WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Red star Belgrade bid to join league 1

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Red star Belgrade bid to join league 1

Red star Belgrade bid to join league 1
Post Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:38 pm
Posted by Huddersfield1895 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:38 pm
Huddersfield1895 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 71
Rep Position: 249th / 77,932

Quiz Score: 0

Posted by Steph Curry on Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 pm
Steph Curry Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 51
Rep Position: 269th / 77,932

Absolutely fantastic news.

Jedva Cekam!
Years in existence and average attendance

Leigh Centurions - 100+ years / Circa 3k
Wakefield Wildcats - 100+ years / Circa 4k
Toronto Wolfpack - 3 years / 9k
Posted by Bartholemew Smythe on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:38 pm
Bartholemew Smythe User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 296th / 77,932

Good news for RSB ,as they`re a team who have actually got roots within Serbia. Hope they do well and are admitted.Not looking forward to the usual suspects derailling every thread to reinforce their stance.
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?
Posted by wrencat1873 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:00 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1188
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,932

rollin thunder wrote:
Here comes the flat cap local game for local people cry baby's

"They tek rrr jobzzz"

I dont think that Belgrade are but, Toronto on the other hand will have to rely on the UK and "Aus" for as long as I'm left breathing.
If we are to expand into new areas, it cannot be at the expense of existing clubs that are fulfilling their obligations to develop young players atc, it's just wrong and in the long term will kill the game.
As I said, Belgrade dont come into this category and aren't 3500 miles away so, good luck to them.
Posted by Saddened! on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:28 pm
Saddened! User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 162
Rep Position: 168th / 77,932

Good. Finally someone hard enough to sort out Warrington's Ultras.
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:56 am
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 787
Rep Position: 13th / 77,932

Bartholemew Smythe wrote:
Good news for RSB ,as they`re a team who have actually got roots within Serbia. Hope they do well and are admitted.Not looking forward to the usual suspects derailling every thread to reinforce their stance.

They certainly do. This is the best news I have heard since the announcements of New York and Ottawa. Combine Red Star Belgrade with Toronto, New York, Ottawa, Toulouse, and Catalans, and you will have six non-English teams --- a truly international transatlantic Super League. What a future for rugby league!
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Re: Red star Belgrade bid to join league 1
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:21 am
Posted by wrencat1873 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:21 am
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
They certainly do. This is the best news I have heard since the announcements of New York and Ottawa. Combine Red Star Belgrade with Toronto, New York, Ottawa, Toulouse, and Catalans, and you will have six non-English teams --- a truly international transatlantic Super League. What a future for rugby league!

3 clubs in the top flight incapable of producing their own players sounds like a great way to secure the games future plus, Catalan and Toulouse fighting over just a handful of French players.
It all seems a far cry form clubs having to have a particular number of "club trained" players in their squad - a rule brought in to try ensure that SL clubs were "doing their bit" for the future of the game. Suddenly, a player trained in Wigan or Leeds is equal to being from Canada :CRAZY:

Of course, the new sides could be the first seeds of the game expanding beyond the heartlands of the North of England, which should be applauded but, is their any kind of long term strategy or, is this more finger crossing and desperation form our sport.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:28 am
Posted by Grimmy on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:28 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 363
Rep Position: 67th / 77,932

Quiz Score: 248

wrencat1873 wrote:
Catalan and Toulouse fighting over just a handful of French players.

Think you're doing a massive disservice to the French amateur game there. They have country's worth of players to themselves between them. Cas and Wakey have a far smaller catchment, and even then will have competition from more successful sides further afield (e.g Wigan's best young prospect is from Halifax, but we couldn't realistically poach a youngster from South France).
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:37 am
Posted by rollin thunder on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:37 am
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 578
Rep Position: 27th / 77,932

wrencat1873 wrote:
I dont think that Belgrade are but, Toronto on the other hand will have to rely on the UK and "Aus" for as long as I'm left breathing.
If we are to expand into new areas, it cannot be at the expense of existing clubs that are fulfilling their obligations to develop young players atc, it's just wrong and in the long term will kill the game.
As I said, Belgrade dont come into this category and aren't 3500 miles away so, good luck to them.

You are one of the only anti Toronto brigade who actually comes up with reasonable counter arguments, rather than "I don't want foreign teams"
I see you as more a sceptic rather than totally anti expansion anyway.

I am an expansionist but in favour of controlled planned expansion and I am not really a massively fan of Toronto I have always been in favour of at least 1 if not 2 French teams rather than North America, but I do love how it winds up the flat capper types.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:39 am
Posted by wrencat1873 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:39 am
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:
Think you're doing a massive disservice to the French amateur game there. They have country's worth of players to themselves. Cas and Wakey have a far smaller catchment, and even then will have competition from more successful sides further afield (e.g Wigan's best young prospect is from Halifax).

I agree, there are in theory plenty of French players.
However, how many are capable of making the grade in SL ??

If there were many more players that were good enough then, surely, some more would have either made it at Catalan or, elsewhere in the sport.
I wonder how many Frenchman have ever made it in Australia ?

If they can achieve promotion, Toulouse would be a great addition to SL and a French derby game, where both sides were of equal standing would be great - I'd actually want to go as a neutral.
Next