WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RL expansion is alive and well

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace RL expansion is alive and well

RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:40 am
Posted by fartown since 1961 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:40 am
fartown since 1961 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 248th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 pm
Posts: 1213
Forget Canada the real current power house of Rugby League expansion is the South Sea Islands and their ‘power house’ forwards that have decimated GB’s raft of NRL and Super-league ‘stars’

Some play in the NRL and are stand out players just look at the ones that come to Super-league and play well.

If ever there was a moment that British rugby league stood at a cross roads with a Canadian team shouting for more marque players and no salary cap and a stop on restricting them playing Australian and South Sea Island players instead of UK ones then this is it.

The ill judged scheme for increasing the number of overseas players and overseas teams into a British league is going to lead to the slowing of the development of our own players and lead to us becoming a fourth rate international nation.

For every English club that is replaced in Super-league by Toronto and New York etc. The academy and development of our players will reduce replaced by a false expansion created by teams that are not developing players either in their country of origin or the UK.

Expansion is alive and well in a Tonga, Fiji and PNG playing a game at high speed and with a toughness that is built on a proud heritage that we are prepared to lose to bring in a Canadian millionaire team who want to change the rules to the detriment of our game.

We seem to want to fill our team with second rate international antipodeans with dubious connection to our country.

Our playing depth is getting poorer take out a few players and we have a poor team and players that don’t want to dig in when the going gets tough.

For all of you that will call me a Neanderthal I agree with expansion as we have seen over the last few weeks but not the crazy style we are following if we change our rules to accommodate short term teams from Nth America.

The proper and long term expansion in the South Seas looks so good just imagine if Australia and NZ weren’t allowed to poach these players and use them before ‘giving them back’ RL would become a much more attractive game on the a International stage.

Our way using Catalans hasn’t worked as the French team would be playing to a much higher standard like the South Sea Island ones if it had.....
Re: RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:50 am
Posted by rollin thunder on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:50 am
rollin thunder Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 573
Rep Position: 26th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm
Posts: 3429
No such place as the “south sea islands”

Tonga fiji samoa cook island's etc are sometimes collectively known as the “south Pacific islands”
Re: RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:56 am
Posted by fartown since 1961 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:56 am
fartown since 1961 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 66
Rep Position: 248th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 pm
Posts: 1213
rollin thunder wrote:
No such place as the “south sea islands”

Tonga fiji samoa cook island's etc are sometimes collectively known as the “south Pacific islands”


Call em what you want the name doesn’t matter it’s the way they play Rugby League that does...
Re: RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:58 am
Posted by roopy on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:58 am
roopy Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 30
Rep Position: 284th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:00 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Newcastle, Hunter Valley
These are some of the poorest countries on earth.
PNG has more people and a bigger economy than the rest combined, but per capita they are still amongst the poorest people on earth.
Re: RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:52 pm
Posted by Wellsy13 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:52 pm
Wellsy13 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 80
Rep Position: 234th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:42 pm
Posts: 9988
Location: Hull

How can the inclusion of overseas teams like Toronto and New York be the reason for poor development of British players?

Similarly, what is this pseudo development you're talking about in the South Seas Islands by the NRL? PNG have a side in the NSW Cup (just like we introduced a French side and Canadian side).
The rest are just heritage players mainly. Unless our strategy for international development is converting all our immigrants to make new rugby league playing nations (which we're failing at with the home nations!) then I can't see us competing.
Image
Re: RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:06 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:06 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1148
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12670
In reply to the op, I think teams from that part of the world should be invited into SL a.s.a.p.
May as well let anyone for anywhere into the league, logistics aren't a problem anymore :LIAR:

On a serious note, GB were beaten by a more enthusiastic and committed side, buoyed by a passionate home crowd.
GB on the other hand looked tired, uninterested and ready for home and that was before a ball had been kicked.

The players from PNG, if good enough, will be snapped up by sides in the NRL and SL
Re: RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 pm
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 pm
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 756
Rep Position: 14th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:09 pm
Posts: 6735
Location: Carcassonne, France
PNG had several NRL/SL players in their team: Alexander Johnston (South Sydney), Edene Gebbie (South Sydney), Justin Olam (Melbourne), and David Mead (Catalans). There should be more to come after today's performance. Ipape looks like the real deal.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Re: RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:39 pm
Posted by Clearwing on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:39 pm
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 589
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 7487
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
PNG had several NRL/SL players in their team: Alexander Johnston (South Sydney), Edene Gebbie (South Sydney), Justin Olam (Melbourne), and David Mead (Catalans). There should be more to come after today's performance. Ipape looks like the real deal.


You can add in Rhyse Martin
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell
Re: RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1148
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 12670
Talking of PNG players, there was a superb article on the BBC RL feed recently about the work that Stanley Gene had done back home.
Getting running water into his village and helping to set up a school for the local youngsters.
He was an excellent player but, the work done "back home" is absolutely top draw, what a bloke and a credit to the sport and to his country. :BOW: :BOW: :BOW:
Re: RL expansion is alive and well
Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm
Posted by MorePlaymakersNeeded on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm
MorePlaymakersNeeded Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 868
Rep Position: 8th / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am
Posts: 1546
fartown since 1961 wrote:
Forget Canada the real current power house of Rugby League expansion is the South Sea Islands and their ‘power house’ forwards that have decimated GB’s raft of NRL and Super-league ‘stars’

Some play in the NRL and are stand out players just look at the ones that come to Super-league and play well.

If ever there was a moment that British rugby league stood at a cross roads with a Canadian team shouting for more marque players and no salary cap and a stop on restricting them playing Australian and South Sea Island players instead of UK ones then this is it.

The ill judged scheme for increasing the number of overseas players and overseas teams into a British league is going to lead to the slowing of the development of our own players and lead to us becoming a fourth rate international nation.

For every English club that is replaced in Super-league by Toronto and New York etc. The academy and development of our players will reduce replaced by a false expansion created by teams that are not developing players either in their country of origin or the UK.

Expansion is alive and well in a Tonga, Fiji and PNG playing a game at high speed and with a toughness that is built on a proud heritage that we are prepared to lose to bring in a Canadian millionaire team who want to change the rules to the detriment of our game.

We seem to want to fill our team with second rate international antipodeans with dubious connection to our country.

Our playing depth is getting poorer take out a few players and we have a poor team and players that don’t want to dig in when the going gets tough.

For all of you that will call me a Neanderthal I agree with expansion as we have seen over the last few weeks but not the crazy style we are following if we change our rules to accommodate short term teams from Nth America.

The proper and long term expansion in the South Seas looks so good just imagine if Australia and NZ weren’t allowed to poach these players and use them before ‘giving them back’ RL would become a much more attractive game on the a International stage.

Our way using Catalans hasn’t worked as the French team would be playing to a much higher standard like the South Sea Island ones if it had.....

That ship has already sailed. The quality of SL has plummeted over the past decade, and shows no sign of improving.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HXSparky and 131 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,985,17681477,9054,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 30th Jan 19:45
SL
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
WARRINGTON
Fri 31st Jan 19:30
 CH
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
LEIGH
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Fri 31st Jan 19:45
SL
ST.HELENS
v
SALFORD
Sat 1st Feb 17:00
SL
CATALAN DRAGONS
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Sat 1st Feb 19:30
 CH
TOULOUSE
v
YORK
Sun 2nd Feb 14:30
SL
TORONTO
v
CASTLEFORD
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
LONDON BRONCOS
Sun 2nd Feb 15:00
 CH
HALIFAX
v
SHEFFIELD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)





2