WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Future of the Game

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Future of the Game

Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:54 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:
He's signed the players and will sign more if Leigh are allowed in, they did fine last time they were in Superleague.

So now you answer my question......How on earth could Toronto Wolfpack be ready to play in superleague next March if they were re-admitted

I can't wait to hear from you? :SUBMISSION: :SUBMISSION:

Has he actually signed them or saying that he will/could ?

As for Toronto (or any other club that may be "promoted"), they would have to sign a whole raft of players in order to try and compete in the top flight, which would make staying in the top flight extremely difficult.
Assembling a squad, pre season training, which for most clubs will start within just a few weeks of the current season ending makes it one hell of an uphill battle and all this without the usual S/T revenue - a problem for every club in SL, Championship and League 1.
It's going to be an interesting close season for all clubs and there are going to be some very deep pockets and nerves of steel required for all clubs, players and maybe even the fans.
Without the return of the fans, which looks very unlikely at the moment, I would expect a number of clubs to withdraw.

Referring back to the thread title, "the future of the game" looks very, very uncertain and it would be wise, even at this early stage to postpone the world cup.
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:15 am  

The Silent H wrote:
The Silent H Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

[quote="Donnyman"]
Did you miss all the new fans, media coverage and new sponsors?

That is growth and the game is better for it.

It should be nurtured, not discarded like you wish to happen.
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:53 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

[quote="The Silent H"]

Problem is, Silent, the new owner(s) will be comparatively short of cash and even if covid permits, they look likely to be another "Crusaders".
Taking a slice of the SL cash, which Tronoto should have already been getting and probably not able to fund flights and accommodation, turn the N .American fixture into an additional significant expense and this, at a time, when most SL clubs will be less able to cope with the additional cost's.

I know that there was talk of a review into how best to make N. America work for RL and it would be interesting to see the results of that review (if it has taken place) but, perhaps the energies of those desperate for RL to work over there, should be spent on finding a way to encourage grass roots RL, which ultimately, is the only way for the game to properly expand into new areas - a far from simple task.
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:30 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

[quote="The Silent H" That is growth.]

You made that up just to get a reaction.

For the sake of those posters who just want a straight analysis of the reality, Mr. Perez defined "growth" as a growth in the number of North American players being developed into professionals and the growth in the TV money coming from NATV broadcasters.

Mr. Perez can be seen and heard in his introductory interview with Dave Woods outlining the growth he sought.

What you posted was made up for a wind up........

For me though it was an opportunity to remind people how TWP achieved absolutely nothing positive......................By their own definition :D
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:35 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

[quote="wrencat1873" Taking a slice of the SL cash, which Tronoto should have already been getting]

They set out to get their own NATV money.

They were warned in advance of entering SL that the SKY money was for the English clubs.

Perez replied to that by saying any NATV deal he would get for TWP would therefore be kept by TWP, and that would apply even if it was a very big deal.

So why make up the idea TWP should have got SKY money?
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:43 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

wrencat1873 wrote:

As for Toronto (or any other club that may be "promoted"), they would have to sign a whole raft of players in order to try and compete in the top flight, which would make staying in the top flight extremely difficult.

That's a much better point. This is why Livolsi demanded a 3 year guaranteed run in Superleague.

How do you think English clubs who may be relegated to accommodate this think about that? Like your Mr. Carter, or Mr. Davey??

How do you think English clubs who collapsed like Bradford and Widnes who were heavily penalised would think about that??

Livolsi was asking for special treatment which we haven't seen since Les Catalans were given that.
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:58 pm  

The Silent H wrote:

[quote="Donnyman"]
I hope you take solace in your Perez quotes if Toronto are allowed back in. Though I don't know why you keep quoting as he is at a different club. It's irrelevant now.
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:10 pm  

The Silent H wrote:

Donnyman wrote:
That's a much better point. This is why Livolsi demanded a 3 year guaranteed run in Superleague.

How do you think English clubs who may be relegated to accommodate this think about that? Like your Mr. Carter, or Mr. Davey??

How do you think English clubs who collapsed like Bradford and Widnes who were heavily penalised would think about that??

Livolsi was asking for special treatment which we haven't seen since Les Catalans were given that.

What you want is to dumb the sport down to the lowest denominator. It's about the overall sport of rl, not ensuring that the sport remains small to allow the small clubs to compete. Bradford and Widnes are where they are due to their own making and mismanagement, argueable like Toronto. The three cases unlike what you keep posting, are independent of each other.
Re: Future of the Game Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:49 am  
little wayne69 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:

A couple of quick points for you here squire, firstly is Livolsi demanding a 3 year guarantee run in super league as you imply, or is Livolsi just asking for special treatment to run in super league as you seem to imply he's trying to do both, secondly if Toronto win back their place in super league it will return to the 12 team league, if they don't then presumably and I say presumably not because I like spelling it twice but because unlike you I don't know and don't play guessing games, would it not be simpler to promote a championship side using what ever criteria they think fit, which ever they choose it would be interesting to know why you think that our :roll: Mr Carter or Mr Davey should be more concerned than most other clubs, and I chose that word because it seems to me that all you are doing is trying once again to steer this round to your pet hate that being the inclusion of NA teams.
Re: Future of the Game Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:36 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

little wayne69 wrote:
Is Livolsi demanding a 3 year guarantee run in super league as you imply

Why ask me? You clearly didn't like me coming on here trying to discuss the game instead of all the nasty petty personal battles that ruin each thread?

I don't "Imply" anything it was clearly reported that Livolsi did not want to bankroll Toronto Wolfpack without a guarantee he would be doing this in the Superleague in the coming seasons (plural). It appears to have slipped everyone's notice that Toronto Wolfpack didn't have a playing squad adequate to handle Superleague last year and given they have lost players and lost the trust of probably most players still open to signing for them they will be odds on the be battered every week in 2021 and favourites to be relegated.

Why should Livolsi want to invest $$Millions in that? Don't you think Argyle chucked it in because he'd gone from winning all the time to losing? Or do you swallow the idea a $Billionaire who spent only $Millions on them was financially ruined by Covid? You tell me how that actually worked? SO Yes Livolsi wants a guarantee to be playing in SL 2021, 2022 & 2023 to give him chance to build the squad back up competetive levels.

Mr, Beaumont may point out his relegated Leigh team didn't get any such special treatment and didn't even come bottom when they were in Superleage. Currently Mr. Beaumont is offering to invest more heavily in his team if Superleague want a 12th. club that can compete.

Everyone thought TWP would get their answer Friday so that Livolsi could pay players, re-sign Sonny and re-assemple a squad. But if you look at their web site they have been told they will get an answer in two to three weeks. I don't know exactly why for certain the can is being kicked down the road but in doing this Superleague are certainly making sure that every decent player available for 2021 will be signed up.

Just my opinion (I prefer opinions to posters insulting people) that the can is being kicked down the road in the hope Livolsi is the one to pull the plug on Toronto Wolfpack and therefore the North American Dream rather than the Superleague having to do this and face the massive barrage of accusations they are backward thinking and parochial.

I don't think SL can say yes when several clubs have said no, not over their dead bodies.

The idea of Superleague being split apart, Toronto Wolfpack given a three year license, and the leading club amongst Championship clubs with SL ambitions to be ignored seems to me totally unthinkable,,,,,,,........
PreviousNext