WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Future of the Game

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Future of the Game

Re: Future of the Game Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:18 pm  

User avatarsnowie wrote:
snowie User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

JTCFJG wrote:
But you cannot answer the questions can you. You ask someone to 'give their head a shake' because you feel you know better. but you don't, do you?

It is true I am winding you up. It's what good hookers do with gobshites. Then they make them look stupid. Are you stupid? Surely not!

ooh you little scamp, are you Jimmy Lowes I claim my £5
Re: Future of the Game Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:11 pm  

User avatarBulls4 wrote:
Bulls4 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

It was pointed out many many pages ago (by me and others) that Catalan do have an academy. Of course you can’t force a team to field players from their own academies and in fairness Catalan only do what every other team do and field the team they wish. Until a rule is brought in to stipulate you must have X number of academy players they can’t be beaten with that same stick (perhaps a rule for this national league 2022).

I’ve no problem with a french side in the league. Likewise if Toulouse made it on merit god speed to them too. It’s a ferry or short plane ride and not a Toronto style journey. Id prefer the bulls in super league and a competitive french league of its own but that’s not on the cards right now.
Re: Future of the Game Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:09 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Bulls4 wrote:
It was pointed out many many pages ago (by me and others) that Catalan do have an academy.

I have checked this and the RFL/SL Academy league boasts of having clubs in it "from London to Newcastle".

So TWP are not a club that have an academy. They may have some sort of junior club below them playing locally in France but this is not a matter of tokenism. Superleague needs to be built on strong foundations and that starts with the clubs "foundations" promoting the junior game to bring youngsters in in numbers, then from that the best will go through the academies honing their skills playing at a high level with expert coaching. The very best like Elliot Whitehead and John Bateman are examples from Bradford.

I would suggest many of us are tired of token efforts by clubs like TWP and Catalans pretending they are doing something for the development of the game like Argylles pathetic "putting rugby balls in kids hands". Bradford need to be in Superleague so more Batemans and Whiteheads can be inspired to take up the game and have a player path to the very top of the game. They mustn't be blocked by phoney clubs.
Re: Future of the Game Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:17 pm  

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Ste100Centurions wrote:
I am a Leigh fan yes & I have always conceded that we should & hoped that we would run an academy, it's the only way to run a professional sport IMHO.

IIRC there was an idea that Salford and Leigh would share an academy. I believe Beaumont may well have been serious, Koukash not so much.

Moving forward the current requirement for SL clubs 2022 is set to be a reserves team. This being to keep more lads in the game for longer. I could see Leigh doing that if they can get back into Superlegue.
Re: Future of the Game Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 pm  

User avatarJTCFJG wrote:
JTCFJG User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Donnyman wrote:
I have checked this and the RFL/SL Academy league boasts of having clubs in it "from London to Newcastle".

So TWP are not a club that have an academy. They may have some sort of junior club below them playing locally in France but this is not a matter of tokenism. Superleague needs to be built on strong foundations and that starts with the clubs "foundations" promoting the junior game to bring youngsters in in numbers, then from that the best will go through the academies honing their skills playing at a high level with expert coaching. The very best like Elliot Whitehead and John Bateman are examples from Bradford.

I would suggest many of us are tired of token efforts by clubs like TWP and Catalans pretending they are doing something for the development of the game like Argylles pathetic "putting rugby balls in kids hands". Bradford need to be in Superleague so more Batemans and Whiteheads can be inspired to take up the game and have a player path to the very top of the game. They mustn't be blocked by phoney clubs.

Ya see, I knew you'd come round, Bulls to replace TWP with six or so loan players from Leeds, Hull (Minchella & Keyes) Cas and Warrington, playing at VP?

