Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:25 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

snowie wrote:
its supposed to be :lol:

It's always "in a fortnight" mate.

A serious question here, when is the new season supposed to start, has it been decided yet and, more importantly, just how is any club going to sell season tickets, the proceeds of which, usually help sustain clubs through the winter ?
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:07 am  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

wrencat1873 wrote:
It's always "in a fortnight" mate.

A serious question here, when is the new season supposed to start, has it been decided yet and, more importantly, just how is any club going to sell season tickets, the proceeds of which, usually help sustain clubs through the winter ?
normally feb but I can see it being pushed back a month or so, as for season tickets that is up in the air who knows they may ask for donations
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:17 am  
little wayne69 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:
Well we said that last time and it brought no decision on the day at all. I can't see any announcement today either, but something will have to give in the coming days.

Beaumont has pulled off a masterstroke offering to fully fund Leigh putting together a competitive SL standard team, something he did last time in Superleague. Saying "no" to Leigh is pretty much saying "no" to other ambitious English clubs including York and Newcastle in the here and now and Bradford and Widnes for the future.

It's saying yes to Ottawa, New York and any others who also want to muck about pretending to grow RL in North America despite not having any rich owners. It's saying to Wakefield, Fartown, Salford HKR and Cas that a new influx of NA members are to be encouraged to replace them hence we know where their votes are going.

And we also know that this time these clubs will not adopt the protocol of taking a first vote to assess the support for the motion, then taking a second vote supporting the majority (this was done as regards the league structure) and showing a united front.

Any Superleague club that votes to continue the North American dream will create a massive rift in Superleague.

If Superleague vote to continue the American dream they will pretty much lose the top championship clubs.

The biggest issue of all though is Livolsi's ultimatum that he is not going to bankroll TWP for one season whilst P&R effectively removes them anyway.

This then brings into the equation clubs like Bradford and Widnes and others who were heavily penalised over the seasons for misdemeanours on a scale nothing like TWP,s owner just walking away mid-season.

Then finally there is erm SKY. SKY want nine English clubs in Superleague as Pearson said some time ago.

So for me the bottom line is it a choice between the killing the game here by following the American dream, or soldiering on as a well respected regional game beyond the 124 years we have soldiered on for to date. Hope you find this a better analysis than Mr. Sadlers effort on Monday??.

Your post is speculative at best, designed I suspect to cause mischief, same old same old with the odd alleged quote too far back for anybody to have any inclination to check, as for that comic seller I often wondered where you got imfo from, in case you haven't guessed yet he makes these things up to sell his papers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:52 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

little wayne69 wrote:
Your post is speculative at best, designed I suspect to cause mischief, same old same old with the odd alleged quote too far back for anybody to have any inclination to check, as for that comic seller I often wondered where you got imfo from, in case you haven't guessed yet he makes these things up to sell his papers :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still dont get how or why Newcastle and York get to leapfrog every other club who may want to gain a place in the top flight..
Last time that I checked and pre covid, there was a direct pathway into SL by winning the Championship Grand Final but, it seems like some would prefer to cherry pick their favourites, rather than have them actually "gain" promotion via the agreed route.
This thread is now 209 pages long and has move barely a millimetre from the first page.

We still await news on Toronoto and any decision on what happens if they cant/dont come back, ie moving to an 11 club comp or, "promoting" a different club by some unknown means.

Leigh are making plenty of noise to show that they COULD be ready but, much as I like Leigh and their fans :wink:, I'm not sure that a place should be theirs, anymore than it should go to Featherstone, London or Toulouse (or anyone else).

How on earth could a club gain promotion in such circumstances.

Maybe "we" could raffle a place in SL and use the proceeds to pay off the Toronto players :oops:
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:46 pm  
little wayne69 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

wrencat1873 wrote:
I still dont get how or why Newcastle and York get to leapfrog every other club who may want to gain a place in the top flight..
Last time that I checked and pre covid, there was a direct pathway into SL by winning the Championship Grand Final but, it seems like some would prefer to cherry pick their favourites, rather than have them actually "gain" promotion via the agreed route.
This thread is now 209 pages long and has move barely a millimetre from the first page.

We still await news on Toronoto and any decision on what happens if they cant/dont come back, ie moving to an 11 club comp or, "promoting" a different club by some unknown means.

