RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Ian Watson
Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:31 am  

User avatarSaxy wrote:
Saxy User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 am
Posts: 82
Location: Johannesburg
Re: Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:59 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 2007
Saxy wrote:
https://www.salfordreddevils.net/club-statement-ian-watson/?fbclid=IwAR1Wl9C55NA7Ltxiy6opTcocy_TEo7cVzRdmXAcI9X0eTpnjrTFG5wrGCTA


Not so much how well will Fartown go with him, but how Salford will manage without him.
Re: Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:17 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 14962
No offence intended to Hudds, but I don't get why he's doing this if the rumours are accurate.

Chances of silverware - Less at Hudds given Salford just made the last two finals.
Job Security - I'd argue worse at Hudds. He hasn't built up the goodwill that he did at Salford.
Crowds - Neither have any
Ability to build a squad - I know Salford are constantly fighting losing their top guys but that's because they're doing well. It'll be exactly the same at Hudds if they started making finals IMO.
Love of the club - He's a Salford man with no connection to Hudds that I'm aware of.

Only thing I can think is that Huddersfield could pay him more due to having a rich benefactor. Either that or some sort of fall out with those in charge at Salford. Suppose not having a good academy would be annoying, especially when they ended up conceding a game this year.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:44 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15686
Grimmy wrote:
No offence intended to Hudds, but I don't get why he's doing this if the rumours are accurate.

Chances of silverware - Less at Hudds given Salford just made the last two finals.
Job Security - I'd argue worse at Hudds. He hasn't built up the goodwill that he did at Salford.
Crowds - Neither have any
Ability to build a squad - I know Salford are constantly fighting losing their top guys but that's because they're doing well. It'll be exactly the same at Hudds if they started making finals IMO.
Love of the club - He's a Salford man with no connection to Hudds that I'm aware of.

Only thing I can think is that Huddersfield could pay him more due to having a rich benefactor. Either that or some sort of fall out with those in charge at Salford. Suppose not having a good academy would be annoying, especially when they ended up conceding a game this year.


Less job security at Hudds than Salford ?
Also Hudds use the full cap, Salford are some way from being able to do this.

The big question is whether everything is ok at Salford.?
They were deducted "3 wins" just a few weeks ago, which wasn't because everything was hunky dory at Salford.

Either way, he has done a fantastic job at Salford, way beyond anything that they could have hoped for or expected.
If he can come close to replicating what he's done at Salford, Huddersfield ill be very, happy indeed.

But, what about the Red Devils - their fans must be very worried.
Re: Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:46 am  

Alffi_7 wrote:
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 1994
Grimmy wrote:
No offence intended to Hudds, but I don't get why he's doing this if the rumours are accurate.

Chances of silverware - Less at Hudds given Salford just made the last two finals.
Job Security - I'd argue worse at Hudds. He hasn't built up the goodwill that he did at Salford.
Crowds - Neither have any
Ability to build a squad - I know Salford are constantly fighting losing their top guys but that's because they're doing well. It'll be exactly the same at Hudds if they started making finals IMO.
Love of the club - He's a Salford man with no connection to Hudds that I'm aware of.

Only thing I can think is that Huddersfield could pay him more due to having a rich benefactor. Either that or some sort of fall out with those in charge at Salford. Suppose not having a good academy would be annoying, especially when they ended up conceding a game this year.


Salford lose players due to their salary cap issues - they can't afford full cap.

At Huddersfield he will be able to keep hold of players by paying higher salaries, so he will get a full cap to play with, marquee allowances, be able to keep his squad together, closer commute than Hull and less pressure than a Saints / Wigan / Warrington / Leeds / Hull job.

This doesn;t have to be the last step in his career, he can do a few years at Hudds then move to a bigger job if one presents itself - I don't think it's a bad move for him, safe move and allows him time to develop as a coach, he's only had 5 years as a head coach I think?