Read the last line of the RFL statement. 'No 'automatic' promotion.....(but there will be some promotion'? )

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/56 ... ting-july-

TBF I did suggest a 10 club SL to finish off this season. It might be 12 yet, but ey ho. Thee fools are like the Govt, they make it up as they go along! All good for the Bulls and the financial benefits if BIG games. This is like an Eastenders story line. ...but of course Shakespeare wrote those scripts. It was always thus! "How poor are they that have not patience? What wound did ever heal but by degrees?
'Great defence, always wins games, y'only have to score one more point than them. If tha does, tha'll win, if that doesn't tha'll lose, learn from it, more than the win last week.'. Peter Fox, 1980.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:58 am  

User avatarJTCFJG wrote:
JTCFJG User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/20 ... increases/

Average crowds for last year. IF SL invite one of these clubs, which one would the other clubs want in? Should Featherstone be given first option as they reached the GF last year? Or should (will) the other clubs be allowed to vote on their preferred option?
Last edited by JTCFJG on Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Great defence, always wins games, y'only have to score one more point than them. If tha does, tha'll win, if that doesn't tha'll lose, learn from it, more than the win last week.'. Peter Fox, 1980.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:27 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Donnyman wrote:

I would suggest that mainly, it's you that has a problem with Catalan & TWP being in SL.
Bradford do not NEED to be in SL. However, if they want to be in SL they NEED to improve, both on and off the pitch.

The search for the silver bullet will continue infinitum and it wont be Bradford (or Toronto) that save the game.

Have you been to Perpignan and seen their club and facilities, it all looks very real and certainly not phoney and it's a great place to watch and experience our sport.

They also hold the record attendance for a SL game (at Barcelona) but, if you think that's false, fair enough.

Back on topic, have you thought that, without Toronto and Catalan, SL may reduce to 10 clubs, which was being advocated by the big 4 no too many years ago.
Jamie Peacock was a massive advocate of this, although he changed his mind pretty quickly when he went accross to KR.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:32 pm  

User avatarJTCFJG wrote:
JTCFJG User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Pats plastic pitch wrote:
Yeah. To be honest without having a home game this will definitely affect revenue. But they’ve been allowed to throw millions at players, took on Tony Gigot and kallum Watkins to try and turn fortune around and it hasn’t worked out.

It’s hard to work out and with no championship competition it’s not straight forward to just cherry pick a team to compete in SL in 2021. But there needs to be consequences and actions taken by the RFL towards the Wolfpack. Time will tell

I agree but, I'm not sure that anything will happen, unless of course they go bust before the start of next season, which would necessitate that a change was made.
Assuming that The Championship doesn't get up and running again, there should only be 2 clubs in the reckoning for a SL place
Either, reinstate London as the relegated club or, install Fev, who were beaten finalists in The Championship play offs.

Mind you, everyone else needs to make it to the end of the season before anything can be looked at.

I'm not sure that, after saying that they would fulfil their fixtures, Toronto should be an automatic to retain their SL place.

Have there been any shenanigans here or has everything been open and honest - it's bloody difficult to tell from the outside looking in.
However, to go from, yes we will complete our fixtures in the UK to jacking in for the season, in the space of 10 days has a bloody awful smell about it.

It is clear that TWP are skint (for now at least). Does that mean wages not paid from now o and if so at least one civil suit for a few million from SBW ( will he go back to go NZ RU) and close to £500K from CW. The full be free agents very soon perhaps and with everyone up to salary cap where would they go? Would Featherstone be able to take on their wages (or half on loan until the season), does anyone else in SL have the spare capacity? Do the Championship have more leeway?

Any Championship club that would want to go up will need new players immediately, could they pay them on a pay to play basis? Which club would be best placed.

Might we be watching Bulls v Rhinos very soon?
Re: Future of the Game Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:08 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

JTCFJG wrote:
It is clear that TWP are skint (for now at least). Does that mean wages not paid from now o and if so at least one civil suit for a few million from SBW ( will he go back to go NZ RU) and close to £500K from CW. The full be free agents very soon perhaps and with everyone up to salary cap where would they go? Would Featherstone be able to take on their wages (or half on loan until the season), does anyone else in SL have the spare capacity? Do the Championship have more leeway?

Any Championship club that would want to go up will need new players immediately, could they pay them on a pay to play basis? Which club would be best placed.

Without any Championship fixtures, how the hell will any Championship club afford the (inflated) wages of ANY of the TWP players.
I would suggest that the vast majority will have the hatches well and truly battened down and not be looking to take on a penny of additional cost.

The only way for the TWP players would get any kind of gig at a Championship club is if TWP pay the vast majority of their wages.

Bradford getting promoted would be obscene, unless of course they can gain promotion on the field of play.
Re: Future of the Game Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:52 pm  

User avatarWillzay wrote:
Willzay User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

JTCFJG wrote:

Only if it’s a pre-season friendly.
Profit over Lives - The Tory way
PreviousNext