Leigh are making plenty of noise to show that they COULD be ready but, much as I like Leigh and their fans :wink:, I'm not sure that a place should be theirs, anymore than it should go to Featherstone, London or Toulouse (or anyone else).

Maybe "we" could raffle a place in SL and use the proceeds to pay off the Toronto players :oops:

Maybe it's the term millionaire owner if your one of those then you get a mention by him, although I'm not sure if he knows how much a millionaire is worth, he's certainly clueless how much a billionaire is worth :lol:
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 pm  

The Silent H wrote:
The Silent H Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

[quote="Donnyman"]
You quite well within your right to continue your doomsday prophecies, but whilst you do so, you ignore the opportunities for the game to grow and the financial implications of not doing so.

Maybe the list of said clubs should raise there game and welcome the challenge instead of putting a stranglehold on the games potential.

Once again I have no idea why these clubs even get the right to have a vote It's a perfect example of conflicts of interests. The decision should be made by an independent commission.
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:22 pm  

User avatarBudgiezilla wrote:
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Toronto will be back in SL despite the fact they 'quit' the 2020 season. No way will clubs vote to allow a 'random' championship club to take their place, or go with 11 clubs with would result in a lopsided fixture list. Franklly I'm past caring (with what's going on in the world right now) so when they are allowed back in, good luck to them.
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:35 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Budgiezilla wrote:
Toronto will be back in SL despite the fact they 'quit' the 2020 season. No way will clubs vote to allow a 'random' championship club to take their place, or go with 11 clubs with would result in a lopsided fixture list. Franklly I'm past caring (with what's going on in the world right now) so when they are allowed back in, good luck to them.

Who are this "Toronto Wolfpack" you speak of?

"They" stopped trading months ago when the rich owner left. "They" pretend they have a CEO but Hunter is actually retired and is mucking about with Livolsi who has had no real interest and won't spend anything unless this empty shell of a supposed club, that has no assets - players have either left or have had their contracts broken - and no staff, are guaranteed a three year run in Superleague.

When they were a real club they had a Millionaire owner and an ambition to grow rugby league in North America on the back of the world cup being played there. So tell me is the world cup still being played there? Tell me if it's not are either the USA or Canada going to be in the World cup next year??

How healthy is Rugby League in North America? How many people play it there? How much investment is there in the game there? How many people pay to watch it there? You really think we should stick a North American club in Superleague of all places in a season in which the World Cup excludes mainland North America. If you want to develop the game in North America then open up a Superleague place for Kingston in Jamaica.

Or do you view that as absurd??...... If you do then do you not get it that Toronto Wolfpack are now an "absurdity?"

Imagine a North American "in name only" English club, with no North American players or fans playing a whole superleague season at random venues here? Exactly for what purpose? Who in North America would actually take any notice at all of that?

And where do you think they will be in the table. When the last owner was spending full cap and spending on a massive Marquee talent they could not even win a game and were bottom of the league. What exact "Results" do you expect them to come up with next year? Maybe pinch some wins against Fartown and Wakey eh? Tell me where will they get the players for that?

Any decent quality SL player who they could sign will have an offer from Derek Beaumont.

But of course leigh are useless and would not be an assett to Superleague would they, after all last time they were in Superleague they didn't come bottom, they won games, they beat Wigan .....How did TWP go?
Last edited by Donnyman on Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:49 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

[quote="The Silent H" You ignore the opportunities for the game to grow.]

:lol: :lol: :lol: We had this phoney club for 4 years. Then it instantly collapsed to nothing, as did the world cup in North America..

That you call that "growth" speaks volumes......

TWP are defunct, as defunct as Mansfield Marksmen or Southend Invicta.

Even Perez has said they way Toronto were "doing it" in terms of growing the game was the wrong way :lol: :lol: :lol:

The opportunity for real growth arguably exists in the Ottawa "model" which you have ignored to get a reaction.
Re: Future of the Game Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:03 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

[quote="wrencat1873" ]

Leigh are making plenty of noise to show that they COULD be ready...............

[/quote]

He's signed the players and will sign more if Leigh are allowed in, they did fine last time they were in Superleague.

So now you answer my question......How on earth could Toronto Wolfpack be ready to play in superleague next March if they were re-admitted

I can't wait to hear from you? :SUBMISSION: :SUBMISSION:
PreviousNext