If he succeeds at Hudds, Wigan / Saints / Wire / Leeds / Hull etc etc will still be waiting for him.
Re: Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:47 am  

User avatarSaxy wrote:
Saxy User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 am
Posts: 82
Location: Johannesburg
Grimmy wrote:
No offence intended to Hudds, but I don't get why he's doing this if the rumours are accurate.


If the rumours are accurate.....I'm wondering whether the Hudds thing is a smokescreen to hide negotiations around changes at one of the big clubs who may have either 1) just picked up a nice shiny shield or 2) recently lost twice in a week to Watson only to beat him without even having to get into their kit. I'll get me coat.
Re: Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:12 am  

User avatarWillzay wrote:
Willzay User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm
Posts: 10564
Exciting news for the Hudds fan. A lot of young talent for Watson to work with
Profit over Lives - The Tory way
Re: Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:43 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 14962
wrencat1873 wrote:
Less job security at Hudds than Salford ?
Also Hudds use the full cap, Salford are some way from being able to do this.

The big question is whether everything is ok at Salford.?
They were deducted "3 wins" just a few weeks ago, which wasn't because everything was hunky dory at Salford.

Either way, he has done a fantastic job at Salford, way beyond anything that they could have hoped for or expected.
If he can come close to replicating what he's done at Salford, Huddersfield ill be very, happy indeed.

But, what about the Red Devils - their fans must be very worried.

Job security - I was referring to the goodwill he's built up at Salford. IMO if they finish 10th next year he would keep his job. If Hudds did then people would say he can't replicate it outside Salford and he would go IMO.

Yeah fair enough didn't think about the financial issues.
Last edited by Grimmy on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:50 am  

User avatarUncle Rico wrote:
Uncle Rico User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 4719
Location: Stuck in 1982
Saxy wrote:
If the rumours are accurate.....I'm wondering whether the Hudds thing is a smokescreen to hide negotiations around changes at one of the big clubs who may have either 1) just picked up a nice shiny shield or 2) recently lost twice in a week to Watson only to beat him without even having to get into their kit. I'll get me coat.



I don't think that this is a bad (conspiracy) theory at all Saxy.

The open engagement with Hull FC and what seemed to be the main criteria for rejecting their overtures, moving the family at exam times essentially put Watson on the market with Salford's 'blessing'. Although I can understand the latest club statement that they are disappointed etc a standard response potentially fired up by Watson's previous position.

I suppose all will be revealed soon enough
Re: Ian Watson Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:26 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15686
Grimmy wrote:
Job security - I was referring to the goodwill he's built up at Salford. IMO if they finish 10th next year he would keep his job. If Hudds did then people would say he can't replicate it outside Salford and he would go IMO.

Yeah fair enough didn't think about the financial issues.


Salford appear to be under severe financial pressure, which negates any good will that may have been accrued.
I agree that Salford wouldn't get rid but, there is certainly more financial stability at Huddersfield.

I genuinely worry for Salford
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: atomic, Donnyman, Egg Chasing, Thetalentboy, Willzay and 145 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,151,5301,78878,5754,559LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
TOMORROW 05:00
NRL
MANLY
v
NZ WARRIORS
TOMORROW 07:05
NRL
ST.GEORGE
v
CANTERBURY
TOMORROW 11:45
 CH
SWINTON LIONS
v
BRADFORD BULLS
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
HALIFAX
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
LONDON BRONCOS
v
NEWCASTLE
TOMORROW 15:00
 CH
YORK
v
FEATHERSTONE
TOMORROW 15:00
 L1
COVENTRY BEARS
v
BARROW RAIDERS
TOMORROW 15:00
 L1
HUNSLET
v
WORKINGTON TOWN
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Sat 8th May
CC RND: 4 Hull FC20-10Wigan
CC RND: 4 Castleford19-18Salford
CH RND: 5 Oldham4-36Whitehaven
NRL RND: 9 Canberra16-24Newcastle
NRL RND: 9 Wests28-36Gold Coast
NRL RND: 9 NQL Cowboys19-18Brisbane
L1 RND: 1 LondonS24-44Crusaders
Fri 7th May
CC RND: 4 Catalans6-16Warrington
CC RND: 4 St.Helens23-18Huddersfield
CH RND: 5 Sheffield18-30Batley
NRL RND: 9 Penrith48-0Cronulla
NRL RND: 9 Parramatta31-18Sydney
Thu 6th May
NRL RND: 9 Souths0-50Melbourne
Sun 2nd May
CH RND: 4 Newcastle16-28Batley
CH RND: 4 Whitehaven22-30Bradford
CH RND: 4 Widnes46-10Swinton
CH RND: 4 Dewsbury20-30York
NRL RND: 8 NZ Warriors24-20NQL Cowboys
NRL RND: 8 St.George8-16Wests
WSL RND: 2 WiganW38-0BradfordW
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Penrith 9 260 60 200 18
Parramatta 9 260 124 136 16
Melbourne 9 292 108 184 14
Souths 9 235 174 61 14
Sydney 9 254 123 131 12
Newcastle 9 161 220 -59 8
 
