Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Kruise & Muizz at Leeds
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell
Re: Black players in RL Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:52 am  
little wayne69 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:
I don't think anyone should start counting. The game is full of Maories and south sea islanders but so what?

Where are we going with this????

There now seems to be two thread titles mixed into one here, the one you've just replied to is black players in rugby league, so on that basis the answer to your over the top number of question marks should be quite obvious, a minor irritation for you as I'm sure it will be turned around eventually to your favourite topic of TWP out, just have a bit of patience squire, no need to reply.
Re: Future of the Game Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:59 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Clearwing wrote:
Kruise & Muizz at Leeds

Are they English born ?
Re: Future of the Game Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:27 pm  

kobashi wrote:
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Donnyman wrote:
Kind of a reverse discrimination?

I think as much work as possible is done, especially via the foundations to target all the youngsters we possibly can to give them a chance of playing Rugby League....

Please don't "target" don't pick out communities because of their ethnic mix. "Black and Asian" players have been around years Lucius Banks was a black American who played professionally before the first world war, these lads and (lasses) should not be seen as another "group" or "community".

Schools don't discriminate, so when club foundations go into schools they go to promote the game to kids regardless. The game is full of all enthicities many from the other side of the world, and that's always been welcome............

While the ECB put together an action plan to to engage the Asian community.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/south-asian-action-plan

The aims of the strategy are to:

Create more opportunities for South Asian communities to engage with cricket, whether playing, supporting or working in the game

Remove the barriers to involvement and participation in cricket for South Asian players and fans

Build strong relationships between South Asian communities, ECB, counties, clubs and the cricket network

Use cricket to make a positive difference to communities

Why couldn't something like this be done in rugby league?
Re: Future of the Game Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:02 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

The Silent H wrote:
I actually agree with you on this.

Rl doesn't have the resources to focus on minority groups unfortunately.

The reverse of this would be, can RL afford to ignore any groups who may be interested in the sport.
Many RL grounds are situated in the poorer parts of the town's and cities that have RL clubs, particularly in West Yorkshire.
There is a significant number of ethnic minorities in Leeds, Wakefield, Leigh, Dewsbury, Batley, Huddersfield etc but, for whatever reason, there is a very low number of these groups that are engaged with our sport, either as players or spectators.

I think cricket is a totally different situation, with this being the national sport in many Asian countries and it's a much easier "sell" than RL.

For those of us that have had kids playing sport to any kind of reasonable level, it's almost a full time job ferrying them around to practice and matches and it takes a fair commitment for the parents.
Maybe, if the kids are from poorer or deprived areas, this just isn't possible.
However, the sport should try and find ways to engage with as many kids as possible.
Re: Future of the Game Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:11 pm  

kobashi wrote:
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Re: Future of the Game Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 pm  
Ste100Centurions User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I take issue with "positive discrimination" as it is termed, in order to choose a "person of colour" over a white skinned person just to achieve numbers or percentages on a chart or checklist, surely selecting the best person for the job is the right thing to do regardless of skin colour ? You see this type of discrimination against white people throughout the police force NHS & so on. That is not to say that we/employers can't do more to encourage ethnic groups to aspire to & apply for jobs or take up sports, I just don't believe there is anything "positive" about discrimination, "positive discrimination" or otherwise as every positive has a negative in this particular case.

I would however, if say fortunate enough to be owner or major shareholder of my local pro club be making moves to create, include & promote links to & with Bolton & in particular the Asian & African/Caribbean communities, even going so far as helping create an amateur affiliated RL Club as there is potentially a huge untapped population of young men/women who could turn to, enjoy & compete in RL if they had a taste of what it could offer & not just to tick boxes, rather to further the outreach of the game & pick up some new supporters along the way.

There are ways & means to promote RL to ethnic populations without enforcing quotas on origin.

I am quite proud of the example RL sets on race equality & inclusion & I don't understand why English born has to be an issue, surely we should look at the whole picture of the origin of players employed in the U.K game which would paint a much brighter picture !
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

kobashi wrote:
While the ECB put together an action plan to to engage the Asian community.

Create more opportunities for South Asian communities to engage with cricket, whether playing, supporting or working in the game

Remove the barriers to involvement and participation in cricket for South Asian players and fans

I used to play local football. around 1984 we played a whole side of lads of Asian origin and a side of carribean origin that had one white lad in it. We had the usual game, and as usual shook hands no matter who had kicked who in the game.

Those teams didn't exclude white people it's just that they were all mates from an area strong in Asian and Carribean heritage......

That area spawned a junior ARL side in the 1990's.

Never saw many lads of Carribean origin play for York RL saw and continue to see plenty of them playing for Huddersfield. It's not that York RL is discriminatory is it? Huddersfield has a significant community of people with Asian and Carribean heritage.

Lots of us probably have a heritage going back to scandinavian countries.

In the summer there are teams full of people of asian and carribean descent playing cricket round here. Maybe they should push the game to the "white" population. But I've never seen a real "white" man nor a real black person. All the RL players I have ever seen came and continue to come in all shades from the very blond Tex Evans through to the very dark Anthony Farrell.

But I as the vast majority of RL fans do, only ever saw them as great rugby league players.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:14 am  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

wrencat1873 wrote:

However, the sport should try and find ways to engage with as many kids as possible

:shock:

So what about old people then? Thank heavens we have some tremendous people running Masters Rugby league.

Can't we just promote the game to all human beings as we are doing and stop picking out groups?

I think we already do with fantastic strides in the area of ladies RL and Disability RL too.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 am  

FlexWheeler wrote:
FlexWheeler Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Clubs with more ethnic minority players should get extra points on the league ladder.

This will encourage diversity and equal opportunities for marginalised communities.
''I'm the most intelligent man here and I intend to keep us alive''

''The most intelligent, is that a fact?''

''it is, sheriff has a wife, so does Mr Odwyer, and you're a widower''

''Yeah, what does that have to do with anything?''

.......''smart men don't get married''
PreviousNext