WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Future of the Game

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Future of the Game

Re: Future of the Game Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:44 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

puroresu_boy wrote:
And the numbers show whatever they are doing isnt working.

So give us and explain the numbers then?

Rugby league is highly diverse, teams can be full of all shades of skin colour and ethnic origins.........

and I think you know it.......end of
Re: Future of the Game Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 am  

puroresu_boy wrote:
puroresu_boy Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Donnyman wrote:
So give us and explain the numbers then?

Rugby league is highly diverse, teams can be full of all shades of skin colour and ethnic origins.........

and I think you know it.......end of

Keep trying dude. If you wanna die on this hill be my guest.

“At grassroots level and in schools, more needs to be done. There’s a bottom-up approach and a top-down approach to consider and there isn’t as much being done as there should be. You’ve got to go into the area with a pathway and a clear idea of what you want to achieve. The time for talking has stopped.”

Less than 8% of players in the community game identify as black, Asian or minority ethnic, according to the Rugby Football League’s latest figures. When you count solely black players, the number is even lower.

There are problems at the top, too. Only five black players have represented England since 2011; in the same period, 12 have been capped by their union counterparts

If you think all is well and nothing to see here thats fine but I'll just go by what I see. That's those at the top all being white, those in the stands 99% being white and those on the field all being very much white.
Re: Future of the Game Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:12 pm  
Ste100Centurions User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

kobashi wrote:
Discrimination against white people in the police force. Are you being serious??

Yes, deadly serious, quotas & recruiting based on skin colour over ability aptitude & qualifications has long been enforced by the police force, it is a form of discrimination whereby a white person can be & sometimes is overlooked in favour of quotas, that is a negative.

Oh and if we are talking about quotas in sports. For the record what south Africa cricket did was totally correct as the circumstances required it.

I don't know anything about S.A Cricket so couldn't comment.

How can this be a bad thing?

Quotas & selection based on skin colour alone are a bad thing in all directions, whether that be choosing white over BAME or BAME over white, the point is you employ or select based on qualities & skill sets.

Edit.

Apologies kobashi, I tried to seperate or highlight my responses, been away from here for a long time & don't know what I've done there.
Re: Future of the Game Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:15 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

puroresu_boy wrote:
Keep trying dude. If you wanna die on this hill be my guest.

If you think all is well and nothing to see here thats fine but I'll just go by what I see. That's those at the top all being white, those in the stands 99% being white and those on the field all being very much white.

Cut the dude/die rubbish

If you think there is any discrimination in the game then point it out and call it out.

Let me know where anyone is discouraged from coming into Rugby League to play the game, organise the game or get tickets to a game because of the colour of their skin?

Jamie Jones-Buchanan has played the game for years, he goes to watch games, he works in the game and he is brilliant at encouraging the kids to play. He doesn't have any problem with discrimination and he'd be the first to call it out...

When I first started watching the game Roy Francis was a well respected top coach, and Clive Sullivan was captain of Great Britain...

Colin Dixon, Tony Banham, Frank Wilson and Dennis Brown were stand out players and I never came across racism, and as the years have gone by more and more such players have come through, although I an loathe to list them simply because of the colour of their skin.

No doubt there are individuals on the terraces who may harbour discriminatory thought but the idea there's a problem in the game is laughable.
Re: Future of the Game Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:01 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Ste100Centurions wrote:
Quotas & selection based on skin colour alone are a bad thing in all directions, whether that be choosing white over BAME or BAME over white, the point is you employ or select based on qualities & skill sets.

Edit.

Apologies kobashi, I tried to seperate or highlight my responses, been away from here for a long time & don't know what I've done there.

There are occasions where positive discrimination can help "boost" certain groups of people who had previously, for a number of reasons, been overlooked.
In an ideal world, it wouldn't be neccessary but, we dont live in an ideal world.
In sporting and RL terms, it would be a good thing for the sport if "we" could engage with all parts of society and certainly, there is a dearth of people from certain groups either playing or watching our sport.
Belle Vue, Wakefield is in an area with a large "Asian" population but, there are very, very few that seem interested enough to go to the games.
Some of the kids will ask "who won" when you're leaving the ground but, surely, as a sport, we should be generating a little more interest than that.
Re: Future of the Game Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:24 pm  

kobashi wrote:
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Donnyman wrote:
Cut the dude/die rubbish

If you think there is any discrimination in the game then point it out and call it out.

Let me know where anyone is discouraged from coming into Rugby League to play the game, organise the game or get tickets to a game because of the colour of their skin?

Jamie Jones-Buchanan has played the game for years, he goes to watch games, he works in the game and he is brilliant at encouraging the kids to play. He doesn't have any problem with discrimination and he'd be the first to call it out...

When I first started watching the game Roy Francis was a well respected top coach, and Clive Sullivan was captain of Great Britain...

Colin Dixon, Tony Banham, Frank Wilson and Dennis Brown were stand out players and I never came across racism, and as the years have gone by more and more such players have come through, although I an loathe to list them simply because of the colour of their skin.