NZ Warriors 8 157 178 -21 8
Gold Coast 9 218 219 -1 8
St.George 8 161 157 4 8
NQL Cowboys 9 165 255 -90 8
Canberra 9 173 209 -36 6
Manly 8 139 202 -63 6
Cronulla 9 152 226 -74 4
Brisbane 9 140 240 -100 4
Wests 9 158 262 -104 4
Canterbury 8 80 248 -168 2
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
St.Helens 5 128 34 94 10 376.47 100.00
Wigan 5 111 56 55 10 198.21 100.00
Castleford 5 131 78 53 8 167.95 80.00
Catalans 5 137 86 51 8 159.30 80.00
Hull FC 5 105 58 47 7 181.03 70.00
Warrington 5 144 81 63 7 177.78 70.00
 
Hull KR 5 105 134 -29 4 78.36 40.00
Huddersfield 5 68 98 -30 2 69.39 20.00
Leeds 5 63 99 -36 2 63.64 20.00
Salford 5 68 142 -74 2 47.89 20.00
Wakefield 5 66 154 -88 0 42.86 0.00
Leigh 5 66 172 -106 0 38.37 0.00
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPNTSDIFFWP%
Featherstone 3 112 38 74 6 294.74 100.00
Toulouse 3 89 40 49 6 222.50 100.00
Batley 5 172 88 84 8 195.45 80.00
Bradford 4 104 112 -8 6 92.86 75.00
York 4 114 77 37 4 148.05 50.00
Sheffield 5 124 100 24 5 124.00 50.00
 
Dewsbury 4 73 87 -14 4 83.91 50.00
Whitehaven 5 109 119 -10 4 91.60 40.00
Oldham 5 82 156 -74 4 52.56 40.00
Widnes 4 106 110 -4 3 96.36 37.50
Newcastle 4 90 103 -13 3 87.38 37.50
LondonB 4 74 115 -41 3 64.35 37.50
Halifax 4 119 101 18 2 117.82 25.00
Swinton 4 52 174 -122 0 29.89 0.00
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
Crusaders 1 44 24 20 2
Workington 0 0 0 0 0
Hunslet 0 0 0 0 0
Rochdale 0 0 0 0 0
Barrow 0 0 0 0 0
West Wales 0 0 0 0 0
 
Doncaster 0 0 0 0 0
Keighley 0 0 0 0 0
Coventry 0 0 0 0 0
LondonS 1 24 44 -20 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 3
 PLDFADIFFPNTS
St.HelensW 2 176 0 176 4
LeedsW 2 140 16 124 4
WiganW 2 90 8 82 4
CastlefordW 2 84 6 78 4
Hudds W 1 0 90 -90 0
WakefieldW 1 0 44 -44 0
 
FeatherstoneW 2 6 112 -106 0
Wire W 1 8 52 -44 0
YorkW 1 16 68 -52 0
BradfordW 2 0 124 -124 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X