WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Future of the Game

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Future of the Game

Re: Future of the Game Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:05 am  
little wayne69 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:
Manchester already has a couple of resident pro-RL clubs. Aren't Toronto based there? Aren't Ottawa also basing themselves there?

little wayne69 wrote:
Does Manchester have a couple of pro resident RL clubs? Salford is a city in it's own right, Rochdale, Oldham, Swinton and Leigh are towns in Greater Manchester making five(5) teams in all, unless your question is a rhetorical one concerning the two(2) NA teams in which case Ottawa are not yet a pro RL club in this country and as for Toronto, that's anybody's guess with them unless Lenaghan's been on the phone to you again.

Donnyman wrote:
Ottawa were accepted to the leagues, and Ottawa have appointed a coach and have been building a professional squad.
Trying to discredit me must be tough Wayne when you yourself make incorrect statements

Not sure how I'm trying to discredit you Dude, I asked if your question vis a vie Toronto and Ottawa were rhetorical questions because Manchester does not have any pro rugby league teams but there are 5 clubs come under the umbrella of Greater Manchester if that helps you at all, As for the 2 NA teams which is presumably who you are on about, can you point out which league or leagues as you prefer are in because there seems some confusion on your part as to whether they are actually in Manchester, so pardon me if I can't keep up with your machinations.
Re: Future of the Game Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:29 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

little wayne69 wrote:
Not sure how I'm trying to discredit you Dude, I asked if your question vis a vie Toronto and Ottawa were rhetorical questions because Manchester does not have any pro rugby league teams but there are 5 clubs come under the umbrella of Greater Manchester if that helps you at all, As for the 2 NA teams which is presumably who you are on about, can you point out which league or leagues as you prefer are in because there seems some confusion on your part as to whether they are actually in Manchester, so pardon me if I can't keep up with your machinations.

Ottawa are going to have to go some to make it into SL for 2021.
Assuming that they start in League 1, they would need to blag their way into the Championship final next season (and win) to make it into SL for 2022. Mind you, so will Newcastle :wink:
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:06 am  

The Silent H wrote:
The Silent H Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

[quote="Donnyman"]
What a load of nonsense.

Saying Yes to toronto doesn't affect Leigh and definitely not Newcastle because they are in different leagues. Wht Leigh are trying to do is take a Super League place without earning it. Something you would be vehemently opposed to if roles were reversed.
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:36 am  
WestEndThinker Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

[quote="The Silent H"]
But Leigh are in the 'heartlands' so qualify by right, surely?

It is utter nonsense, and these whimsical ideals of an ageing generation are the very core of what holds RL back in the UK, from commentary to participation at a local level, it is all dead mens shoes.
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:11 am  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

well lets see what today brings :)
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:14 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

[quote="The Silent H" saying yes to Toronto doesn't affect leigh]

You know full well it does. Anyway not for you, but for others who may just be reading the thread. (The "Silent Majority" :wink: )

Saying yes to Toronto means saying yes to Ottawa once they follow Toronto's path to Superleague and saying yes to New York and saying yes to any other NA club.

As was said, and as is conveniently ignored just to keep a lost argument going Superleague said that this wasn't about Toronto in isolation, considerations had to be made about the whole North American dream. There is no point to Toronto in Superleague on their own for year after year. There is no poiint if they don't develop players or bring in TV deals.

As Perez himself stated to get North American TV deals there has to be at least 5-6 North American clubs in Superleague to attract an NATV deal so that means the demise of such as Wakey, Salford, Cas. HKR or whoever, that means SKY pull the plug. As always you dance on the head of a pin to get reactions, and for the umpteenth time you try to hold an argument by conveniently ignoring the far far bigger picture. The smaller clubs know that they are the sacrifical lambs for the Transatlantic Dream hence several have already said a categorical "NO"

As for the bigger clubs take St. Helens. McManus stated "TWP is a team of English and Antipodeans. They have got to start producing NA players but they face strong competition from NA rugby Union" It's also been a tacit no from top clubs who would not share any TV money on principle not greed. Who knows exactly what will happen in the coming days but we do know exactly what has happened in the many days to date.

Perez achieved non of his ambitions for TWP and NA Rugby Union strangled Toronto Wolfpack........
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:25 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

little wayne69 wrote:
Pardon me if I can't keep up with your machinations.

That's OK. It's complicated, but all will be revealed in the coming days.....

The decision that has to be made is put simply do we carry on with the North American Dream??.

Not even Martyn Sadler seems to get this as he thinks TWP can stay and be an asset to Superleague promoting the game in "York, Newcastle and Bristol"

Astonishingly they are supposedly in SL to promote the game to Vancouver, New York, Ottawa and Montreal etc................
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:02 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

snowie wrote:

Well we said that last time and it brought no decision on the day at all. I can't see any announcement today either, but something will have to give in the coming days.

Beaumont has pulled off a masterstroke offering to fully fund Leigh putting together a competitive SL standard team, something he did last time in Superleague. Saying "no" to Leigh is pretty much saying "no" to other ambitious English clubs including York and Newcastle in the here and now and Bradford and Widnes for the future.

It's saying yes to Ottawa, New York and any others who also want to muck about pretending to grow RL in North America despite not having any rich owners. It's saying to Wakefield, Fartown, Salford HKR and Cas that a new influx of NA members are to be encouraged to replace them hence we know where their votes are going.

And we also know that this time these clubs will not adopt the protocol of taking a first vote to assess the support for the motion, then taking a second vote supporting the majority (this was done as regards the league structure) and showing a united front.

Any Superleague club that votes to continue the North American dream will create a massive rift in Superleague.

If Superleague vote to continue the American dream they will pretty much lose the top championship clubs.

The biggest issue of all though is Livolsi's ultimatum that he is not going to bankroll TWP for one season whilst P&R effectively removes them anyway.

This then brings into the equation clubs like Bradford and Widnes and others who were heavily penalised over the seasons for misdemeanours on a scale nothing like TWP,s owner just walking away mid-season.

Then finally there is erm SKY. SKY want nine English clubs in Superleague as Pearson said some time ago.

So for me the bottom line is it a choice between the killing the game here by following the American dream, or soldiering on as a well respected regional game beyond the 124 years we have soldiered on for to date. Hope you find this a better analysis than Mr. Sadlers effort on Monday??.
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:03 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

snowie wrote:

Is there a big "reveal" today ?
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:21 am  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member