but now won't be the time. Once we are well into the 2021 season and season tickets are all sold, top SL chairmen will probably look to run that vote again. Kind of keep asking until you get the right answer??

That should be the time when we can see exactly who would be up to making up a 10 club Superleague. The reports all point to very very serious money problems at some clubs that either wipe out their SL ambitions, or mean they would have to drop out of Superleague.

If you have lost a lot of money due to Covid, and don't have a rich enough owner to balance the books then SL may be beyond your club.

I would suggest that for 2021's potential 10 club Superleague simply list the 10 club owners with the most personal wealth...........

That's likely to be the make up of SL and at least that will mean Newcastle and London in and a truly national game :D :D :D

(there's always a silver lining)


Yeah, Newcastle and London will really save us :lol:

I think that you're right about some clubs teetering on the edge financially but, as the famous phrase goes, be careful what you wish for.

For the record, the 10 club SL has been floating around for much longer than you suggest.
However, if anyone suggests that it's SL 1 & SL 2, they should be thrown from the nearest tall building.

A 10 club SL will be a cash grab by the bigger clubs, just as it always was.

The way our sport is declining, it will soon be Wigan, Saints, Leeds Wire and Hull playing with themselves.
Re: Loop Fixtures Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:29 pm  

Mike1970 wrote:
Mike1970 Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 pm
Posts: 288
wrencat1873 wrote:
The way our sport is declining, it will soon be Wigan, Saints, Leeds Wire and Hull playing with themselves.


Ooh err. Can you say that?
Re: Loop Fixtures Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:45 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 1961
wrencat1873 wrote:


The way our sport is declining, it will soon be Wigan, Saints, Leeds Wire and Hull playing with themselves.



Well the fact is that the game is miles in front of where it was in the sixties and seventies.

Stadiums are better, crowds are bigger, player development is more professional and TV deals still come through.

So Covid apart the old man of the M62 is still alive and well and aged 125.

If you want to see a Rugby League "dying" try the French game

If you want to see a dead Rugby League try the Canadian game.

This is how spectacularly wrong you can be. You have fallen for the idea France and North America are the future, so much so that you think the English game is dying?
Last edited by Donnyman on Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Loop Fixtures Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:52 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 1961
wrencat1873 wrote:

Yeah, Newcastle and London will really save us :lol:

.


Why not learn an instrument? Why not do some of those DIY jobs around the house you have left for such a long time. It's better than spending the last so many years on here shouting about "expansion".

Then when two well backed English clubs well away from the M62 apply for Superleague you slag them off :lol: :lol: :lol:

As soon as you get your jabs, plan to go down to Belle Vue and volunteer your services, it's gonna be a tough season, Schoey says so.
Re: Loop Fixtures Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:59 am  
Ornery Optimist Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:51 pm
Posts: 4982
Donnyman wrote:
Well the fact is that the game is miles in front of where it was in the sixties and seventies.

Stadiums are better, crowds are bigger, player development is more professional and TV deals still come through.

So Covid apart the old man of the M62 is still alive and well and aged 125.

If you want to see a Rugby League "dying" try the French game

If you want to see a dead Rugby League try the Canadian game.

This is how spectacularly wrong you can be. You have fallen for the idea France and North America are the future, so much so that you think the English game is dying?


