WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Future of the Game

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Future of the Game

Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:56 am  
knockonknockon Stevo's Armpit

FlexWheeler wrote:
Clubs with more ethnic minority players should get extra points on the league ladder.

This will encourage diversity and equal opportunities for marginalised communities.

:lol: do you work for the bbc? :lol: :lol:
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:03 am  
Ste100Centurions User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Anyway, I have forgotten the cut off date for the TW re-application & review, can someone remind me please ?
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:07 am  

The Silent H wrote:
The Silent H Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

I wonder if any of the clubs have Diversity and Inclusion strategies or policies?
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:09 am  

The Silent H wrote:
The Silent H Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Ste100Centurions wrote:
Anyway, I have forgotten the cut off date for the TW re-application & review, can someone remind me please ?

Friday October 23 I believe.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:33 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Ste100Centurions wrote:

It's always "in a fortnight" :wink:
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:44 am  

puroresu_boy wrote:
puroresu_boy Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Donnyman wrote:
:shock:

So what about old people then? Thank heavens we have some tremendous people running Masters Rugby league.

Can't we just promote the game to all human beings as we are doing and stop picking out groups?

I think we already do with fantastic strides in the area of ladies RL and Disability RL too.

Nice in theory but it doesnt work like that. When an organisation seeks to be more diverse they will actively try and recruit people of colour, disabled, gay etc etc etc. There is nothing wrong with as doing nothing leads to nothing.

It's not picking out groups, its taking action to try and expand the reach of the game beyond the current demographic. A demographic I will add that is shrinking.

The ECB with the plans to engage the south asian community speaks volumes. Cricket is loved by that community so in theory there should be thousands of kids playing cricket but there clearly isnt so the question is why not?

Its no good just hoping they will pick up a bat and ball. You need to ask them why they are not playing, what can be done to get them playing and go from there. There is no negative as the more people playing and watching the game is only a good thing.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:50 pm  

kobashi wrote:
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

puroresu_boy wrote:
Nice in theory but it doesnt work like that. When an organisation seeks to be more diverse they will actively try and recruit people of colour, disabled, gay etc etc etc. There is nothing wrong with as doing nothing leads to nothing.

It's not picking out groups, its taking action to try and expand the reach of the game beyond the current demographic. A demographic I will add that is shrinking.

The ECB with the plans to engage the south asian community speaks volumes. Cricket is loved by that community so in theory there should be thousands of kids playing cricket but there clearly isnt so the question is why not?

Its no good just hoping they will pick up a bat and ball. You need to ask them why they are not playing, what can be done to get them playing and go from there. There is no negative as the more people playing and watching the game is only a good thing.

Also remember the ECB are trying to understand why South Asian community are not in the stands to watch cricket games when it's a sport loved by many.

Take an area like Bradford. Has the football or rugby league club ever done anything to engage the Asian community??
Last edited by kobashi on Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 pm  

kobashi wrote:
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Ste100Centurions wrote:
I take issue with "positive discrimination" as it is termed, in order to choose a "person of colour" over a white skinned person just to achieve numbers or percentages on a chart or checklist, surely selecting the best person for the job is the right thing to do regardless of skin colour ? You see this type of discrimination against white people throughout the police force NHS & so on. That is not to say that we/employers can't do more to encourage ethnic groups to aspire to & apply for jobs or take up sports, I just don't believe there is anything "positive" about discrimination, "positive discrimination" or otherwise as every positive has a negative in this particular case.

I would however, if say fortunate enough to be owner or major shareholder of my local pro club be making moves to create, include & promote links to & with Bolton & in particular the Asian & African/Caribbean communities, even going so far as helping create an amateur affiliated RL Club as there is potentially a huge untapped population of young men/women who could turn to, enjoy & compete in RL if they had a taste of what it could offer & not just to tick boxes, rather to further the outreach of the game & pick up some new supporters along the way.

There are ways & means to promote RL to ethnic populations without enforcing quotas on origin.

I am quite proud of the example RL sets on race equality & inclusion & I don't understand why English born has to be an issue, surely we should look at the whole picture of the origin of players employed in the U.K game which would paint a much brighter picture !

Discrimination against white people in the police force. Are you being serious?? Also where has rugby league ever talked about quotas. Oh and if we are talking about quotas in sports. For the record what south Africa cricket did was totally correct as the circumstances required it.

Back on to rugby league. Nobody is calling for quotas. What we want to see instead is a real plan to attract non white kids to play the game and have more more non whites interested in the game.

How can this be a bad thing?
Re: Future of the Game Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

kobashi wrote:

Back on to rugby league. Nobody is calling for quotas. What we want to see instead is a real plan to attract non white kids to play the game and have more more non whites interested in the game.

How can this be a bad thing?

Because RL has through the SL clubs foundations, and will continue to have, plans they already follow to engage kids no matter what their race or colour.

I think you know this. :wink:
Re: Future of the Game Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:36 am  

puroresu_boy wrote:
puroresu_boy Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Donnyman wrote:
Because RL has through the SL clubs foundations, and will continue to have, plans they already follow to engage kids no matter what their race or colour.

I think you know this. :wink:

And the numbers show whatever they are doing isnt working.

I dont see why it is so difficult to understand. If we want more girls to play and watch the game you would expect there to be specific tailored processes to encourage girls to pick up a ball as one rule for all clearly isnt the answer.

This should be no different when targeting ethnic minorities.

If you want change in a boardroom you can actively seek to make that happen ie

The RFU Board has made a new commitment to achieving a Board composition of 30% females and 15% BAME by 1 August 2022 latest. The current board of 14 consists of four females members and by 2022 there will be two BAME members.

How does this differ when you want to try and get more diversity with those that play the game? It doesnt. While you cannot guarantee BAME or females will want to play the game it doesnt stop you doing the most possible to try and make it happen.
Last edited by puroresu_boy on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext