WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - New TV deal
TV Rights Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:41 am  

Steph Curry wrote:
Steph Curry Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

The TV rights have gone out to tender this week.

What do we all think will be the outcome?

I think we can kiss goodbye to the £40m per year we currently get

I hope someone other than SKY take the option of the challenge cup/championship rights
Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k
New TV deal Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:22 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Chris Jones reports on the 2022 TV deal.

Currently £40 Million a year is paid by SKY

Of that SL get £30 Million and the RFL (Championships inc.) £10 Million a year.

"A championship advisory board revealed SL would want £32.25 a year leaving the championship with £7.75 million" i.e. less money for the Championship if the SAME amount of money is offered by SKY in the next deal..

However if the SKY deal drops to a lower annual figure that changes in that Superleague want "no less than £30 Million a season"

So if the new deal is reduced then the Champiomship take the hit in full. A £30Million a year deal sees the Championship(s) getting nothing i.e they take the full hit.

Maybe that's why Degsy seems to be on course for Superleague or bust 2021......
Re: New TV deal Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:30 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:
Chris Jones reports on the 2022 TV deal.

Currently £40 Million a year is paid by SKY

Of that SL get £30 Million and the RFL (Championships inc.) £10 Million a year.

"A championship advisory board revealed SL would want £32.25 a year leaving the championship with £7.75 million" i.e. less money for the Championship if the SAME amount of money is offered by SKY in the next deal..

However if the SKY deal drops to a lower annual figure that changes in that Superleague want "no less than £30 Million a season"

So if the new deal is reduced then the Champiomship take the hit in full. A £30Million a year deal sees the Championship(s) getting nothing i.e they take the full hit.

Maybe that's why Degsy seems to be on course for Superleague or bust 2021......

Is this new information? I feel like we already knew this over a year ago when the Championship clubs were kicking off about it.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: New TV deal Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:40 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:
Is this new information? I feel like we already knew this over a year ago when the Championship clubs were kicking off about it.

Yes they kicked off about it, but IIRC the exact figures weren't given. Some board members may not have been here well over a year ago.

The report confirms the current situation as the Broadcasting rights have just gone out to Tender in two packages. (1) Superleague and (2) the rest of the game. It's going to be a deal that will be finalised probably within the year and the impact could be nothing, but it could hammer the Championship as you indicate.
Re: New TV deal Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 am  

Grimmy wrote:
Gold RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:
Yes they kicked off about it, but IIRC the exact figures weren't given. Some board members may not have been here well over a year ago.

The report confirms the current situation as the Broadcasting rights have just gone out to Tender in two packages. (1) Superleague and (2) the rest of the game. It's going to be a deal that will be finalised probably within the year and the impact could be nothing, but it could hammer the Championship as you indicate.

I can understand it to be honest. Obviously there are tough times ahead for everyone and frankly the Championship hasn't been bringing in TV money as Sky weren't interested in broadcasting it (apart from Bash). Unfortunately I think we'll see Championship clubs having to cut their cloth even more and rely on SL reserve players (which to be fair should be available in abundance given the cancellation of the reserves comp). We need to keep SL strong or everything will fall over.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: New TV deal Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:23 am  

Jack Burton wrote:
Jack Burton Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Why not tender a separate TV deal for the lower leagues? Perhaps someone like Quest would be interested?
Re: New TV deal Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:23 am  
Dita's Slot Meter User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Jack Burton wrote:
Why not tender a separate TV deal for the lower leagues? Perhaps someone like Quest would be interested?

What would Quest (or some other tinpot TV company) pay?

Just enough to cover the costs of the turnstile operators for most clubs?
And so you aim towards the sky,
And you'll rise high today,
Fly away, Far away,
Far from pain....
Re: New TV deal Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Gold RLFANS Member

Dita's Slot Meter wrote:
What would Quest (or some other tinpot TV company) pay?

Just enough to cover the costs of the turnstile operators for most clubs?

Better than the £0 we get for championship currently to be fair. I bet sky's offer for SL & Championship would be roughly the same as they would offer for just SL given that they never show it (apart from Bash).
Frank Zappa wrote:

The_Enforcer wrote:
Re: New TV deal Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:51 pm  

Beverley red wrote:
Beverley red Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I am very worried that the game as we know it will be heading over a cliff if they don’t secure a deal at least the same as we have now. From what I understand from reading the various reports all broadcasters are loosing advertising revenue as there are in a vicious scrap with each other. Sky no longer has a monopoly on soccer or most other sports. The terestrial /free to air would like our game but can’t pay what we need, the constant attack on the BBC licence fee rules them out as they are cutting costs everywhere. If they had been prepared to give our game prime time slots & as much respect as they do to soccer, NFL & Union club sponsors may have been prepared to put more in but I think we will be lucky to remain a fully pro game come this time next year. We will loose the few remaining quality players to Australia or Union. I do so hope I am being overly pesamistic but worrying times.
Re: New TV deal Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm  

Egg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Grimmy wrote:
Better than the £0 we get for championship currently to be fair. I bet sky's offer for SL & Championship would be roughly the same as they would offer for just SL given that they never show it (apart from Bash).

Absolutely.

If we can get the Championship on any form of free to air TV then it can only be good for the game.

I would love someone like BT to come in and challenge Sky but sadly I don't see it happening because I don't think the game has the marketing team in place to make it happen. That means Sky know they can offer £3.50 a few pizzas and a truck and we're forced to take it.
Next