WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news

Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:30 pm  

User avatarthe artist wrote:
the artist User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:40 pm
Posts: 6721
Location: At the cider bus, Worthy Farm, Somerset
Just caught the last bit of Martin Kelner on hawksbee and jacobs show on talksport, where he seemed to be implying that sky were either reducing the TV deal substantially or not offering a new one at all. Obviously a bit worrying but as I only caught the very end I wonder if anyone heard the whole thing and can clarify
The referee's indecision is final
Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:35 pm  

JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:09 pm
Posts: 6809
Location: Carcassonne, France
the artist wrote:
Just caught the last bit of Martin Kelner on hawksbee and jacobs show on talksport, where he seemed to be implying that sky were either reducing the TV deal substantially or not offering a new one at all. Obviously a bit worrying but as I only caught the very end I wonder if anyone heard the whole thing and can clarify


I didn't hear it because that program is not broadcast here in Kiev. But if your impression was correct then rugby league is in big trouble.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 pm  

User avatarbramleyrhino wrote:
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:39 pm
Posts: 12792
Location: Leeds 13
the artist wrote:
Just caught the last bit of Martin Kelner on hawksbee and jacobs show on talksport, where he seemed to be implying that sky were either reducing the TV deal substantially or not offering a new one at all. Obviously a bit worrying but as I only caught the very end I wonder if anyone heard the whole thing and can clarify


Assuming it is true (and it's TalkSport, so it's a decently proportioned assumption), can anyone really be suprised?

The whole argument for a bigger TV deal seems to be "but we want one", justified by some gerrymandered stats around opening week TV figures and the viewing figures for a Grand Final played during an international football week.

I certainly don't see SL offering anything tangible to Sky that they don't already pay for and in many cases, given how the TV and advertising model has evolved, we're actually offering them less value that we were when the previous deal was hastily signed.
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls


Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.


Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.
Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:03 pm  

JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:09 pm
Posts: 6809
Location: Carcassonne, France
bramleyrhino wrote:
Assuming it is true (and it's TalkSport, so it's a decently proportioned assumption), can anyone really be suprised?

The whole argument for a bigger TV deal seems to be "but we want one", justified by some gerrymandered stats around opening week TV figures and the viewing figures for a Grand Final played during an international football week.

I certainly don't see SL offering anything tangible to Sky that they don't already pay for and in many cases, given how the TV and advertising model has evolved, we're actually offering them less value that we were when the previous deal was hastily signed.


I would think that if we could get London back into Super League, and Toulouse also promoted into Super League, with Toronto being retained there, by 2022, with the prospect of New York and perhaps Ottawa joining in 2023 or 2024, then the RFL would be offering a more interesting and thus valuable schedule to Sky and all other potential broadcasters. A Super League team list that is not so obviously confined to the M62 corridor will appeal to viewers, especially foreign born viewers, in the more cosmopolitan south of England. If my Super League promotion scenario was to happen, then rugby league would have a good chance of getting at least the same if not more money in the next contract.

Unfortunately promotion and relegation precludes my scenario from being a certainty, while obviously a return to licensing could guarantee it.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:08 pm  

User avatarthe artist wrote:
the artist User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:40 pm
Posts: 6721
Location: At the cider bus, Worthy Farm, Somerset
I've had a catch up listen, and it was just speculation that sky might be giving it up as they will be spending even more on fending off other companies from their golden egg of premier League football. No concrete evidence of anything, though they implied that the negotiations had been difficult. They ended by saying more news on it on Friday. But it does look like it might be bad or at best
underwhelming news at some point
The referee's indecision is final
Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:34 pm  
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 2468
I heard the broadcast, and it sounded very negative in respect of the deal that SL will get with Sky, should there be one.
Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:39 pm  

User avatarbramleyrhino wrote:
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:39 pm
Posts: 12792
Location: Leeds 13
the artist wrote:
I've had a catch up listen, and it was just speculation that sky might be giving it up as they will be spending even more on fending off other companies from their golden egg of premier League football. No concrete evidence of anything, though they implied that the negotiations had been difficult. They ended by saying more news on it on Friday. But it does look like it might be bad or at best
underwhelming news at some point


This will be the first test of many club chief execs / owners "putting their money where their mouth is" when it comes to the TV deal.

There has been no shortage of high profile people pointing at how poor the RFL-negotiated deal (that they voted for) was - I look forward to those same people demonstrating how much better they are in due course.
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls


Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.


Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.
Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:53 pm  
Ornery Optimist Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:51 pm
Posts: 4546
bramleyrhino wrote:
This will be the first test of many club chief execs / owners "putting their money where their mouth is" when it comes to the TV deal.

There has been no shortage of high profile people pointing at how poor the RFL-negotiated deal (that they voted for) was - I look forward to those same people demonstrating how much better they are in due course.


I think those people are at Super League clubs and have appointed Mr Elstone to do the successful negotiation(s).
The complaint was the haste of agreeing to the current deal without trying any other company,except Sky.
Lenagan
Koukash
No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.
Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:19 pm  

ALAW wrote:
ALAW Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:11 am
Posts: 134
Hopefully they won't get exclusive rights again. Maybe the 3 main fixtures bit have min 1 on free to watch TV. Don't know the viewing figures but more people seemed to watch the union when it was on chanel 5 the other week than of it was on sky
Re: Talksport this afternoon. TV deal news Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:21 pm  

User avatarAXE2GRIND wrote:
AXE2GRIND User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:08 pm
Posts: 423
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
I didn't hear it because that program is not broadcast here in Kiev.
:roll:
https://talksport.com/
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adam_Harrison9, Ed3, g_balls, LyndsayGill, Mable_Syrup, The Silent H and 96 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,118,8591,14178,4374,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and fixtures and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
Please Support RLFANS.COM


YOU HAVE RL FIXTURES OFF
RLFANS Recent Posts




X