WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Future of the Game

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Future of the Game

Re: Future of the Game Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:11 pm  

User avatarPumpetypump wrote:
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

In the interests of innovation how about 6 Superleague divisions each containing two teams. They play each other on a relentless loop every 24 hours on the off chance that Sky give a stuff. To market the game better, each club will prefaced with the word Bradford.

One of the strangest arguments to me about a 14 team top flight is that there are insufficient players able to operate at that level. This has always struck me as being a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Re: Future of the Game Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:35 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Pumpetypump wrote:
In the interests of innovation how about 6 Superleague divisions each containing two teams. They play each other on a relentless loop every 24 hours on the off chance that Sky give a stuff. To market the game better, each club will prefaced with the word Bradford.

One of the strangest arguments to me about a 14 team top flight is that there are insufficient players able to operate at that level. This has always struck me as being a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This was back in the day when some of the so called big clubs suggested that there weren't enough quality players for 14 SL clubs and there was talk form people like Jamie Peacock and others about wanting a further reduction to 10 clubs - mind you, he did a full U Turn on this issue when he went accross to KR, which tells you plenty.
It seemed more like a money grabbing exercise from the big boys.

Anything that could rid us of the loop fixtures would be a positive, even if it meant sacrificing a little bit of quality.

Mind you, it always comes back to the money and in the current covid climate, getting enough youngsters playing RL will be a HUGE challenge over the next few years and this could be a real problem in a few years time, when the numbers of young players diminishes further still.

Many sports have manipulated their participation figures by adding ladies teams but, this is masking the real picture, which is declining numbers of players and volunteers to run junior sides and not just in RL.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:04 am  
Ste100Centurions User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Bulls Boy 2011 wrote:
I’d like Wood and Sawyer to prove how they can facilitate a move back to Odsal, how they intend to pay the £500,000 to get the safety certificate, how they expect to pay the rent, the £30,000 it takes to host 1 game. That’s not even taking into account the rise in wages, the running of the club or a plan in case we get relegated. Then we can maybe see how we could be Club 12.

I would also like to know the answers to your questions. In actual fact I would go further & ask both SLE & the RFL if they intend to use any of the loan money supplied by central government & hence the British taxpayers on funding the repairs on Odsal Stadium, money which was intended for the whole of the game & not for the benefit of one preferred club. Add the Nigel Wood connections to the RFL, the IRLF & Bradford Bulls & 'if' that funding is used on Odsal then serious questions need to be asked about the legality of it's use, especially as Nigel Wood & his assets would benefit financially from the 'investment' !

This whole thing could develop into a cesspit of lies & cover ups to chase rhe dreams of the plaything of the RFL.

Bradford would always be a huge bonus to Super League, but only if done the right way. Artificial interference from the RFL & SLE would again call into question the governance of the game & possibly force a legal challenge !
Re: Future of the Game Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:36 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Ste100Centurions wrote:
I would also like to know the answers to your questions. In actual fact I would go further & ask both SLE & the RFL if they intend to use any of the loan money supplied by central government & hence the British taxpayers on funding the repairs on Odsal Stadium, money which was intended for the whole of the game & not for the benefit of one preferred club. Add the Nigel Wood connections to the RFL, the IRLF & Bradford Bulls & 'if' that funding is used on Odsal then serious questions need to be asked about the legality of it's use, especially as Nigel Wood & his assets would benefit financially from the 'investment' !

This whole thing could develop into a cesspit of lies & cover ups to chase rhe dreams of the plaything of the RFL.

Bradford would always be a huge bonus to Super League, but only if done the right way. Artificial interference from the RFL & SLE would again call into question the governance of the game & possibly force a legal challenge !

A fair and interesting post if not a little aggressive Ste :D

I didn't see Mr. Beaumont in any way "raging" over the Bulls. He seemed to volunteer Leigh and his cheque book to provide a competitive SL side to make up the 12. But he added a rider that if leigh aren't chosen he will look to win the promotion to Superleague for 2022 anyway.

I just think there's an element of understanding between the clubs that isn't actually published in the RL press. My opinion is (based on things that have been said and written) is that 2022 and the new SKY deal will be for an English League, containing the strongest English clubs. Somehow I think one of the opening fixtures for the 2022 Superleague will be Leigh.v.Bradford.....

