WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Challenge Cup Final

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Challenge Cup Final

Challenge Cup Final Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:44 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Salford v Leeds (David v Golliath)

With all the odds seemingly stacked against Salford, who take part in their first Challenge Cup Final since 68/69, taking on big spending and "fully fit" Leeds Rhinos, is there any realistic hope of an upset.
The odds have tightened a whisker in the last couple of days with Salford now 8/5 instead of 9/4.

Will they be without 8 first choice players or has this been slightly exaggerated.

Watson has done an excellent job since he too the reigns and has the unfashionable club punching well above their weight.
It's quite ironic that all of the Koucash £millions couldn't buy the same level of success.

Leeds, on the other hand look close to full strength and having gone about their business very quietly this season, they are more than capable of doing a job on Salford and they have the players and staff with plenty of "know how" when it comes to the big occasions.

The neutrals may be split though.
Many will opt for Salford as the clear underdog but, equally, plenty will have developed a soft spot for Leeds, who will want to "win it for Rob", one of their club legends, who is doing things tough at the moment and it would be a good thing to see him with the Cup in his hands.

It's a real shame that Wembley will be empty but, let's hope for a cracker !
Re: Challenge Cup Final Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:33 pm  

User avatarNickyKiss wrote:
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I think Salford will be all the better for the experience they’ll take in from playing in last years Grand Final and I see it as a pretty close call. This isn’t a Leeds team with the know how of teams in the past and there won’t be a huge deal of difference between the two sides in terms of final experience.

The loss of Sarginson is huge for Salford. He is brilliant at getting you out of trouble near your own line and if the conditions are poor and Leeds play a similar style to the semi, I’d rather have Sarginson than Evalds. As it is the forecast looks ok, so it should be more expansive and I think Salford will get the win if that’s the case. It would be a bit of a shock win but not one that would knock you off your chair.
Re: Challenge Cup Final Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:54 pm  

User avatarhomme vaste wrote:
homme vaste User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Judging on Salford's squad, they seem to be only missing Sarginson? Other than that they look more or less full strength.

Salford win for me.
Re: Challenge Cup Final Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:04 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

NickyKiss wrote:
I think Salford will be all the better for the experience they’ll take in from playing in last years Grand Final and I see it as a pretty close call. This isn’t a Leeds team with the know how of teams in the past and there won’t be a huge deal of difference between the two sides in terms of final experience.

The loss of Sarginson is huge for Salford. He is brilliant at getting you out of trouble near your own line and if the conditions are poor and Leeds play a similar style to the semi, I’d rather have Sarginson than Evalds. As it is the forecast looks ok, so it should be more expansive and I think Salford will get the win if that’s the case. It would be a bit of a shock win but not one that would knock you off your chair.

The experience for Leeds will be in their backroom staff and knowing how to prepare well could be the difference.
Re: Challenge Cup Final Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:28 pm  

User avatarWillzay wrote:
Willzay User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Think Leeds will win but wouldn’t be surprised if Salford did either.
Profit over Lives - The Tory way
Re: Challenge Cup Final Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:07 pm  

User avatarBudgiezilla wrote:
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I hope Salford win, but I predict a Leeds victory by 10 points. Salford will miss Dan Sarginson on his recent form, but at leat Niall Evalds is back for them.
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Re: Challenge Cup Final Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 am  
Freddie Miller. Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

wrencat1873 wrote:
Salford v Leeds (David v Golliath)

The neutrals may be split though.
Many will opt for Salford as the clear underdog but, equally, plenty will have developed a soft spot for Leeds, who will want to "win it for Rob", one of their club legends, who is doing things tough at the moment and it would be a good thing to see him with the Cup in his hands.

It's a real shame that Wembley will be empty but, let's hope for a cracker !

I'm in the "win it for Rob camp" as it would be a wonderful happy occasion for Rob and his family to see him proudly holding the cup.
Re: Challenge Cup Final Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:23 am  

User avatarryano wrote:
ryano User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Obviously I'm hoping for a Leeds win especially for Rich but if Salford deserve it on the day then I'd be chuffed for them and Ian Watson. The job he's done there is outstanding. Hope it's a good game.
"Arguably the best Rugby League side certainly in the last 40 years!" Phil Clarke.
Re: Challenge Cup Final Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:24 am  
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Tough exiting game, Leeds favourites but Salford don’t know when to quit and Leeds are Prone to lapses. Will be close good go either way. But going for Leeds win (well i would wouldn’t I)

Leeds 29 - 22 Salford
Re: Challenge Cup Final Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:08 am  

Steph Curry wrote:
Steph Curry Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I think Salford will win easily personally
Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k
Next