WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The future of RL in the northern hemisphere

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace The future of RL in the northern hemisphere

Posted by Donnyman on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 am
Donnyman Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 16
Rep Position: 112th / 77,948

Quiz Score: 0

Steph Curry wrote:
You keep saying this then offer no evidence what so ever.

I look forward to the direct quotes from super league executives.

Cheers

Steph, you and Jean tell me all sorts of lovely things about TWP, Toulouse, Catalans, Ottawa and New York. Where is the evidence for any of that hot air? All we have for New York is a limited merchandise site selling a few T shirts and bob hats off? Once they are gone all the evidence for NY is then hot air from a Huddersfield schoolteacher. Name me the board of directors and the investments they have put in at New York please??

Here's the direct quote from McManus on behalf of Superleague "Toronto is a team of English and antipodeans owned by a Australian, They have got to start producing players from Canada"

So there is your direct quote, replied to in the press by McDermott who said they aren't producing any such players. Over to you to look his exact words up which will help you break the habit of making it up. Until you answer this there isn't any point to a debate with you.
Last edited by Donnyman on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Posted by Donnyman on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:39 am
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

little wayne69 wrote:
I look forward to you countering his opinion

I don't do opinions mate, I just look and read up on what the journos report and the clubs say. The journo Dave Woods asked Perez what was the point of TWP what would they bring to the game. That is on record in an interview you can look up on You Tube. Perez said they would add new players and new TV money to the game here. People should look that up and then look up McDermotts recent interviews where he admits TWP haven't achieved a single Canadian pro player or a single cent in TV money.

How clear can the facts be made before the Steph's and Jean's stop telling us Canada is the future?

If Canada is the future why is the Architect of this brave new world sat in the CEO's office at Bradford Bulls?? After all there is sooooo much work to do in Ottawa to get ready to join the leagues here :lol: What's going on here is some people hear only what they want to hear and TBF RL rags provide them with it..........
Last edited by Donnyman on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by Donnyman on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:51 am
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Steph Curry wrote:
The fact I am questioning him is exactly what debate means lol

OK my turn Steph........In three years how many of the pro level North American players TWP were going to produce from grid iron conversions "pretty quickly" are now in the game and how many North American TV dollars have TWP been paid in signed contracts for the rights to show the glamorous TWP?

New TV players and new TV money was promised in return for joining the leagues here. Where is this money? Where are these players now they are in Superleague? Over to you?
Posted by Donnyman on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:08 am
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

bramleyrhino wrote:

1. What do you propose TW actually need to add to their squad?

2. The whole argument that the TV would be better with Bradford, Widnes and Leigh in SL seems to be.....laughable.

The idea you knew more about Marketing than Gary Hetherington was laughable, but anyway that was just half time. 1-0 to me.

1. TWP need to add to their squad the top class college football Athletes they were going to convert "pretty quickly" to Superleague level professionals.

2. SKY is an English TV subscription channel who make nothing from overseas clubs. McManus was clear SKY need an English League for English clubs and subs. In turn SL need English fixtures as they draw bigger crowds....... Hull.v.HKR 23,002 Bradford.v.Leeds 23,373 Wigan.v.Leigh 15,699 etc.....

3-0
Posted by The Silent H on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:25 am
The Silent H Stevo's Armpit

Donnyman wrote:
I don't do opinions mate, I just look and read up on what the journos report and the clubs say. The journo Dave Woods asked Perez what was the point of TWP what would they bring to the game. That is on record in an interview you can look up on You Tube. Perez said they would add new players and new TV money to the game here. People should look that up and then look up McDermotts recent interviews where he admits TWP haven't achieved a single Canadian pro player or a single cent in TV money.

How clear can the facts be made before the Steph's and Jean's stop telling us Canada is the future?

If Canada is the future why is the Architect of this brave new world sat in the CEO's office at Bradford Bulls?? After all there is sooooo much work to do in Ottawa to get ready to join the leagues here :lol: What's going on here is some people hear only what they want to hear and TBF RL rags provide them with it..........

Great post and viewpoint Donnyman, saying it how it is. Out of curiosity, who do you support? Let me guess, not Toronto?
Posted by Cokey on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:02 pm
Cokey User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 956
Rep Position: th / 77,948

Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Donnyman wrote:
The idea you knew more about Marketing than Gary Hetherington was laughable, but anyway that was just half time. 1-0 to me.

1. TWP need to add to their squad the top class college football Athletes they were going to convert "pretty quickly" to Superleague level professionals.

2. SKY is an English TV subscription channel who make nothing from overseas clubs. McManus was clear SKY need an English League for English clubs and subs. In turn SL need English fixtures as they draw bigger crowds....... Hull.v.HKR 23,002 Bradford.v.Leeds 23,373 Wigan.v.Leigh 15,699 etc.....