Would that suit you?? Are you OK to wait a bit??
Re: Future of the Game Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:43 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

wrencat1873 wrote:

getting enough youngsters playing RL will be a HUGE challenge over the next few years and this could be a real problem in a few years time

Agreed, so can we now also agree that 2022 no academy = NO SUPERLEAGUE an no exceptions.....................................
Re: Future of the Game Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:08 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:
Agreed, so can we now also agree that 2022 no academy = NO SUPERLEAGUE an no exceptions.....................................

Not my decision but, it would be a good step in the right direction.
This would however create a conundrum for any overseas clubs both now and in the future.

Would it be reasonable to expect Catalan / Toulouse and any new N. American clubs to send their full academy squads to the UK to fulfil their fixtures and equally as important, would the UK based clubs think it worthwhile to fund overseas trips for their full academy squads and staff.
There would have to be some provision for this and certainly in Catalan and Toulouse case, it makes more sense for them to develop their youngsters in France.
Also, where do we go with shared academies (both UK and if they were to happen elsewhere) ?
Re: Future of the Game Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:37 pm  
Ste100Centurions User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Donnyman wrote:

I would say yes to this & add that Leigh obviously being my Club of choice don't have an official Academy *loose links to Tommy Sale Youth development* & would be happy for the club to be forced into forming & funding an official Club Academy.

It is my understanding that an Academy can be run for the price of one good player, source is Lee Briers *published*.
Re: Future of the Game Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:24 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

wrencat1873 wrote:
Not my decision but, it would be a good step in the right direction.This would however create a conundrum for any overseas clubs both now and in the future.

Would it be reasonable to expect Catalan / Toulouse and any new N. American clubs to send their full academy squads to the UK

:D :D :D let it go mate, read the report on expansion that was publicised by reporter John Davison and others that came from the committee that decided on Toronto's future. That report went beyond clubs in North America, it also focused on what France brought to Superleague.

For a long time now people have ignored the definition of "expansion". Even Eric Perez did not do this. he told Dave Woods in an interview that TWP planned to expand the player pool with North American players and and expand TV contracts with North American paying TV deals.

Go back to Toulouse asking the SL bosses to give them a Superleague place. In a dinner in Toulouse. Ian Lenegan and several other SL bosses said that Toulouse had to produce french SL quality players and find paying French TV deals before they would be admitted.

We can "expand" the game geographically tomorrow and admit Toulouse, New York, Ottawa and re-instate Toronto. Make it a transcontinental 16 club league. How would YOU balance the books if they did??

Expansion is more money and more players....It's not more air miles......
Re: Future of the Game Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:36 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

Ste100Centurions wrote:
I would say yes to this & add that Leigh obviously being my Club of choice don't have an official Academy *loose links to Tommy Sale Youth development* & would be happy for the club to be forced into forming & funding an official Club Academy.

It is my understanding that an Academy can be run for the price of one good player, source is Lee Briers *published*.

I remember Koukash scrubbing the Salford academy which was frowned upon but the idea was all the best kids were going elsewhere. Then people named some excellent players who had gone through Salfords academy :D . Now the focus seems to be for SL clubs to run reserves, albeit all that talk disappeared with the Virus. But it's certain that come 2022 all SL clubs will have criteria to meet on development, that starts with the development foundations, then the academies, then the reserves.

It could not be more important to the game, there has to be the talent.............
Re: Future of the Game Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:32 am  

User avatarUllFC wrote:
UllFC User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Read a really positive story about Newcastle, its been clear they have been growing for a while. The stadium is good and it seems Newcastle Falcons treating them fairly. And sounds like they've been using their time away from playing growing their community team.

It sounds like it's been going so well that I hope the RFL and SL keep out with their mad ideas and let it grow naturally. They'd probably insist they change their name to Newcastle-Sunderland Black & Red Sox and shove them in some boom or bust one off game for some unnecessary drama ;)

They and York seem good medium term options for a larger Super League, and geographically they'd be fairly close rivals also. If the World Cup game goes well in Middlesbrough a chance to fill in the gap between the two there also.
PreviousNext