WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Donnyman expansion discussion threads merged

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Donnyman expansion discussion threads merged

Re: What now for Ottawa Aces? Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:43 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

The Silent H wrote:
Perez's record is pretty good. Built one club from scratch and another next year in foreign lands all in 5 years.

Yes but, the one he built looks to have collapsed.

If you have enough money to throw at a project, it will always be sustainable but, if the money runs out, you have a problem - see Toronto.

The million dollar question is, can they (N. America) EVER produce homegrown players - right now, there is zero plan and zero evidence that they actually can, which is a shame but, it doesnt change where we are.

Personally, I believe that for RL to be a success over there, it somehow needs to stand on its own two feet and I really dont see how/when this will be possible.
Re: What now for Ottawa Aces? Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:57 am  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

IR80 wrote:
out of interest, what has made you so bitter and full of hate for all things expansion?

Ottawa isn't expansion though is it
Re: What now for Ottawa Aces? Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:39 am  

User avatarPumpetypump wrote:
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

snowie wrote:
Ottawa isn't expansion though is it

Geographically speaking it is, but you're right. Behind the launch of Ottawa is the failure of a southern based club, in a town where all the schools played Rugby League. How Hemel withered is quite sad and we lost something important there if you ask me.
Re: What now for Ottawa Aces? Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:04 pm  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Pumpetypump wrote:
Geographically speaking it is, but you're right. Behind the launch of Ottawa is the failure of a southern based club, in a town where all the schools played Rugby League. How Hemel withered is quite sad and we lost something important there if you ask me.
I agree it was a double blow to the London expansion to have the Broncos relegated and have Hemel taken over and moved to Canada at a time when there seems to be more clubs on the horizon
Re: What now for Ottawa Aces? Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:02 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Pumpetypump wrote:

That's a brilliant post..........

Replacing a club here in England like Hemel and substituting it with a club in Canada in Ottawa adds how many more clubs to the professional game?

None. But Ottawa will continually be called an "Expansion club"

Taking away the local semi-pro club that managed to make Hemel a Rugby League town with top players coming through (Dan Sargison?) contracts the player development base in the south. Yes contraction

OK Ottawa may have access to a few $Million but to get anywhere and to justify replacing proper clubs like we see with phoney Wolfpack replacing the Broncos (hence Canadian clubs destroy our southern base) they need something more than money and that is the desire to grow the game on top of the game here, not replace it and depress it in the south of England.

People may recall the rumour a year or two back Argyle was to buy into London Skolars? Imagine if he had done that back in 2017 and supported Skolars, then partnered with Broncos and Hemel, how that would have massively boosted the Game here in England. Real expansion

The word just isn't expansion. It's substitution and damaging at that....
Re: What now for Ottawa Aces? Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:48 pm  
little wayne69 Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:
Taking away the local semi-pro club that managed to make Hemel a Rugby League town with top players coming through (Dan Sargison?) contracts the player development base in the south.

It's Sarginson btw and he's Australian if you did not know, you mentioned top players coming through in the plural but you've only managed to name one, is this another case of you over egging your post some what for effect?.
Re: What now for Ottawa Aces? Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:30 pm  

IR80 wrote:
IR80 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

little wayne69 wrote:
It's Sarginson btw and he's Australian if you did not know, you mentioned top players coming through in the plural but you've only managed to name one, is this another case of you over egging your post some what for effect?.

Is that a different way of saying 'posting parochial xenophobic bull5hine'?

Donnyman clearly gets a nosebleed if he isn't within 50 miles of a 'proper northern town'
Plans for TWP's replacement Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Mr. Hetherington is calling for an independent panel to choose a club for promotion to Superleague 2021 to take the12th. place.

Criteria include Good finances, Good Stadium, Decent (paying) attendances, good commercial potential and player production system.....

Who will it be?
Re: Plans for TWP's replacement Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:12 pm  

User avatarBudgiezilla wrote:
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

If it happens although I can't see it, as a Leigh fan (with the player production taken into consideration also) I'd go for Widnes.
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Re: Plans for TWP's replacement Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:15 am  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Left to late also would they expect them to complete to full program I doubt it
PreviousNext