Does your jeremiad ever end? This is a thread about loop fixtures and still you mention France and North America.
Crowds are NOT bigger.Try asking your mate,Lenagan.Stadiums are not better.Possiblt the ones shared with other clubs in other sports,but ask Wakefield and Castleford.
Player development is not more professional.If players perform in the NRL,a place where the sport developed within the 125 yrsl timescale,they then represent the place where they were born.The selection pool decreases yearly.
Argue with Sport England if you think participation numbers are swelling.
TV deals still come through? I think you'll find the 2,long serving,broadcast companies still remain.Just as the 'old man of the M62' remains.On It's last legs...
No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kevs Head, Pumpetypump, UllFC, Wigg'n, Wildthing and 162 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,143,1301,32278,5444,559LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Thu 22nd Apr 10:50
NRL
PENRITH
v
NEWCASTLE
Thu 22nd Apr 18:00
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
CASTLEFORD
Thu 22nd Apr 19:45
SL
HUDDERSFIELD
v
ST.HELENS
Fri 23rd Apr 09:00
NRL
GOLD COAST
v
SOUTHS
Fri 23rd Apr 10:55
NRL
PARRAMATTA EELS
v
BRISBANE
Fri 23rd Apr 18:00
SL
SALFORD
v
LEIGH
Fri 23rd Apr 18:00
SL
HULL KR
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Fri 23rd Apr 19:45
SL
HULL FC
v
WAKEFIELD
Sat 24th Apr 08:30
NRL
CRONULLA
v
CANTERBURY
Sat 24th Apr 10:35
NRL
NQL COWBOYS
v
CANBERRA
Sat 24th Apr 14:00
 CH
LONDON BRONCOS
v
OLDHAM
Sat 24th Apr 16:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
WIDNES VIKINGS
Sat 24th Apr 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
WARRINGTON
Sun 25th Apr 04:45
NRL
WESTS TIGERS
v
MANLY
Sun 25th Apr 07:05
NRL
SYDNEY ROOSTERS
v
ST.GEORGE
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Sun 18th Apr
NRL RND: 6 St.George14-20NZ Warriors
NRL RND: 6 NQL Cowboys30-18Canterbury
CH RND: 2 Bradford27-26Halifax
CH RND: 2 Swinton6-36Featherstone
CH RND: 2 Whitehaven29-20Newcastle
CH RND: 2 York14-20Sheffield
WSL RND: 1 BradfordW0-86St.HelensW
WSL RND: 1 WiganW52-8Wire W
WSL RND: 1 CastlefordW40-6FeatherstoneW
WSL RND: 1 LeedsW68-16YorkW
SL RND: 3 Hull FC14-14Warrington
Sat 17th Apr
CH RND: 2 Toulouse24-0LondonB
NRL RND: 6 Manly36-0Gold Coast
NRL RND: 6 Souths18-14Wests
NRL RND: 6 Canberra10-35Parramatta
CH RND: 2 Batley48-10Oldham
CH RND: 2 Widnes14-22Dewsbury
SL RND: 3 Catalans42-6Salford
Fri 16th Apr
NRL RND: 6 Newcastle26-22Cronulla
NRL RND: 6 Melbourne20-4Sydney
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Penrith 6 160 38 122 12
Parramatta 6 151 90 61 10
Souths 6 161 74 87 10
Sydney 6 164 78 86 8
Melbourne 6 160 74 86 8
St.George 6 143 107 36 8
 
Canberra 6 113 125 -12 6
Newcastle 6 127 142 -15 6
NZ Warriors 6 113 116 -3 6
Gold Coast 6 124 115 9 6
Cronulla 6 126 120 6 4
NQL Cowboys 6 100 189 -89 4
Manly 6 83 168 -85 4
Brisbane 6 80 147 -67 2
Wests 6 108 178 -70 2
Canterbury 6 52 204 -152 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
St.Helens 3 88 12 76 6 733.33 100.00
Wigan 3 73 30 43 6 243.33 100.00
Castleford 3 91 38 53 6 239.47 100.00
Catalans 3 91 44 47 6 206.82 100.00
Hull FC 3 71 28 43 5 253.57 83.33
Warrington 3 70 47 23 3 148.94 50.00
 
Leeds 3 44 59 -15 2 74.58 33.33
Hull KR 3 53 78 -25 2 67.95 33.33
Huddersfield 3 44 67 -23 0 65.67 0.00
Leigh 3 46 116 -70 0 39.66 0.00
Wakefield 3 34 96 -62 0 35.42 0.00
Salford 3 16 106 -90 0 15.09 0.00
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 2
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Sheffield 2 70 26 44 4
Toulouse 2 45 6 39 4
Featherstone 2 64 24 40 4
Dewsbury 2 39 22 17 4
Halifax 2 73 41 32 2
Oldham 2 38 68 -30 2
 
Whitehaven 2 37 37 0 2
Batley 2 66 38 28 2
Bradford 2 39 76 -37 2
Newcastle 2 50 59 -9 1
Widnes 2 44 52 -8 1
Swinton 2 26 64 -38 0
York 2 20 41 -21 0
LondonB 2 14 71 -57 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Rochdale 0 0 0 0 0
Barrow 0 0 0 0 0
LondonS 0 0 0 0 0
West Wales 0 0 0 0 0
Doncaster 0 0 0 0 0
Keighley 0 0 0 0 0
 
Coventry 0 0 0 0 0
Workington 0 0 0 0 0
Hunslet 0 0 0 0 0
Crusaders 0 0 0 0 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
St.HelensW 1 86 0 86 2
LeedsW 1 68 16 52 2
WiganW 1 52 8 44 2
CastlefordW 1 40 6 34 2
WakefieldW 0 0 0 0 0
Hudds W 0 0 0 0 0
 
FeatherstoneW 1 6 40 -34 0
Wire W 1 8 52 -44 0
YorkW 1 16 68 -52 0
BradfordW 1 0 86 -86 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X