WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The future of RL in the northern hemisphere

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace The future of RL in the northern hemisphere


Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 1273
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
The real future of rugby league in the northern hemisphere is at Toulouse, which is a club with not only local players, but also, unlike London Broncos, the capacity to draw good crowds, as we saw with the visit of Toronto in 2019.


French RL cannot produce many professional quality players to SL standard. It is sadly too small a game now. There are only a handful of french players that are first choice for their SL clubs.
The inclusion of Catalans has only seen their team stuffed more and more with English and NRL players. It will be the same for Toulouse if they wanted to compete in SL.

As for the crowd Toulouse did a fantastic job with the TWP game. However on their way to Superleague via the play offs they played York before 1,132 fans and then Featherstone before 1,068. This was very very poor indeed. This last week Tas Baitieri has come out and revealed the sad state of affairs in the french game, kids don't want to play anymore and the standard of the Elite League is also very poor.

And so we go in the ever eternal circle of people making up clubs of no substance, inventing trans-european, trans atlantic and even global leagues to put them in and then declaring what a massive success it will all be?

tyr wrote:
tyr Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:15 am
Posts: 404
Location: Egham-ish
At the moment I am struggling to see a future for rugby league in England as a fully professional sport. The truth is that, for the vast bulk of its history rugby league in this country was semi-professional. Even when Wigan were at their height pre-superleague they still had numerous players with "proper jobs". The only thing that allowed the game to go genuinely full-time professional was an influx of money from Sky when they were willing to splash huge amounts of cash to acquire as much sport as possible. Now that the TV landscape has changed that money may not be available any longer. To me, rugby league in this country has three options - secure another reasonably lucrative TV deal (if that is even possible), make up that revenue from other sources (I can't see how this can happen at the moment) or start preparing to manage the transition back to a semi-pro game. Since the NRL is in a much more advantageous financial situation than here, that third possibility then basically kills international rugby league outside of the immediate orbit of Australia.
Would this be the death of the sport over here? Perhaps. Sports don't "die" as long as there are people that want to watch and play but I feel that our game has been artificially living beyond its means for twenty-odd years, and I worry that we are on the verge of a reckoning.
"I have this system where I support England first, then the other Home Nations, then the rest of the Commonwealth, then the rest of the World, then France."

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 14617
tyr wrote:
At the moment I am struggling to see a future for rugby league in England as a fully professional sport. The truth is that, for the vast bulk of its history rugby league in this country was semi-professional. Even when Wigan were at their height pre-superleague they still had numerous players with "proper jobs". The only thing that allowed the game to go genuinely full-time professional was an influx of money from Sky when they were willing to splash huge amounts of cash to acquire as much sport as possible. Now that the TV landscape has changed that money may not be available any longer. To me, rugby league in this country has three options - secure another reasonably lucrative TV deal (if that is even possible), make up that revenue from other sources (I can't see how this can happen at the moment) or start preparing to manage the transition back to a semi-pro game. Since the NRL is in a much more advantageous financial situation than here, that third possibility then basically kills international rugby league outside of the immediate orbit of Australia.
Would this be the death of the sport over here? Perhaps. Sports don't "die" as long as there are people that want to watch and play but I feel that our game has been artificially living beyond its means for twenty-odd years, and I worry that we are on the verge of a reckoning.


Your comment about RL being semi professional for most of its history, is just irrelevant.
Most sports, especially Union start out as amateur.

However with TV and advertising capable of offering plenty of "investment" into many sport's, which in turn allows those sports to pay their participants, which in turn increase the fitness and in theory the speed and quality of the athletes taking part.

If, however, you are suggesting that RL in the UK and Europe is no longer capable of attracting sufficient revenue to fund a full time professional league, well, that is something completely different. The question then would be, what happens to the current pro clubs and players.

The better players would migrate to Union or down under and the rest would either play amateur or semi pro sport or "get a proper job" and we would be left with something similar to the National League in France.

However, it's a downward spiral and the sport has to grow or die, at least as any kind of pro sport.
Exiled down south Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:13 am
Posts: 973
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
The real future of rugby league in the northern hemisphere is at Toulouse, which is a club with not only local players, but also, unlike London Broncos, the capacity to draw good crowds, as we saw with the visit of Toronto in 2019.


Accepting you are being provocative, why is the future of RL based solely in one town/city in France. London the capital of the UK with investment could be huge.
Wire Quin at work

User avatarLeedsLurch wrote:
LeedsLurch User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:25 am
Posts: 414
Everyone has valid points on the growth of the game but all seem to be missing the main way to increase spectators on to the terraces. The only way that we will grow numbers and get the big sponsors to follow is at grass roots level. Until you have teams at under 6/7/8 like union and football do then there will be no significant increase in growth. You have to have the kids wanting to play/watch and that translates to bums on seats at the top level
Loving the success and the silverware, keep them coming :)

JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:09 pm
Posts: 6809
Location: Carcassonne, France
Exiled down south wrote:
Accepting you are being provocative, why is the future of RL based solely in one town/city in France. London the capital of the UK with investment could be huge.


London is a soccer city. It will never change. No corporates will invest in rugby league in London.

Toulouse has a strong rugby history and fan base.

Toulouse is a better bet for building rugby league.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!

IR80 wrote:
IR80 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:59 am
Posts: 2215
Exiled down south wrote:
Accepting you are being provocative, why is the future of RL based solely in one town/city in France. London the capital of the UK with investment could be huge.

London have had MASSIVE investment and done nothing with it.

User avatarthe artist wrote:
the artist User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:40 pm
Posts: 6702
Location: At the cider bus, Worthy Farm, Somerset
AXE2GRIND wrote:
LONDON BRONCOS STARTING 17 for the 2020 season.
Average age 23 with 17 london trained..... We may not win, we may not host cool beer festivals, but WE ARE LONDON!
1. Ashall-Bott
2. Egodo
3. Armitage
4. Lovell
5. Dixon
6. Aston
7. Smith
8. Battye
9. Pellisier
10. Butler
11. Walters
12. Curran
13. Adebiyi
14. Fozard
15. Richards
16. Krasniqi
17. Meadows

Lightweight squad in terms of injury back up..... But id take london, fax and fev over the mercanaries any day.


i'll be seeing a few of those on sunday when they play hull fc at brantingham park. looking forward to it
The referee's indecision is final

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 1273
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

London is a soccer city. It will never change. No corporates will invest in rugby league in London. Toulouse has a strong rugby history and fan base.



There's no such thing as debate with you let alone facts. Toulouse have no money, Toulouse's fan base was laid bare in the play off's with only 1,000 fans a game and Toulouse don't develop pro/SL quality players in any number at all, the odd few go to Catalans as they can't develop many as the French grass roots game is dying and so on to.....
Last edited by Donnyman on Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donnyman wrote:
Donnyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am
Posts: 1273
wrencat1873 wrote:
However, it's a downward spiral and the sport has to grow or die, at least as any kind of pro sport.


The sport broke away from Union in 1896. Clubs like Hull, Leeds, Wakefield, Saints, Wigan and Warrington did this.

They hoped to expand and clubs like South Shields, Coventry, Ebbw Vale, Streatham and Mitcham, Lancaster and Liverpool came and went.

"Growth" failed and continued to fail from 1896 to 2020. It hasn't grown in 124 years but nor has it died - the last quarter of a century has seen it operate professionally.

It only dies two ways.

1. If the game can no longer get a paying TV deal or
2. If the game substitutes real clubs of substance for phoney nonsense clubs.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 90 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
5,084,89157278,2854,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts


Visit the RLFANS.COM SHOP
for more merchandise!



X