3-0

:lol: :lol: :thumb:

Posted by MattyB on Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:33 pm
MattyB User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 240
Rep Position: th / 77,948

Couple of rumours going round our forum that the proposed SKY TV deal isn't going well.

Anyone else heard anything?

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=539794&start=15870

Itchy Arsenal wrote:
The offer is I have been led to believe "game changing"
in that if it is the only offer available then major structural changes would have to be made within the game.

I believe that there is a meeting next week at the club to get views on what changes may have to occur.

Elstone has been very quiet of late and I'm wondering if that is because there are no other offers on the table at the moment.

Grimmy wrote:
Yes, a big giveaway was a year or so ago during the breakaway. The scenarios offered to the Championship clubs were 'if it stays the same' and 'if it reduces', they didn't even consider an increase option. There's other information I've been privy to which I can't share that indicates a reduction too, but in short yes, definitely expecting a reduced offer. Not sure what I'd do if I were the RFL, and not confident they know either. All very well talking about Amazon, BT etc but it only works if they're interested.
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016 & 2018

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011 & 2013

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010 & 2012

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 & 2018

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Posted by IR80 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:11 pm
IR80 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 159
Rep Position: 39th / 77,948

My nana told my uncle who told his mate who told her friend who told her doctor who told his golf buddy who told his boss, said boss turned around and said "stop making things up, you look a prize fool"..
it is an endemis thing with Rugby fans in the off season, we speculate about things that, in all honesty, we know nothing about.

The RFL do not control the SL broadcasting rights, move on minnow little league teams.
Posted by Donnyman on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 am
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

MattyB wrote:

Couple of rumours going round our forum that the proposed SKY TV deal isn't going well. Anyone else heard anything?

Rumours on forums don't have half the truth that published articles by RL journalists may have, albeit even then Journo's can be wrong.

I've followed the TV deal story closely after the RFL and the clubs fell out on the last massive deal of £200M which led to the top Superleague bosses (Lenegan, Davey, Moran, Pearson, Hudgell and Koukash) demanding the £200M be spent on Superleague whilst the RFL's Wood and Solly divided it up across the game wasting many £Millions. That fall out saw the RFL decimated and leaving Red Hall for a Portakabin somewhere on Saddleworth moor. SL are now in charge of negotiations so expect the Championship clubs to get nothing.

The main issue here is the massive £200M was paid to secure a quick deal to make sure BT sport (who Lenegan wanted to talk to) didn't pinch Rugby league from SKY. On that basis I don't believe SKY are losing interest at all, only that (and they say this themselves) they won't be paying £200M this time but will pay a fair price. Yes the SKY deal will reduce but that doesn't mean reduced interest from SKY. The likely deal will be lower but enough to subsidise Superleague for several more years to come in another repeat deal that started 24 years ago.

So it may be fair to assume SL clubs will get the same amount of money plus something for inflation, but SKY won't be subsidising Championship clubs this time nor will they subsidise the phoney Canadian club - as simple as that. The deal will be less money then last time but what the 11 SL clubs get will probably NOT be less money than last time. Why would SKY cheapen the product of Superleague? Self defeating. Instead they won't pay that extra they did last time to fight off BT that got wasted on the Championship.
Posted by IR80 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:12 am
IR80 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 159
Rep Position: 39th / 77,948

Donnyman wrote:
Rumours on forums don't have half the truth that published articles by RL journalists may have, albeit even then Journo's can be wrong.

I've followed the TV deal story closely after the RFL and the clubs fell out on the last massive deal of £200M which led to the top Superleague bosses (Lenegan, Davey, Moran, Pearson, Hudgell and Koukash) demanding the £200M be spent on Superleague whilst the RFL's Wood and Solly divided it up across the game wasting many £Millions. That fall out saw the RFL decimated and leaving Red Hall for a Portakabin somewhere on Saddleworth moor. SL are now in charge of negotiations so expect the Championship clubs to get nothing.

The main issue here is the massive £200M was paid to secure a quick deal to make sure BT sport (who Lenegan wanted to talk to) didn't pinch Rugby league from SKY. On that basis I don't believe SKY are losing interest at all, only that (and they say this themselves) they won't be paying £200M this time but will pay a fair price. Yes the SKY deal will reduce but that doesn't mean reduced interest from SKY. The likely deal will be lower but enough to subsidise Superleague for several more years to come in another repeat deal that started 24 years ago.

So it may be fair to assume SL clubs will get the same amount of money plus something for inflation, but SKY won't be subsidising Championship clubs this time nor will they subsidise the phoney Canadian club - as simple as that. The deal will be less money then last time but what the 11 SL clubs get will probably NOT be less money than last time. Why would SKY cheapen the product of Superleague? Self defeating. Instead they won't pay that extra they did last time to fight off BT that got wasted on the Championship.

Nail, Hammer & Head
PreviousNext