WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Covid within Rugby League

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Covid within Rugby League

Covid within Rugby League Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:53 pm  

User avatarricardo07 wrote:
ricardo07 User avatar
Strong-running second rower

Why are there so many cases in our game?

Quite a few games have now been called off.

Not aware of any football games been affected and even rugby union seems to have not been affected as bad.

Any ideas why?
Re: Covid within Rugby League Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:34 pm  

Trainman wrote:
Trainman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

A part of that would be the pandemic is spreading at a much higher rate in the north than the south at present, players based in the north would naturally be of higher risk.
Re: Covid within Rugby League Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:21 am  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Strong-running second rower

It has been just as prevalent in football and RU, but they have the squads to be able to manage.
Re: Covid within Rugby League Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:47 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

ricardo07 wrote:
Why are there so many cases in our game?

Quite a few games have now been called off.

Not aware of any football games been affected and even rugby union seems to have not been affected as bad.

Any ideas why?

In RU, Sale had to forfeit their last game of the season and with it lost the chance to make the play offs.
Aso, football has seen fixtures postponed etc.

However, I would agree that considering the size of SL, there does seem to have been more players affected in our sport
Re: Covid within Rugby League Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:33 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

wrencat1873 wrote:
In RU, Sale had to forfeit their last game of the season and with it lost the chance to make the play offs.
Aso, football has seen fixtures postponed etc.

However, I would agree that considering the size of SL, there does seem to have been more players affected in our sport

The test is so bunk it's meaningless, that's before you even get to where a test might be done, how many amplification cycles are used and how many actual tests are done.

I've not seen any scrap of evidence to prove any one player was actually infectious from anything, have you, just that someone had a positive using a test that even Johnson admitted that 93% of positives were in fact not infectious cases but false positives. So when you then stand down players by association you end up with more dropped players even despite no positive test or actual infection likelihood.

I've already been told straight from the horses mouth how amatuer football is getting away with not following protocols to almost any degree and yet RL at the lower levels are being forced to jump through hoops with lots of threats, maybe the vigorousness of what's going on is more for RL than other sports? There's been evidence regards number of drug tests within union and soccer that they get off lightly compared to league, with some players in the top echelon not getting a single drug test in a season.
1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018 under FOI request:
"288 samples were collected from 528 players to make an appearance in rugby union's Premiership, while 328 samples were collected from 406 players to feature in rugby league's Super League"
Re: Covid within Rugby League Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 pm  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Are you really saying that rugby league is being victimised with it's covid tests?
Re: Covid within Rugby League Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:38 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Egg Chasing wrote:
Are you really saying that rugby league is being victimised with it's covid tests?

Who said victimised, I commented on regards potential reason as to why more RL give a + test
My comments where from someone within the sport whom also had direct contact with football at similar level, I asked the question regards how tests were done in different areas (which can and does impact false positives as we know) and whether actual testing in RL is different to RU in terms of absolute numbers, which of course with a flawed test would throuw up more positive test results would it not?
That in no way is me saying RL is being victimised, I used the drug testing differentials as an example of what has happened and could that have an impact on players being tested and where they are being tested and how that testing is carried out. Different areas experience different false positives and for various reasons.
Re: Covid within Rugby League Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:31 am  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Free-scoring winger

For something like this though why would there be more players tested in league than union? This isn't a random drugs test.

If you are correct though and let's say more players in league are tested then that of course is causing the sport major problems that other sports aren't experiencing.
Re: Covid within Rugby League Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:46 am  

User avatarSaddened! wrote:
Saddened! User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I'd just put it down to a lack of professionalism from those involved. The NRL, football have strict bubbles set up. The player know where they are allowed to go and they largely comply. Where they don't it's a scandal as we've seen.

In Super League, I don't think there are any strict measure in place. I've seen Warrington players at the Tesco garage near me with no mask on and I've seen a Super League player I won't mention being thrown out of a pub blind drunk. Players from different clubs are visiting each other and playing golf together. All permitted under the national rules, but they should hardly be surprised if they're hit with a positive test given all the people they are in contact with will have families and kids in school etc.
Re: Covid within Rugby League Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:50 am  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Free-scoring winger

Saddened! wrote:
I'd just put it down to a lack of professionalism from those involved. The NRL, football have strict bubbles set up. The player know where they are allowed to go and they largely comply. Where they don't it's a scandal as we've seen.

In Super League, I don't think there are any strict measure in place. I've seen Warrington players at the Tesco garage near me with no mask on and I've seen a Super League player I won't mention being thrown out of a pub blind drunk. Players from different clubs are visiting each other and playing golf together. All permitted under the national rules, but they should hardly be surprised if they're hit with a positive test given all the people they are in contact with will have families and kids in school etc.

I think that is probably more closer to the truth
Next