No doubt there are individuals on the terraces who may harbour discriminatory thought but the idea there's a problem in the game is laughable.

You are missing the point completely. Nobody has said rugby league has discrimination problem. Rugby league in this country has a problem with a lack of non whites either playing the game or watching the game.

Again this is not because of discrimination. I am not sure why you thought people said it was. Nobody has claimed that so I really unsure what you are reading in here as you are clearly missing the main points. Why can't you accept that the for all the good that rugby league in this country has done in accepting all races, religion etc etc over last 125 years it is now a sorry state for non white participation.

It's like you just wanna brush it under the carpet and not actually try to reverse the trend. Doing nothing will achieve nothing so in 5 years time the numbers will be even lower.

Also now go and ask Jamie Jones-Buchanan why people of the same colour of him are in ridiculous low numbers when it comes to being in the stands and why are less black athletes playing the game. I am sure he would like to see this trend reversed with some actual action plans put in place.
Re: Future of the Game Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:23 pm  
48756c6c20 524c4643 User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

puroresu_boy wrote:
And the numbers show whatever they are doing isnt working.

I dont see why it is so difficult to understand. If we want more girls to play and watch the game you would expect there to be specific tailored processes to encourage girls to pick up a ball as one rule for all clearly isnt the answer.

This should be no different when targeting ethnic minorities.

If you want change in a boardroom you can actively seek to make that happen ie

How does this differ when you want to try and get more diversity with those that play the game? It doesnt. While you cannot guarantee BAME or females will want to play the game it doesnt stop you doing the most possible to try and make it happen.

Define what the "most possible" is? Also what is 'not doing enough'? If doing the most possible (whatever that is) has an overall detrimental effect on inclusivity/participation numbers how would you address that?

I played masters last year for first time in years, a week or so later was at a b/day party and starting chatting to a friend of the friend whom I didn't know, his parents were born in HK moved here in the 70s IIRC, I asked if he was into sport as he looked quite athletic (always after recruits for masters) and he said yeah, a bit of soccer but really enjoyed rugby at school, however his parents were really against him playing it. Told him he had to focus on other things and this was apparently quite common place within his cultural background.
I asked if he fancied coming along maybe for next season (as in 2020) and said he'd be well up for it. There's definitely more to the mix than some realise,

Additionally there's a significant difference between people riding bikes, predominantly white males, not just at sport level but just every day normal cycling, a lady who wrote a blog recently clearly stated that due to cultural reasons girls/women particularly from BAME backgrounds just didn't cycle, https://www.2wheelchick.cc/2019/01/wome ... is-it.html so cycling/having a bike was not common, this can fed down through generations. And with the status that driving a car has, that in itself has had an impact on people riding a bike for transport from all backgrounds which is the next step from tootling about as small ones.

Do we want inclusivity for all, absolutely, however your oversimplification of the matter at hand and of targeting/focusing isn't always going to reap what you sow no matter if you do the "most possible", and it could easily have a detrimental effect overall.

And there is absolutely a difference between getting board members from diverse backgrounds compared to getting people to pick up a ball/play.
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:57 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

kobashi wrote:
You are missing the point completely. Go and ask Jamie Jones-Buchanan why people of the same colour of him are in ridiculous low numbers when it comes to being in the stands and why are less black athletes playing the game. I am sure he would like to see this trend reversed with some actual action plans put in place.

What colour is he? People in the game come in all shades of "colour".

The whole idea is we should not see or define people for their colour, as for "action plans" your the one advocating action tell us all what you would do?
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:01 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

48756c6c20 524c4643 wrote:

Do we want inclusivity for all, absolutely,

Well we have actually got it. Unless anyone can come up with some testimonies from people who have been excluded from Rugby League for the colour of their skin, their gender, their age or a disability etc........

He's either spectacularly wrong or bored due to lockdown and using this for sport.
Re: Future of the Game Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:16 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Free-scoring winger

Ste100Centurions wrote:
Anyway, I have forgotten the cut off date for the TW re-application & review, can someone remind me please ?

It's reported that the re-application decision could come as early as next Friday but the decision may drag a day or two.

SBW is reported as not going to play NRL again after this year (he may go to Boxing) and is apparently poised to complete his Toronto deal for another $5M (not that I know whether he's got the first $5 million yet)?

As the pandemic takes a strong grip and presents problems for the winter here it's doubtful Williams will ever see Toronto. If Livolsi gets the nod he's possibly looking at having to play all TWP fixtures here - something Perez said he'd do with Ottawa.

There have been some perhaps gross assumptions made that Covid will somehow be less of a problem next year if at all. Livolsi may end up effectively buying a club that will be more North American in name only with a star player who won't attract any fans and won't go away until Livolsi pays him at least $5Million, plus anything unpaid from last year.

No wonder Livolsi is desperate for the couple of Million SKY money.....
PreviousNext