Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:42 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:42 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1148
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,905

Quiz Score: 0

No double standards to look after the "big 4".
The biggest shock is that they have even reported it !
Re: Leeds Salary Cap Breach
Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:59 pm
Posted by christopher on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:59 pm
christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 571
Rep Position: 27th / 77,905

People probably should read up on the new rules regarding punishments for Salary Cap breaches which was agreed by....

The Super League clubs.

There is no conspiracy and no favouritism.

However I do think the punishments are too lenient.
Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:04 pm
Posted by christopher on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:04 pm
christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Saddened! wrote:
Absolutely unbelieveable really. Throws all this 'it's a live salary cap' out of the water again. The RFL/Super League are incompetent and this kind of thing just dilutes the trust people have in the game.

The punishment, if you can call it that, is ridiculously lenient. It's almost encouraging teams to break the cap, if the fine is going to amount to around a fifth of the breach. What is the incentive for teams to actually comply with the cap when breaking it is so leniently dealt with?

If anything, the deception in this is what makes it worse. 'Failure to declare payments to three players' is the bad end of the moral spectrum as well. It's not a Wigan-style breach of the spirit of the cap, it's out and out salary cap fraud.

This is where the sport shows it's unfairness as well. Leeds have received that punishment and I'm entirely confident the likes of Saints, Wigan and Warrington would escape with the same. What would happen if say Hull KR or Wakefield or Salford did that? They'd be looking at a 6-12 point deduction for the following season.

Not quite how I read the ‘breach’ but I could be wrong. They did submit the increase in monthly wages to the RFL for the live cap as two of the players went from part time to full time but didn’t submit the contracts till the end if the year.

Pretty stupid for a supposedly well run club
Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:29 pm
Posted by FearTheVee on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:29 pm
FearTheVee User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 136
Rep Position: 182nd / 77,905

christopher wrote:
Not quite how I read the ‘breach’ but I could be wrong. They did submit the increase in monthly wages to the RFL for the live cap as two of the players went from part time to full time but didn’t submit the contracts till the end if the year.

Pretty stupid for a supposedly well run club

Gary did lead with the two players being included in the live cap, but he then went on to talk about a new contract for Parcell they didn't tell anyone about (in my reading anyway). . . . .

"Matt Parcell also had his contract extended at the start of the season and whilst the increased monthly payments were paid the contract wasn’t signed and lodged with the RFL until the end of the season"

So he said - it's just a minor breach because all we did is improve a player's contract without telling anyone or recording the increased payments.

Also is he seriously trying to tell us that monitoring your own payroll is a complex task? Really?!
Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 pm
Posted by Saddened! on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 pm
Saddened! User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 154
Rep Position: 165th / 77,905

christopher wrote:
People probably should read up on the new rules regarding punishments for Salary Cap breaches which was agreed by....

The Super League clubs.

There is no conspiracy and no favouritism.

However I do think the punishments are too lenient.

Have those rules changed recently? I remember Salford being deducted points and Wigan had points deducted for less of a breach than Leeds, albeit removed on appeal.
Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:38 pm
Posted by nottinghamtiger on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:38 pm
nottinghamtiger Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 223
Rep Position: 121st / 77,905

If they were over in 2018, surely they are over in 2019?
We know that they signed Merrin and Hurrell as marquee players, so they will have counted as 150k each on the cap. Plus Lolohea who wouldn’t have been cheap.
Did they really lose 300k+ worth of players between 2018 and 2019?
Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:38 pm
Posted by christopher on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:38 pm
christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

FearTheVee wrote:
Gary did lead with the two players being included in the live cap, but he then went on to talk about a new contract for Parcell they didn't tell anyone about (in my reading anyway). . . . .

"Matt Parcell also had his contract extended at the start of the season and whilst the increased monthly payments were paid the contract wasn’t signed and lodged with the RFL until the end of the season"

So he said - it's just a minor breach because all we did is improve a player's contract without telling anyone or recording the increased payments.

Also is he seriously trying to tell us that monitoring your own payroll is a complex task? Really?!

Ah yes reading it again the Parcell one does look very dodgy, Hetherington has had his eye off the ball for a few years I think

The new rules are very lenient surely the fine should equal or exceed the actual breach
Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm
Posted by christopher on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm
christopher User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

nottinghamtiger wrote:
If they were over in 2018, surely they are over in 2019?
We know that they signed Merrin and Hurrell as marquee players, so they will have counted as 150k each on the cap. Plus Lolohea who wouldn’t have been cheap.
Did they really lose 300k+ worth of players between 2018 and 2019?

Ryan Hall and Joel Moon will have been on a fair chunk and they also released a fair few other players
Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm
Posted by Gallanteer on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm
Gallanteer User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 176
Rep Position: 151st / 77,905

FearTheVee wrote:

It'll be very interesting if, in a year's time, Leeds were found to have breached the salary cap in the 2019 season as well.

If this is a 'live' salary cap, why did it take a year for this to emerge?

With the way things are now going in the NRL (and Union), is the salary cap still working anyway or is it restricting the growth of SL?

Similarly, I'm no fan of Toronto, but if they are not receiving central funding, why should they be restricted by the salary cap?
And the Geek shall inherit the Earth!
Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm
Posted by nottinghamtiger on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:44 pm
nottinghamtiger Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 223
Rep Position: 121st / 77,905

christopher wrote:
Ryan Hall and Joel Moon will have been on a fair chunk and they also released a fair few other players

Agreed. But I’d be shocked if Hall and Moon combined would be on circa 400k.
And some of Hall’s wage would e exempt from the cap.
I just can’t see how they could have been over in 2018, but reduced their wage bill in 2019 with the signings they made.
PreviousNext